Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions about the stock alternator on a 2014 JK.

I am hopeful someone can answer them.

1. What is the maximum output in watts?
  2. At what rpm is the maximum output achieved?
  3. How many watts are consumed with only the engine running, no AC, lights or other accessories in use?
Thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
Converting AC amps to watts needs a power factor. For the purpose of this I'm using a PF of .95. Basically the system is not %100 efficient and the amperage will meet resistance in the circuit (cables, corrosion, connections, static systems). So...

1) what's the max output in watts?
*Well the max amperage output is 190A. Converted to watts with a PF of .95 comes out to about 2,525 watts

2) at what rpm is max charge accomplished?
* anything above 2500rpm. This is true for just about every alternator out there.

3) how many watts are consumed with only the engine running?
* the 3.6 penti, ecu, bcm, can system, airbag readyness..all things you don't see but are in fact powered up comes to about 12 amps. Or 165 watts at 14 volts

I got curious the other day and did a system draw on JKUR. Things like how much power does the locker take to engage? How much power does my washer fluid pump use? Its what I do for a living.. so its only right that I waste my time doing something at least semi related.

I'm guess your installing a new sound system and its all based off watts.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Based on that treatise (thank you) there should be sufficient output to run an additional 4 x 100 watt aux lights at the 1000 rpm range.

Did you by any chance load the system with the stock head lights on high beam during your testing?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts