Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
So I'm considering getting the Hard Rock 4X4 full cage for the Jeep.

Sport Cage:
http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-1030-1l.htm

Rear Overhead Center Bars:
http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-1030-a.htm

C-Pillars:
http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-1035.htm

Seeing as I'm still recovering from the tire purchase (man Jeeps are expensive!) I'll probably do it in stages. I'm thinking I'll start with the C-Pillars first to provide a little more protection around the kids. Then the center bars, then the full front cage.

Anyone else do it in pieces? I've read nothing but good things about the cage and I really like the company (eventually I want their skids too).

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Still loving the tires. I got 19.51 mpg last tank! I'm really not noticing much power loss either. It still has plenty get-up-and-go if I need it at a stop light. Also, driving up to steamboat last weekend there was a couple times I past people on a 2 lane highway (1 lane each direction). Had to down shift a couple gears but I passed them no problem.

We are camping up in Grand Lake this weekend so hopefully I'll be able to hit a couple trails up there.

And a picture of the Jeep in my work parking lot, not a bad view:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Fabulous area to live.
It is indeed!

We went camping up in Grand Lake this weekend. Didn't get a chance to do any 4 wheeling but it was still a lot of fun. We saw 8 moose over the 3 days we were up there. A mom and her baby walked right through out tent site. We also saw a bunch of elk and some deer.

Nature reserve Tree Grass Biome Plant community

Wildlife Terrestrial animal Natural landscape Nature reserve Pasture

On Saturday we drove from Grand Lake through Rocky Mountain National Park and down into Estes Park. The only dirt we saw (other than the campground) was making the drive up Old Fall River Road on the way back to Grand Lake:

Road Bigtree Wilderness Dirt road Vehicle

Old Fall River Road spits you out at the top of the Alpine Visitor Center. This is the view after a short hike from there:

Mountainous landforms Mountain Highland Mountain range Natural landscape

Overall, it was a great weekend. The weather cooperated with us for the most part and we camped with some good friends.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I've been going through withdraws since I haven't done anything to the jeep in almost a month. I think next up is the Rock Hard cage but in the meantime I have a couple free things I can do. I really want to trim the fenders back a little more. At the very least I want to cut the front of the front fenders near the bumper, they have been bugging me.

I also found a couple ways to turn the rear bumper into a stubby either by using the piece you cut off as an end cap:

Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive tire Tire Auto part

Or you can "plastic weld" the cut and make it look almost factory:

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Wheel Automotive exterior

Since I have never welded plastic before I will need to practice before going this route. Seems easy enough though and all you need is a soldering iron.

If I stubby the rear bumper I'll definitely be trimming the fenders a little thinner.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Here's a before and after. Day I got the Jeep vs how it sits now:

Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Car Jeep

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
So I finally got around to fixing the front of the fenders. They've always bugged me but it wasn't until I did this side by side that really pushed me over the edge. It looked like a long fingernail that needed to be trimmed. haha

Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

I trimmed the fronts up higher:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Jeep Automotive tire

As well as got rid of the "lip" I left on the edges of the fenders and I rounded the corners.

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive exterior

Vehicle Car Automotive tire Fender Tire

I'm happy with how it turned out. I think I'm going to leave the door trim off and just sand them down more to get them really straight. I still need to trim a little more of the structure under the front fender, a little of it is still visible.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I made some sway bar quick disconnects.

I used a 7/16 X 2.5 inch clevis pin. I don't love the cotter pin, need to find something better. I'm also not sure if it will wallow the clevis out on the Jeep or not. But I'll keep an eye on them. Has anybody else done anything like this?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Here's a picture of mine and my brother in law's

He has a TF 2.5 inch coil lift with 33s and I have a TF 1.5 inch spacer lift with 35s.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I added an extra washers to the quick disconnects to get rid of the gap you could see in the first picture. There's hardly any axial play but there's a little bit of lateral. I might end up doing something else but they'll work for now and I'll just keep an eye on them.

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
It is indeed!

We went camping up in Grand Lake this weekend. Didn't get a chance to do any 4 wheeling but it was still a lot of fun. We saw 8 moose over the 3 days we were up there. A mom and her baby walked right through out tent site. We also saw a bunch of elk and some deer.

View attachment 3694457

View attachment 3694433

On Saturday we drove from Grand Lake through Rocky Mountain National Park and down into Estes Park. The only dirt we saw (other than the campground) was making the drive up Old Fall River Road on the way back to Grand Lake:

View attachment 3694441

Old Fall River Road spits you out at the top of the Alpine Visitor Center. This is the view after a short hike from there:

View attachment 3694449

Overall, it was a great weekend. The weather cooperated with us for the most part and we camped with some good friends.
Love that area and heading to CO for summer vacations and Winter Skiing.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Nice thread. Lots of ideas here. (Also trying to move up to CO.)
Thanks, I started it as a picture/idea dump for me in the hopes that something I did (good or bad) might help someone.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've been looking at a lift and the guy at the shop is talking about the stock wheels being only 7.5" wide. I told him I wanted 35s and he is suggesting a larger wheel. I like the Willys wheels, and want to keep them. When I look up the tires you bought it suggests an 8"-11" wheel. Did you fit those 315/70R17s on the stock wheel with no problems?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
I've been looking at a lift and the guy at the shop is talking about the stock wheels being only 7.5" wide. I told him I wanted 35s and he is suggesting a larger wheel. I like the Willys wheels, and want to keep them. When I look up the tires you bought it suggests an 8"-11" wheel. Did you fit those 315/70R17s on the stock wheel with no problems?
It depends on the shop. I didn't have a problem with the discount tire near my house (or any of the discount tire shops I called either) but I've heard of shops refusing to mount them since technically it's outside the "range".

But people have been putting 35s on the stock wheels for a long time and I've never heard of anyone having a problem. If anything, you want to be on the lower end of that range to hold the bead better

Reactions: DimeGonzo

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
My brother-in-law got married yesterday so naturally we had to take some pictures with the Jeeps.

My tire started getting close to his fender so he had me stop. Next time I think we need to do it with the Jeeps facing the same direction.

I'm also glad I put those swaybar quick disconnects in, I disco'd in a suit. Lol

Reactions: Rhino Rubicon

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Unfortunately I haven't done anything new to the Jeep in a while other than maintenance things. Put the hardtop on a couple weeks ago :( , changed the oil this past weekend, and got some new wiper blades.

Last night on my drive home from work I heard a "scraping" sound from my front driver's side brake. It would only make the sound when I wasn't braking. As soon as I started braking it would go away. I ended up pulling the caliper off and cleaning everything and adding some anti-squeal to the back of the brake pads and the little mounting tabs. Seems to have fixed the noise. I'm wondering if a small rock or something just got stuck against the pads or if one of the clips between the pads and the caliper moved and was causing the noise.

I have 65k miles on the Jeep and the pad still had plenty of meat left before the wear indicator. I was surprised about that. I've been assuming I will need new brakes soon and have been looking into big rotor kits to compensate for the larger/heavier tires but I will wait until my pads wear out. I still need to check the rears. I know those usually wear out faster than the fronts on JKs.

Last picture with the soft top on for the year:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Jeep Tire

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
My wife got me a Flashcal F5 for Christmas/Hanukkah! I finally don't have to do math everytime I look at the speedometer. I used it to adjust my tire size, adjust my tire pressure, and to keep the fog lights on when the high beams come on.

Just a couple Public Service Announcements:

1. Be careful who you buy it from. My wife got it from a 3rd party off of Amazon. What it looks like people are doing is buying the Flashcal, calibrating their Jeep, then returning it. She got me a brand new one but when I plugged it into my Jeep it was already VIN locked to another Jeep. It took a couple days back and fourth with Superchips but they eventually sent me a reset code.

2. When I was researching Flashcal vs Procal there seemed to be some confusion on if the Flashcal can adjust the tire pressure low end threshold or if it can just turn TPMS on and off. Well the answer is it can do BOTH. There's an option to turn the system all the way off or you can adjust it down to 22 psi.

For anyone curious here are the options as of 12/17/2017

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Nothing too exciting but I painted the rear wheel wells black to better match the fronts.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Finally got the soft top on. I did it by myself for the first time which proved.... difficult.

I had to move all the crap out of the way so I could back the Jeep into the single car side

Then ran the ratchet straps through the top and....

They were about 2 inches short. So I lifted the top up by hand and put a piece of 4X4 between the Jeep and the top to get the straps to reach. Thinking back on it I should have just jacked the rear of the Jeep up a couple inches. Oh well.

After all that I really want a Racor Lift now. Haha

61 - 80 of 88 Posts