Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Jeep JK Unlimited with ~56K miles. My wife was leaving the house and it died at the end of our driveway. It cranks but will not start. There are no codes. The battery is ~1 month old and is sitting with 12.4V charge. I've pulled battery terminals for reset, as well as replaced the crank position sensor. I can hear the fuel pump pumping up when key is in on position. While i did "throw" a CPS at it, I am not necessarily wanting to throw more parts at it. Any suggestions on what the culprit my be? Cam position sensors? I checked and the codes on my are not the ones impacted by the TSB. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance,

Spencer

·
Registered
271 Posts
It won't be the camshaft position sensors as the engine will run with them disconnected. Have you checked for a spark?

Sent from my I4293 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't believe it is related to chipped key as everything still works such as lock, unlock, etc. Is there another test for that? I haven't checked for spark yet but this was the next path i was going down. Is there a way to check for spark on these motors?

Appreciate the help!

Spencer

·
Registered
10 Posts
Don't believe it is related to chipped key as everything still works such as lock, unlock, etc. Is there another test for that? I haven't checked for spark yet but this was the next path i was going down. Is there a way to check for spark on these motors?

Appreciate the help!

Spencer
I mean the transponder in the key. If something is wrong it would do everything normal including cranking but no start.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, the light goes off after brief period of time. What's interesting is that the check engine light is on, then blinks for a few seconds, then returns to solid. I checked for codes again, but there are none stored.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pull the IOD fuse for 30 seconds. That has been known to be an issue.

Sent from my I4293 using Tapatalk
I tried that earlier with no results. I also had the negative terminal off as well. I will go try it again and report back...

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have a 2014 Jeep JK Unlimited with ~56K miles. My wife was leaving the house and it died at the end of our driveway. It cranks but will not start. There are no codes. The battery is ~1 month old and is sitting with 12.4V charge. I've pulled battery terminals for reset, as well as replaced the crank position sensor. I can hear the fuel pump pumping up when key is in on position. While i did "throw" a CPS at it, I am not necessarily wanting to throw more parts at it. Any suggestions on what the culprit my be? Cam position sensors? I checked and the codes on my are not the ones impacted by the TSB. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance,

Spencer
I had a problem with my old 95 yj (now my son's jeep)....everything seemed to be working just fine (plugs, fuel pump, etc.), but it just didnt want to turn-over.
Then I found this video:
The capacitors in the computer board get old and tired. AFter performing his "brain-surgery" per the video, works beautifully now. (this video saved my son's jeep!!!).

I cant imaging that your capacitors are that old....but I thought I would mention just to get you thinking in another direction.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Something else that i just realized is that the key will stay in the crank position and continue to crank unless I move it back to on position. Would/could this be a related issue?

·
Registered
271 Posts
It could be a broken ignition switch.

I am giving this some thought and the fact that it died makes me think that it could be one of the wires to the ignition switch that it broken.

It may be worth visually inspecting the wiring to the switch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Something else that i just realized is that the key will stay in the crank position and continue to crank unless I move it back to on position. Would/could this be a related issue?
I wanted to follow up so anyone in the future would have this information. Regarding its continuing to crank when you release the key, the JKs with automatics will do that until it starts, or up to 10 seconds. It's called "Tip Start". I found this last evening in my searching for a cause for my no start issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You said the CEL is on, what code/s is it showing?
There are no codes per the onboard diagnostic reader. It shows "-----------" then states done. That's one of the things I'm struggling with is there is nothing to work from. Would a stand alone reader provide data that the onboard DTC reader in Jeep would not?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Just pulled one of the plugs and it bone dry yet i can hear the fuel pump pressurizing when i turn the key on as well as confirmed pressure at the fuel rail...

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks in advance,

Spencer
Okay, obvious question. Does it have gas? I know you hear the fuel pump running, just a thought that there is no fuel to pump.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts