21 - 40 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

·
Registered
40 Posts
Keep it up! Cant wait to see the finished results. Im having the same debate on the lift, still need to fit into the garage.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Rugged Ridge Hood Latches & Dead Pedal

Added a few more minor items to the Jeep over last weekend. I didn't have a chance to post them so here we go!

Rugged Ridge Hood Latches - This upgrade came after an 1.5hr drive on the highway the weekend prior.

It was a fairly windy day, and I am well aware of the flex of the stock latches, BUT I did not expect to see my hood wobble at all with the BOLT Hood lock installed. IT SURE DID! - Not a comforting site.

Install was straight forward and simple. I suggest using lock tight (blue) on the threads and noticed you can really over tighten & distort the thin metal hood and fender so I got them tight but didn't go crazy. Very happy with the result.

The second was less vital mod, but I figured It would help as I have lower back issues and accredit them mostly to poor posture while driving.

Auxmart Dead Pedal
- Install was easy. I am a bit skeptical of the two grounds I have tucked behind the plate. I chose to add some washers to help space it out and allow for better tightening. Might need to add a few more.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
10A Bumper

Pulled the trigger on my first big mod.
I came across a great deal on a 10A bumper and just couldn't refuse. It's in pretty good shape, no major scratches or dents, but some minor blemishes that camoflauged in very well after a good cleaning and some tire shine:happyyes:

As I began researching mods for my jeep, I came across the 10A and loved its versatility, protection, and the fact that it's OEM. Figured I would keep my eye out for one and pick it up if I could get a good deal and that is exactly what I did!

Might have stolen a page out of @Buildit 's book, as I have a gunmetal fairlead being delivered today to match my OMF simulok rings, but oh well!

I actually really like the red contrast with the blue. There will be some more pics this weekend.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Factor 55 Fairlead & Centering Plate

Added a little touch over the weekend.

The 10A bumper I picked up was setup for an offset winch. I ordered the Mopar Centering plate off of Ebay and the Factor 55 1.0 Hause Fairlead in grey to match the Sim-u-lok's on the Method rims I will be putting on when I get this thing lifted!

Painted the raw metal with some rust inhibiting primer I had laying around. It was grey, but I had three cans so it beat running out to the store for black for such a small job.

Sorry My pit always tries to photobomb my pics.

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
Coming along nicely:thumb: What's next?

-Steven

·
Registered
431 Posts
Congrats and you chose a great model to own and mod! :happyyes:

I think your wheel choice is awesome and bead locks means you can install the tires in your garage, but you'll need lots of patience and hot summer sun to soften up those sidewalls. It can be a real PITA to DIY. Most shops won't want to touch that, but finding a shop to balance them shouldn't be too difficult.

My own Polar build is out of date...have since installed a Tuffy locking glove box and center console and CCM's knuckle grab-handles x4. My next plan is to do a spare tire delete, add some Rotax gas containers to that location, then do an under-the hood-onboard air (single ARB compressor with an EVO mounting plate). Also installed a Lange hard top hoist in my garage - very sweet setup!

My tires are getting near the end of their life, so a new set of tires and wrestling with those bead locks is in my future also. I'm in FL, so plenty of sun, but its cooling down. That'll make installing tires over my AEV beadlock wheels much more difficult - it needs to be HOT and sunny (90 degrees with sun).

Feel free to contact me for potential issues to overcome on DIY tire installs with beadlocks, if you'd like.

Looking good!

·
Registered
431 Posts
...MetalCloak
I also want to give a shout out to these guys. I have their front lower control arms, rear track bar kit with bracket, front track bar, and their bump stop "system" (hockey pucks in the rear lol). They have absolutely the best bushing/mounts for a jeep that spends time on the road imo. Not sure about their springs. I started out with RockCrawler, but didn't like the road manners because the Jeep would get that "initial lean" when turning - as will most any multi-stage spring. I swapped to 3" BDS springs, with evenly spaced coils. Now my Jeep rides smooth and handles way better as a commuter. Dramatic difference, plus I don't rockcrawl or usually get my axles more than 10-20 degrees from level anyway.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Coming along nicely:thumb: What's next?

-Steven
Thanks Steven! Hope you take my copying as a compliment!! :D

Next:
1. Metal Cloak SportGate Tire Carrier
2. Metal Cloak 2.5" True dual-rate lift Rocksport edition
3. 35x12.5 Toyo RTs

I am hoping for some black friday deals from Metal Cloak that might help with the overall cost!

Going to hold off on the tires until spring.... at least I say that now.

Congrats and you chose a great model to own and mod! :happyyes:

I think your wheel choice is awesome and bead locks means you can install the tires in your garage.....

My own Polar build is out of date...have since installed a Tuffy locking glove box and center console and CCM's knuckle grab-handles x4. My next plan is to do a spare tire delete, add some Rotax gas containers to that location, then do an under-the hood-onboard air (single ARB compressor with an EVO mounting plate). Also installed a Lange hard top hoist in my garage - very sweet setup!

Looking good!
Thank you! I am very happy with it so far and can't wait to get it lifted and on 35s. As for the beadlocks, these are not actual beadlocks. OMF makes these rings (bolt right onto Method Standards) and call them Sim-u-lok. More of a form of rim protection with a beadlock look.

Sounds like you have some good mods in the pipe line! I will be devising a hoist system for my garage next spring for sure!

I also want to give a shout out to these guys...
Appreciate your input on Metalcloak. Honestly the only negative thing I have heard about them is that they are expensive.

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
Thanks Steven! Hope you take my copying as a compliment!! :D

Next:
1. Metal Cloak SportGate Tire Carrier
2. Metal Cloak 2.5" True dual-rate lift Rocksport edition
3. 35x12.5 Toyo RTs

I am hoping for some black friday deals from Metal Cloak that might help with the overall cost!

Going to hold off on the tires until spring.... at least I say that now.

Don't mind at all my friend:thumb: Those are big next up mods! Hope you snag some good deals. Spring is really not that far away...hope that helps:happyyes:

-Steven

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Buildit said:
Don't mind at all my friend:thumb: Those are big next up mods! Hope you snag some good deals. Spring is really not that far away...hope that helps:happyyes:

-Steven
Might try and squeeze that Big brake kit in as well!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Beep Beep - Hella Supertones

Black Friday was a partial success. I picked up a few things that I wanted to get done prior to the lift and tires. More to come on that soon!!

One purchase I made earlier in the week arrived today and I finished installing this evening.

Hella Supertone horns. 300/500hz 118db. Bought on eBay for $48 shipped.

Since day 1 with my jeep, the horn has been lacking. Uncomfortably quiet with an odd tone. It honestly sounded like something was wrong with it.

Years ago I had a Subaru STi and in that community the distinct red hella supertones were a common upgrade for performance and aesthetics.

After putting the 10A bumper on my jeep, I realized that I really like the red accenting against the blue paint. I wasn't sure at first how it would mesh, but I think it looks great so I figured I could add a little more red as well as ditch my dying seal stock horn.

The install:

The instructions are fairly simple. You have to determine if your horn is triggered with a + or - input first and it is recommended to wire in the provided relay to help power these stronger horns without issue.

My jeep horn was right in front of the brake booster and had + & - wires attached. It was a + signaled horn so I followed the diagram for wiring the relay according to that. The factory wires that were attached to the stock horn took care of my signal & ground for the relay, leaving only power from battery and supply to the horns to run.

I first temp ran the wires to confirm correct configuring. Then I went back and removed the plastic insulators and heat shrunk all terminals and connections.

After I determined everything was hooked up correctly, I went ahead and mounted the horns and then worked back toward the relay with the wiring. I wound up having to bend the brackets that are attached (the box says this voids the warranty).

Ran the wire inside of more of the plastic wire protector behind the headlight up to the relay.

I Bought a Heavy duty inline fuse holder to run the 20amp fuse on the battery power wire. I ran it along the firewall inside of some black plactic wire wrap.

End Result: Very Loud!!! & Look pretty good!! :iamhappy:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Raxiom Backup Camera

I hinted at some black friday purchases and got to install one today!

Raxiom Factory GPS Backup Camera Kit Purchased from ExtremeTerrain.com

I wrote a guide for their website and have submitted it. Thought I would share here as well!

DIY: Raxiom Factory GPS Back Up Camera Kit Install

Overall I am very happy with the out come! A couple of nice features this system has added;

1. Backup camera with distance grid
2. Turns on automatically when reverse is engaged
3. Can be turned on while driving "Forced Reverse Camera" for Tow monitoring
4. Navigation Unlock Feature allows you to disable the Nav feature that prevents you from entering an address while moving. Good for when you have a passenger that can co-pilot while you drive.
5. Camera and mount are adjustable which will be good when I finally switch to the Method wheels!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Rugged Ridge HD Tire Carrier

Another Black Friday Purchase got installed over the weekend. Man was it cold. Garage heater went up on the priority list.

I originally was going to give the Metal Cloak Hinged carrier a go, but came across the Rugged Ridge HD Spartacus Carrier for $369 and decided to save the $240.

Overall I am happy with the RR Carrier and really like that it retains the third brake light above the tire in the OEM position. MC's carrier does not.

I decided to do another "How-to" guide for the carrier install and submit it to ExtremeTerrain. Made a nice purchase with my credit that will be here by the weekend!

No tires or lift yet... but preparations are coming along nicely;

How To: Rugged Ridge Spartacus HD Tire Carrier Install

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
SuperChips Flashpaq F5

Last week I purchased the Superchips Flashpaq F5 from Extremeterrain.com using the credits I received for doing the guides for the backup camera and the tire carrier.

Was able to get installed/married to my ECU Friday night. Running the Mileagesaver tune for now. I am officially ready/prepared for the lift and 35s now. Hurry up Spring!!!!!

Did another guide for the install on this too;

Superchips Flashpaq F5 [12-14 Wrangler JK] Install Guide

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Mopar Headliner Kit

The final black friday purchase got installed on Friday of last week before the new year.

The Mopar Headliner Kit was super easy to install and didn't take very long at all. Very happy with the results, interior seems quieter and I find myself adjusting the Auto temp lower then I did before meaning the cab is holding heat much better.

Did have to remove the speaker bar off of the cage, but other then that, nothing else was required to be removed. I opted to remove the freedom panels and do them inside my house first just to get a feel for what cleaner I would need to use.

Magic Erasers (Mr clean or generic like I had) did a great job of cleaning off dirt and grease marks. Rubbing alcohol was used liberally pre-application and seemed to do a great job of degreasing/drying out the white paneling.

Had my little helper of course!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Nitto Ridge Grapplers, OEM Rear Bumper, & MOREEEEE

It's been awhile since I've posted on here. I have made some moves and I am super excited for it all to come together.

First move I have made was a rear bumper swap. I don't have any good pics, but will try to take some over the weekend. Through a local Jeep Club, I was able to pickup an OEM rear Willy's bumper that has the gloss black center for a case of beer! STEAL! My bumpers had the gloss silver centers/inserts and after replacing the front with a 10A bumper, I felt that the gloss black would look much better especially with the Method Rims.

The second move I made was a big one, and a MAJOR motivator to pull the trigger on my lift; 35x12.50r17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I had been researching tires for sometime and really wanted something I could be confident in rain and snow conditions as well on the dirt/mud. I considered the GY Duratracs heavily but really liked the look and what I had been hearing about the Toyo Rugged Terrains and Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Toyo owns Nitto and these tires are a heavy duty 10-ply tire that has an aggressive pattern but also great road characteristics.

Extreme Terrain price matched the Nitto Ridge Grapplers off another site I found and I was able to use my credits & gift cards from Xmas grab bags to help out getting them to my door! I was absolutely shocked by how big these actually are. Going from stock to these is going to be a great jump!

After sitting with these monsters in my basement for a few weeks, I realized that I can almost guarantee my braking will suffer immensely once these heavy tires get thrown on. Having experienced the feeling of Brembos, I have found the Jeep braking to be lacking as is. With some recommendations and research on what was available, I decided to order the Mopar Big Brake Kit. I got a great deal from a new friend in my Jeep group that works at a dealership!

The LAST and easily the most important move; 2.5" Metalcloak GameChanger Rocksport Edition is on order!!!!! It's overkill for 2.5" lift & 35s but Every review and feedback I have heard has been that it is the best riding lift available. One of the major things I wanted to do was not down grade my jeep while modding it. I considered the Dual-rate rocksport edition that only includes the front upper CAs and then I could build on it, but buying up front saves in the long run when you factor in individual prices, shipping, and labor for installs.

I plan to eventually build this rig to run 37"+ tires and I will be able to swap springs and adjust arms once I am ready and be set. I also plan to have the jeep undercoated after the lift is on, so having all of the control arms and track bars etc in place should avoid making a mess trying to swap parts down the road.

Took advantage of their Inauguration Day Free Freight Flash sale and saved $250! Threw in the rocksport steering dampner & Rear spring perch correct/retainer brackets to complete the install.

Super Stoked!!

More pics of everything to come!

Reactions: Heavy-Metal

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
Wow, here we go! Looking forward to the new pieces going on:thumb:

-Steven

21 - 40 of 150 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.