Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1961 - 1980 of 2011 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Covered by warranty at least, right? As it's part of powertrain, by virtue of being bolted to top of the motor. Indeed a worrisome thing when considering being in the hinterlands during a failure.
Do you know the torque specks on the oil cooler? I am changing mine now.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
75,232 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Believe it is 18ft-lbs IIRC, but would encourage you to confirm that. It does not take much. Part of why I change my own oil so that I can make sure some careless person doesn’t inadvertently go “gorilla tight” on that fragile filter
Cap-cooler assembly.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I assume you are replacing the entire oil cooler & filter housing assembly. If so, torque is 106 in-lbs in this sequence:

Lower manifold bolts are also 106 in-lbs in this sequence:

Upper manifold bolts are 89 in-lbs in this sequence:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Amazing what FCA could have saved if they had left this oil filter design as the traditional spin on metal style underneath the engine. I can't stand these cartridge style oil filters for all the aggravation/cost they create. My wife's Highlander has a canister style too but it's on the bottom of the engine at least. The thing is, the cap is made of cheap plastic and has three fins on each side that are used with a special keyed socket to take it off. Well, those fins are so weak they break. Replacement ones are $50!! I complained at the Toyota dealership about the cost and he said Toyota is in the process of switching back to the old metal spin on filters. Jeep, are you listening? Different doesn't mean better.

This reminds me of the germans who use lug bolts instead of lug nuts to hold tires on. Pain in the arse to get the holes lined up while trying to start threading a bolt at the same time. Yes, I know there's a tool to provide alignment A tool shouldn't be necessary to mount a dang tire. Just a case of the Germans trying to be better/different and failing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use this:
Aye, ye dirty bastard! another farkle to spend me hard earned coin on.... Thanks, bought, be here tomorrow.lol.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
A plastic oil cooler filled with 200+deg oil bolted to the hot engine valley and useing smashed rubber O rings to seal from leaks at full engine heat and oil PSI. What could go wrong with that. Just add the nightmare of a job to replace it. The part has been revised about 6 times now. What,, the 4th try couldn't get it right?? It's so stupid it's really LOLOLOL.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A plastic oil cooler filled with 200+deg oil bolted to the hot engine valley and useing smashed rubber O rings to seal from leaks at full engine heat and oil PSI. What could go wrong with that. Just add the nightmare of a job to replace it. The part has been revised about 6 times now. What,, the 4th try couldn't get it right?? It's so stupid it's really LOLOLOL.
Why is this piece called an oil cooler? I don’t get it.

Also, I would love to see the aftermarket come out with a remote oil filter relocation kit so we could eliminate this inferior pice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
At my work we have 12 Wranglers from 2016 and up, most of them over 160k km, I can say this oil cooler is a common problem, we replaced three of them and one for a Caravan with over 200k km. It is very dangerous because the oil leaks fast, luckily the check engine light comes on right away with an oil pressure code, so I would say anytime you have check engine light ON take a quick look under the car. I have a friend with a Chrysler 300 with same problem. When you replace it is good to replace also the small cooler hose which is connected to it, we used only OEM parts, I would stay away from AM because is a lot of work to replace it and is risky.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Why is this piece called an oil cooler? I don’t get it.

Also, I would love to see the aftermarket come out with a remote oil filter relocation kit so we could eliminate this inferior pice.
This part bolts to the engine in the valley and has a coolant line going to it to cool the oil. It is also the oil filter housing. It is simple and saves space under the hood, until it fails. Then it is a real pain.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This part bolts to the engine in the valley and has a coolant line going to it to cool the oil. It is also the oil filter housing. It is simple and saves space under the hood, until it fails. Then it is a real pain.
Thanks, I figured this was the case but for the life of me I couldn’t remember seeing any lines going into it back when mine failed and I can’t look at mine since I’ve loaned my Jeep to my brother for the last 8 months due to him being out of work.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You're a good dude. My wife doesn't even get to drive the Jeep and I am certainly not loaning it to my brother. :sneaky:
Ha, yeah well the only thing that makes this hard is he lost his job due to the Wuhan virus and I’m sure he blames Trump more than China for everything that‘s happened to him given his liberal leanings.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Ha, yeah well the only thing that makes this hard is he lost his job due to the Wuhan virus and I’m sure he blames Trump more than China for everything that‘s happened to him given his liberal leanings.
Avoiding a non Jeep related rant. He would never even sit in my Wrangler. That's the end of that.

Reactions: CTarna

·
Registered
508 Posts
Following up on this, I had mine replaced at 30k over 4 years ago when it was leaking badly. At 76k now it is still on the replacement without a major leak, and although I can tell the replacement weeps a bit of oil, it has never outright failed like the original part. What is interesting is that the video I made 4 years ago about this sees big traffic and comment spikes right when the outdoor temps drop in the late fall, and then through the winter until it warms again in the spring.

I would guess the design on this part does not handle big thermal changes well. The Pentastar is known to run hot and this is probably not helping it especially in the colder months. Like the Challenger disaster, apparently a knucklehead in materials engineering thought this design was "good enough". Nope. My own failure came after a 2,000 mile trip up through the Colorado Rockies and back which saw temps from 105 deg F in Denver to below freezing at the top of RMNP on the same day. I would not be surprised if elevation/ ambient pressure change plays a role as well, but it seems to be more closely related to wide temperature variation.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Yep,, rubber O rings with full engine oil PSI and temps. 225+ deg to 0 in the winter. What could possibly go wrong.

Reactions: Jjgibby523

·
Registered
180 Posts
At my work we have 12 Wranglers from 2016 and up, most of them over 160k km, I can say this oil cooler is a common problem, we replaced three of them and one for a Caravan with over 200k km. It is very dangerous because the oil leaks fast, luckily the check engine light comes on right away with an oil pressure code, so I would say anytime you have check engine light ON take a quick look under the car. I have a friend with a Chrysler 300 with same problem. When you replace it is good to replace also the small cooler hose which is connected to it, we used only OEM parts, I would stay away from AM because is a lot of work to replace it and is risky.
Had to replace mine on my 14 JKU at 66K miles in December of 2018. The check engine light never came on and boy was it leaking.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Replaced mine today in a 2015 JKU. 78,050 miles...

I'm glad I bought the Certified Pre owned. 100% covered by the warranty...

I really wasn't looking forward to doing it myself on the carport, in the winter

1961 - 1980 of 2011 Posts