Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
I replaced the brake pads and rotors today.

I went with the Z16 kit from Power Stop. It was just under $200 for pads, rotors, and clips for all 4 corners.

Autospecialty KOE2798 1-Click OE Replacement Brake Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AN5UEFS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_imTnBb39MRCHX

I ended up only doing the rears. I have 75k miles on the Jeep and the rears we're completely shot. However, when I took the fronts off they looked brand new.

There was a ton of meat left on them and the rotors looked good to. Had I known that, I would have just bought the rears. But oh well, I'll just hang onto the front pads and rotors until I need them. I know the rears wear out faster on JKs but is this big of a different normal?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
So I got rear ended a couple weeks ago.

It ended up just cracking the tire carrier, scratching my spare tire's wheel, and putting a small dent in the tailgate. Overall not too bad.

I've been dealing with the other person's insurance company and put the money towards the following:

New EAG rear bumper with LEDs
New EAG front bumper
MORryde tailgate reinforcement kit with hinges and tire carrier
JKS license plate relocation bracket
LX-Light LED headlights and fog lights

So far I've received and installed the front and rear bumpers:

I still need to wire up the rear LEDs but I'm planning on doing that Friday when I get the tailgate reinforcement kit and license plate relocation bracket. I'm also going to attach my backup camera to the license plate bracket.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
So I got rear ended a couple weeks ago...

I've been dealing with the other person's insurance company and put the money towards the following:

MORryde tailgate reinforcement kit with hinges and tire carrier
Same happened to me about two months ago. I already had the MORryde reinforcement/hinges/spare carrier on mine... no damage to the Jeep at all, the spare carrier was very slightly tweaked but still very much usable. Tailgate, tailgate reinforcement and hinges all undamaged. Bicycle and bike rack destroyed; bike and rack pushed into the spare. Lexus that hit me didn't fare so well...

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Same happened to me about two months ago. I already had the MORryde reinforcement/hinges/spare carrier on mine... no damage to the Jeep at all, the spare carrier was very slightly tweaked but still very much usable. Tailgate, tailgate reinforcement and hinges all undamaged. Bicycle and bike rack destroyed; bike and rack pushed into the spare. Lexus that hit me didn't fare so well...

Ouch! Glad to see the tailgate kit held up though! I just got mine installed. Unfortunately, 3 of the 7 bolts that hold the 3rd brake light bracket to the tire carrier stripped out on me. I need to figure out how to get them out then I'll just use some hardware I have laying around. Other than that, I love the tire carrier/reinforcement! Great job designing it. It's super stout, I feel much better about hanging a 35 back there.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·

jscherb, I posted a separate thread about this but I wanted your opinion too:

Do you think I will have any issues with using a spare tire relocation bracket with the MORryde reinforcement kit? I'm concerned with how far away the tire is from the tailgate:

The relocation bracket moves the tire 2.5 inches up and 2.5 inches out. On the other hand, I know the tire carrier is designed and built to support larger and heavier tires than my 35s with the stock 17 inch Rubicon wheel. Am I just being paranoid? Or should I try and get rid of the relocation bracket? (I'll need a new rear bumper if I did that)

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
jscherb, I posted a separate thread about this but I wanted your opinion too:

Do you think I will have any issues with using a spare tire relocation bracket with the MORryde reinforcement kit? I'm concerned with how far away the tire is from the tailgate:

The relocation bracket moves the tire 2.5 inches up and 2.5 inches out. On the other hand, I know the tire carrier is designed and built to support larger and heavier tires than my 35s with the stock 17 inch Rubicon wheel. Am I just being paranoid? Or should I try and get rid of the relocation bracket? (I'll need a new rear bumper if I did that)

Thanks!

You mean any issues besides having zero visibility out the back window? :)

The reinforcement and HD spare carrier can handle the load, but please make sure that you've got stiff/lengthened snubber bumpers pushed tightly against the tire. These will snub any additional vibration you get due to the extra distance; vibrations lead to metal stress and stiff bumpers will minimize the stress.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
You mean any issues besides having zero visibility out the back window? :)

The reinforcement and HD spare carrier can handle the load, but please make sure that you've got stiff/lengthened snubber bumpers pushed tightly against the tire. These will snub any additional vibration you get due to the extra distance; vibrations lead to metal stress and stiff bumpers will minimize the stress.
Haha, yes, I can't see anything out the back window. But I've never really been able to. Between the tire (where ever it is), 3rd brake light, head rests, safari straps, and the wiper motor box (when the hard top is on) I've given up. I've been considering mounting another camera back there to use as my rear view "mirror".

As far as the snubbers, I have extended the factory snubbers with some rubber washing machine hose and the tire sits very snugly against them. I'm sure the tire carrier can handle the tire stick an extra 2.5 inches out since it can handle a much bigger tire than my 35s but I still was getting weird feelings with it that far out.

Thanks so much for the response. I have a couple days to decide what I want to do. I do have the tire carrier on the "higher" setting so if I end up leaving the bumper and relocation bracket alone I'll definitely lower the entire tire carrier to it's lower setting. Then I can lower the 3rd brake light a bit too and gain a little more visibility.

Thanks again,
Ryan

Reactions: FJNOMO

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have enjoyed following your build. I also have a 14 hydro blue and love the color. When I started mine it ended up heading more rock crawler and I do allot of overlanding/ camping with mine so it's in a limbo state right now. I have a trek top on mine and getting ready to go back to a standard premium top or a hard top to gain the room I have lost from the fastback top. I kept the stock wheels for a while and loved the look of them and have since changed mine up. There ended up being a few Hydro Blue JKU in my area so I had to figure out how I was going to make mine stand out a little bit so I added a touch of color to it. Anyway. Great base and still my favorite color.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts