41 - 60 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Wow, here we go! Looking forward to the new pieces going on:thumb:

-Steven
I am too Steven!

It's an exciting time and about to be a drastic change!

I have been following your build and I definitely have similar opinions and views toward upgrades. I was actually considering ordering the Griffin HD Attenuator for the stock drag link even before I saw you got the Yeti setup!

Great feedback!

Stay Tuned!!!! I will definitely be taking a lot of before and after pics!!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
2.5" MetalCloak GameChanger Rocksport Edition - INSTALLED!

FINALLY :action-smiley:

This weekend I was able to knock out the lift install with my good friend. Took roughly a day and a half. Would have been done in one day but I snapped my rusted exhaust flange bolts trying to get them off to install the spacer kit. :banghead:

NOTE TO ANYONE ATTEMPTING TO INSTALL THE EXHAUST SPACER:
The nuts on the header side are pressed into the flange in case your bolt is as rusty as mine and you snap it. I used an air chisel with a point to push them out and replaced with bolts.

I didn't try the other bracket yet. Assuming the same result will occur with the bolts, we decided to hold off until we had more time to remove the catback exhaust to better access the other flange. So for now, no offroading until I get that install done. This is fine with me as I have some other things on the way that did not make it in time.

All that said, The lift is on and :iamhappy:

Very pleased with the Metalcloak components! Only trouble we had was fitting the rear track bar into the relocation bracket. Had to spread the bracket open slightly to avoid mangling the rubber duroflex joint.

Other than that and the exhaust bolt the lift went in great considering this was my first lift kit install.

Enough blab... I didn't take too many install pics as I was filthy and didn't want to handle my phone too much.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Looks awesome

I took mine to an exhaust shop and the guy did the exhaust spacer install free since he was intrigued and had never put a set in.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Looks awesome

I took mine to an exhaust shop and the guy did the exhaust spacer install free since he was intrigued and had never put a set in.
Honestly, taking it to an exhaust shop might be my best bet. Instead of me fighting it while laying on the ground.

Even if they charge me, I cant imagine it being a super expensive job especially since I already have the one side bolted with new bolts.

·
Premium Member
3,099 Posts
FINALLY :action-smiley:

Wow Bobby, what a transformation! I love the wheels with the Hydro Blue:thumb::thumb::thumb: How you feeling about the way the MetalCloak rides? Looking forward to your first flex, clearance test.

-Steven

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
nice build, those wheels look awsome !
Thank you!!

Wow Bobby, what a transformation! I love the wheels with the Hydro Blue:thumb::thumb::thumb: How you feeling about the way the MetalCloak rides? Looking forward to your first flex, clearance test.

-Steven
Steven - The wheels have exceeded my expectations. Thank you for reaching out and giving me the opportunity to pick them up!!!

:iamhappy:

As for the ride, it is definitely stiffer than stock, but the 10ply Nittos are also a major departure from stock tires. I have only put ~10miles on it at most so I still need some seat time to really feel it. In the short time I have driven it, I am impressed. It feels tall, but doesn't have the body roll I was expecting in the corners which is great. Stiff over bumps but smooth and easy to drive with minimal effort.

I haven't put in the Griffin Attenuator yet either. We couldn't get the draglink to come out of the knuckle without excessive force, so I decided to hold off until I can focus more time to that alone.

Ill be having it aligned this saturday and hopefully addressing the exhaust spacer kit and be able to bring it to my office and flex it with my forklift!

I also ordered a little Mopar front bumper accessory that will be here Thursday and hopefully installed over the weekend ;)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Thanks for the post this is a great build. Its hard to read these sometimes as I impatiently waiting to get my build going. Rims are awesome!

Thanks Jarhead!

I know your pain! I have had the rims since fall, tires for over a month, and the lift for 3 weeks just waiting for the time to knock it out.

Good luck with your build!!

·
Registered
586 Posts
From one Polar owner to another, your Jeep looks awesome! I've got a 2.5" lift on mine as well, but definitely doesn't look as tall as yours.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
From one Polar owner to another, your Jeep looks awesome! I've got a 2.5" lift on mine as well, but definitely doesn't look as tall as yours.
Thanks Ccarrico! My rig is pretty light so I am guessing that is why I wound up netting so much height! I pulled into my backyard and it looks like I am JUST BARELY going to fit into my garage! Haven't tried yet.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Mopar Brush Guard for 10A Bumper

After taking the post-lift pics, I really wanted to add another dimension to the 10A bumper. I like the look of the Maximus-3 Stinger, but it was a bit too dramatic & expensive.

After a bit of research I came across the Mopar Brush Guard. It is a low profile hoop/stinger, but more of a winch / grille guard with a slight forward rake that doesn't protrude past the front of the bumper.

I was also able to find it on Amazon for $180 with Prime 2-day shipping! (Easier to swallow verse the $350 Maximus-3) Ordered Sunday and got it Tuesday. Here are the pics of it installed.

Reactions: Heavy-Metal

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Rigid Industries D2 Driving Lights - The AUX lighting begining

Aside from the Mopar brush guard, I figured I would relax with the mods for awhile, but fate had other plans.

After finishing the lift, I posted my stock rims on Craigslist as well as on here in the classifieds. Within a day of posting, I had a local guy contact me off of my CL ad and offer to trade me for a pair of brand new Rigid Industries D2 Driving Lights!!! It was meant to be!

Found these Billet mounting brackets on Amazon for $30 w/ Prime shipping. No brainer!

I originally told myself gears and lockers would be next, but a switch solution would be needed for the air compressor anyway so I have decided to run with the Rigid LEDs.

I had been planning to eventually add the Rigid Dually diffused 60* flush mounts to my rear bumper for added lighting when backing up (backup camera is decent but in extreme darkness no dice), so I pulled the trigger on those as well - Amazon Prime again!

I also pulled the trigger on a wiring / switch solution available on Amazon from a company called Apollointech. It is basically copy of the sPOD, but half the price. All of the reviews praised its quality, so I decided to give it a shot! I will post decent pics and more detailed info when I get it and have some fun installing these this weekend!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Apollointech Switch Panel & Fuse / Relay box

I was able to enjoy the beautiful Chicago weather & get the lights and the switch pod installed this weekend.

As I mentioned in my last post, I purchased the Apollointech 6-switch Panel & Source Relay Box off of Amazon for $189. It is a copy of the sPOD, but at a fraction of the cost. Thanks to Amazon Prime I had it in two days ready for the weekend!

Here is my review;

Upon receipt the unit was packaged very well. The Source box & switch panel are metal with a nice finish.

The wires have a very nice webbed heat shield and all of the terminated ends have heat shrink around the terminals.

The directions in the box are fairly basic, but more then adequate with images to help with the steps.

Installation of the Source box was simple and the cables were long enough to cleanly run the cables along the fire wall out of the way. The board and internals (relays, fuses, terminals etc) of the source box all seem solid and good quality.

The switches have a solid feel and the kit comes with 10 faces with different symbols to choose from. I haven't confirmed if OTRATTW faces will work, but I am guessing they do!

Getting the switch panel in place was a bit tricky. Removing the freedom tops let me get better access to the top 7mm bolts you have to tighten on the hangmans loop. Once I test fit the panel and got it in the right position it mates up to the plastic trim piece very well! It is also very secure and I don't for see any issues with the panel coming loose down the road.

So far I have two sets of lights wired into it and everything is working flawlessly. The volt meter gauge is nice to have incase I use the lights while camping.

Very happy with the purchase and glad I saved $200+!!

Here are some pics;

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Black Oak LED 20" Light Bar

I decided to add one more forward facing LED bar to my jeep. This now dedicates 3 switches to Lighting and the other three will be air compressor, front locker, & Rear locker... in due time.

A friend suggested I check out Black Oak LED and I pulled the trigger on their 20" single row Combo pattern with the 5Watt OSRAM LEDs.

I am more then happy with it all around and think I will go Black Oak for any future LED needs without hesitation.

I wrote a review on it that included some videos as wells as one of my own so I will link that here and post my vid and pics;

REVIEW: Black Oak LED 20" Single Row Light Bar 100w

Video of my current setup;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GMTQ1ilQZM

-JW Speaker 8700 J Headlights
-Rigid Industries Dually D2 Driving windshield lights
-Black Oak LED 20" Single Row Light Bar 100w

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Re-Gear, ARB Air Locker, Remote Air Port, & ROCK LIGHTS

After getting some seat time in the Jeep I quickly decided that 35s on 3.21s was not even remotely acceptable.

I began researching gears and decided on the 4.56 Revolution Gears with KOYO master rebuild kits from Allensoffroad.

I went back and forth on whether or not I should do both lockers at this time. I was leaning toward holding off entirely but then ARB announced their free compressor with Locker purchase and after speaking with a local shop I decided to do the rear and hold off on the front. (upgraded to the CKMA12 compressor too)

In short, I will plan to build a D44 to replace this D30 instead of building this one only to replace it down the road.

I really like having the dual purpose compressor on board as well, so I am planning to mount a remote quick connect on my front bumper that will allow me to hook up the ARB inflation Kit without popping the hood.

One last trivial bit of info; I decided to fill the last switch on my panel with a set of 8 RGB Rock Lights. I figure I can embrace my Mall crawler side when at meets and show off the Metalcloak sexiness and ALSO illuminate the ground around the jeep on camping trips!

Now I am just hoping the 5" of snow we just got will melt quickly so I can get these components installed and over to the shop in the next few weeks!

Reactions: Heavy-Metal

·
Registered
554 Posts
After getting some seat time in the Jeep I quickly decided that 35s on 3.21s was not even remotely acceptable.

I began researching gears and decided on the 4.56 Revolution Gears with KOYO master rebuild kits from Allensoffroad.

I went back and forth on whether or not I should do both lockers at this time. I was leaning toward holding off entirely but then ARB announced their free compressor with Locker purchase and after speaking with a local shop I decided to do the rear and hold off on the front. (upgraded to the CKMA12 compressor too)

In short, I will plan to build a D44 to replace this D30 instead of building this one only to replace it down the road.

I really like having the dual purpose compressor on board as well, so I am planning to mount a remote quick connect on my front bumper that will allow me to hook up the ARB inflation Kit without popping the hood.

One last trivial bit of info; I decided to fill the last switch on my panel with a set of 8 RGB Rock Lights. I figure I can embrace my Mall crawler side when at meets and show off the Metalcloak sexiness and ALSO illuminate the ground around the jeep on camping trips!

Now I am just hoping the 5" of snow we just got will melt quickly so I can get these components installed and over to the shop in the next few weeks!
looking fwrd for to see the results !

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
looking fwrd for to see the results !
Me to Fernando! I just spoke with my mechanic and he is ready for it. Somewhat slow right now so now I just need to get the part and get it over to him.

Pics to come.

·
Premium Member
3,099 Posts
Lighting upgrades look great Bobby! Loving the whole look of your rig:thumb: The Nitto's are great looking...somehow they almost look bigger than a 35 on there.

-Steven

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Lighting upgrades look great Bobby! Loving the whole look of your rig:thumb: The Nitto's are great looking...somehow they almost look bigger than a 35 on there.

-Steven

Thanks Steven!

I am really happy with how it's coming along! I think the stock fenders/less gap help make the tires look a bit bigger. They measured 34.5" unmounted IIRC.

I'm hoping we get some decent weather over the weekend so I can get some of these next mods going!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 150 Posts