Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hydro Blue Polar, BDS & Fox & MC, ATX, Wildpeak, CMM, Springtail, Air Armor m240

Here's my build updates which started in 2014, then updated in 2017, with page 2 starting the newest updates from 2019. The bottom of page 2, with pics of the rear diff gears, is where 2019 picks back up again. Kind of a "never ending build' lol.

It was heavy work installing 5 wheels/tires on a concrete floor with just a five gallon bucket and a couple of hand tools! Can't describe the satisfaction and cool factor of being able to mount and install your own wheels, TPMS, and tires (apparently I got too lazy or busy for that nonsense in 2017 lol)!

In 2017 I swapped out to ATX Ravines in 17x9 with updated Falken Wildpeak P285/70/17 (stayed with the same size tire). The PWildpeaks are only 50 lbs each and ride super smooth and quiet. I only bought a set of 4 this time around, with a spare tire delete.

For parts I've removed or updated, I bolded the text. Here's my original list, mixed with my updated list from 2014 (2017 in bold text):

Tires, wheels:
(2014)
17x8.5 AEV Pintler bead locks, argent
285/70/17 Fierce Attitudes MT (white letters facing in!)

(2017)
17x9 ATX Ravine 4.5" BS
P285/70/17 Falken Wildpeak (great price and so quiet)

Misc.:
McGard Door hinge locks.
McGard wheel locks and lug nuts.
Mopar hood lock.
Nfab tube side steps.
OEM trailer hitch and wiring
Leather grab handles - Uninstalled for Carolina Metal Masters aluminum-knuckle grab handles x4.

Support stuff:
Lange's electric ceiling hoist for hardtop (pic on pg 2).
5" Stinger aluminum drop hitch.
Locking hitch pin (uses OEM Jeep key).
Superchips Flashpaq 3872 (with TPMS on or off, only :rant:)

Suspension:
BDS FOX shocks x4, 98224921 and 98224951, 2-3" Lift, IFP 2.0.
Rock Krawler 2.5” Triple-rate coils - Uninstalled for BDS 3".
RK Max Travel-front LCAs - Uninstalled for Metalcloak front LCAs.
RK Max Travel-rear LCAs - Will swap to (Metal cloak's someday).
Metal Cloak front hockey puck bump stops.
Rock Krawler front track bar - Uninstalled for Metalcloak front bar.
Metalcloak rear track bar.
TeraFlex coil spring retainer clips x4.
SYN rear coil spring-bow correction wedges.
JKS front Quick Disconnect end links, 2.5-6”.
JKS adjustable rear end links, 0-6".

Spare tire delete (2017):
ACE Gatekeeper (a one-off, without the license plate option).
Rotopax 3 gal fuel cans with locking handles (two).
Rigid's mini-cube with a red snap on lens (third brake light). I cut the oem third brake light harness, then spliced Rigid's LED cube into the oem brake wiring.

Onboard portable air (2017) :):
Springtail Solutions molle side panels.
Air Armor m240 air compressor (a fifty ammo can). I didn't hardwire it.
Boat cleats (x4) versus footman loops for use with tie down straps.

More stuff (2019)
Procomp LED headlights
SOLID rear diff cover w/ Royal Purple Synth
BDS Fox SS & relocation kit - inbound atm

The updated 2019 pics start bottom of page 2...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wow installed your own tires 😳, what about balancing? Btw nice list!! Looking forward to see the final product!!

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Can't wait to see some pictures! :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree, but only waiver that's allowed is if you're too busy still working on the build! :)

A couple of surpizes...my little pancake style air compressor struggled quite a bit with filling up the 33" and pushing out the inner bead (non the non-beadlock side of the tire) so had to get an upgraded compressor. Ran out of anti-seize and forgot to get more, so now its back out again for more shopping (AEV directs to use anti-seize...steel bolts and aluminum wheels, I get that).

A nice surprise is the argent in the wheels matches perfectly with the hood graphic on the Polar Edition. Seems to make some sense now (the graphic/color being there) and really stands out in a good way. Two more wheels to go. Oh, and the Fierce Attitude tires look ginormous compared to my stock 255/70/18s (32"). Pics soon!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1. First pic is with Nfab side steps, stock Rubicon rails had to be removed :(. Yes the pic is dark, it was a dark day when the Ruby rails came off! lol (sorry about the crap pic).

2. Second is comparison of the Rubicon rails and Nfab steps. Look closely at the edge of the rails and notice the rails have more attaching locations (2 welded bolts per bracket) than Nfab steps (I bolt per bracket) still rated at 450 lbs per step though. Nfabs are way lighter weight than the rails, was surprised how heavy the oem rails were (oem on Polars). Also, Nfab steps are about a foot shorter and well clear of the fender wells, unlike the Rubicon Rails. I like the look of sliders more, but wanted a close-mounted and dedicated step for family operations. I'm happy with the looks and function of the Nfabs.

3. Third pic is off the lot, all stock ,with a good view of the Rubicon rails, so clean and functional (protect/hide the pinch seam).

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Front lower control arms from Rock Krawler, adjustable and heavy as hell! They angle up toward the body for more ground clearance and those pesky mall parking lot speed bumps! lol :hide:

Metal Cloak rear TB bracket comparo with Rock Krawlers rear bracket, even though there really is no comparo! Comprendo? (in fairness, RK recommends welding their bracket, if that's what you wanna do)

Metal Cloak's rear track bar is bendy and awesome, very impressed with everything, their hardware, and very detailed instructions, such as...

"See item D-the lock not, screw it onto the big ole bolt such-and-such", etc. "Then refer to the big ole photo", which is a pic of a lock nut all alone, in color. Wow.

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The wheels, uhg! I think the Fierce tire's huge rubber lip area is making my install on the Pintler beadlocks a real PITA!

I have figured out the tires need to sit in the hot FL sun in 90 degree weather to be maneuvered around and flush the wheel's outer diameter/face of the wheel (before the beadlock ring can be bolted on). I tried installing another tire today in the late afternoon and it would not go on-all the way around the wheel's outer edge/face. Yesterday this problem was solved with a lot of heat/sun, which was not an option with my late start today. Mind you I'm not using a big metal pry bar since these wheels are aluminum, plus the wheels are sitting on a loose 5 gal bucket, not a lot of prying or fulcrum options available.

I got these beadlocks mainly for the form/function and my tendency toward self-sufficiency, but dam its not working out as I had hoped (I think its the tire's huge bead/lip area aka tire protector lip). I tried using 2-3 tie down straps to secure the sections of the bead I did get pushed flush with the wheels' lip, which helped keep me from losing what ground (or diameter) I gained. Didn't help much to close the deal on those last few inches though.

Anyway, I'll keep trying and will give the sun a chance to help me out tomorrow.

On the bright side, the wheels I have mounted have remained at a constant 35 psi for a couple days now, no threads have been stripped, etc. Takes a lot of patience even after 360 degrees of the bead finally gets seated.

The last pic shows the harmony between the Polar's hood graphic and the wheel's argent color, loving the aesthetics so far. Sorry, no toes to show you, but you do get see an arm lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To answer your question ^...

A local shop said they'd balance the wheels for me, but they also recommended balancing beads. I installed new TPMS sensors also.

I may show up at their shop tomorrow for help with getting the beads seated (on 2 wheels), then take them home and torque down the beadlock rings on my own.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Ok, I just want to say that it's pretty badass to mount your own tires…. :worthy:

Nice pics of the LCA's and TB - good for comparison purposes.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Looks good! :thumb:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Before and After. These were snapped on an incline, but shows the difference between stock and 2.5 RK (3.0" +). Notice the shadows, taken from the same spot and same time of day!

I didn't do proper measurements, but at the fender well openings I got a about 3". The rear has SYN coil-correction wedges, which seems to add about 1/2". Real happy with the lift and the shocks. Have 35 psi in the tires, so its pretty stiff on the road, plan to go closer to 32 psi once my TPMS EVIC is sorted out and reading the TPMSs (PITA!).

eta: the fuel tank is half full and the lighter weight oem spare tire is still on the back. It might sit down a bit in the rear, after a passenger or two is added with a matching 285/70/17/Pintler beadlock spare tire and a full tank of fuel. Overall, its level.

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks folks...

I got my tpms' from ebay for about $50 for 5! Great deal. But, since my install the EVIC individual psi readings were not showing, so had a "check tpms" error. Took it to the dealer today and they got my ebay tpms to send and the oem EVIC to communicate, no more issues and I get the old psi readings x4 again, AWESOME!

Now Christiaan's Hemlock leather handles are ready to go in finally. I chose black with white stitching since my seats are the same. Real happy with his quality and end product.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
I'm glad you like them, could you post some installed pics? I can use them for my etsy store. :)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts