Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2014 2dr with stock 255/70/r17 and I want to upgrade the wheels and tires (33x12.5x15). Spoke to a garage and they said they could not fit 15 inch wheels because the brakes will not fit with the smaller rims :rant:.
From all that I have read on here I believed it was possible, but now speaking first hand with a jeep garage (not dealership) they said they could only reduce to 16" wheels to incorporate brakes and tires.

Do the older Jeeps have it better?

Whats the real story - is it possible to put 15in wheels and tires (level 8s + duras) on a 2014 JK??

·
Super Moderator
8,237 Posts
Some 15 s will clear but most won't - don't know about those particular ones.

Why 15s? They look like balloons with so much sidewall (of course just my opinion). Much easier to find 17s, and better for offroad .

·
Registered
513 Posts
Yes they will fit. If you google : 15'' wheels that fit jk, you'll find all kinds of imfo on this.
Also look up DTD ( discount tires direct). Tell them what you are looking for and they will point you in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Some 15 s will clear but most won't - don't know about those particular ones.

Why 15s? They look like balloons with so much sidewall (of course just my opinion). Much easier to find 17s, and better for offroad .
Just wondering, what makes 17's better off road than 15's?

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Just wondering, what makes 17's better off road than 15's?
They are not. 15" will give more flex as well as offer more protection for the rims.
I run and will continue to run 15" on my DD/ trail rig Gecko. On my wife's mall crawler I went with 17" for more high speed stability as well as the fact the rims she wanted were only available in 17" and up.
If you are going to run big tires then 17" are good but 35" and under there is just not enough sidewall there for a trail rig .

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
They are not. 15" will give more flex as well as offer more protection for the rims.
Well I agree with you 100% But I was asking the one poster who said the 17s were better.

We have been running 33x12.50x15s on tracker 8s Since Sept. of 13 on our JKU and find them to be extraordinary for sand rocks hills you name it.

·
Super Moderator
8,237 Posts
When playing on rocks, precise tire placement is important. 15s leave too much squish to steer and place the tire with the same degree of accuracy. More sidewall = more places to puncture on rocks. More squish = easier to break the bead when you get it wedged in something.

Maybe to mud folks or sand folks its a different ballgame. And anyone is free to run whatever they want, but there are things specific to your terrain you may want to consider. Its not like 15s wont work, but in some circumstances there are considerations other than appearance and cost. I suspect sand folks may benefit from the extra rubber float for example.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
I run 15" MBTKOs with 33x12.5x15 DuraTracs with no problem. The MBTKOs have 4.5" backspacing. Make sure the wheels you're looking at have the proper bs.

I ran this combo for about a month before I got my lift installed. They would rub on full, hard turns, like backing into a parking place. Once the lift was installed, it stopped rubbing.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
2010 JK here with the combo (33x12.50 om 15x8 Level 8's) with no issues but again, it is a 2010.

·
Super Moderator
16,380 Posts
I run 15" MBTKOs with 33x12.5x15 DuraTracs with no problem. The MBTKOs have 4.5" backspacing. Make sure the wheels you're looking at have the proper bs.

I ran this combo for about a month before I got my lift installed. They would rub on full, hard turns, like backing into a parking place. Once the lift was installed, it stopped rubbing.
StarBrite, I think the TKO's only come in 3.75" back spacing in the 15" size. And, due to the smaller wheel drum, you need that low back spacing to clear steering/brake components.

That low back spacing is the main reason I wont run 15's. This is more personal, but the math is true... The additional leverage from the lower back spacing is harder on the ball joints, etc. As well, it pushes the tires out from under the fenders that much farther. As it is, I like a more flush look so 4.75 or 5" back spacing is my preferred wheel.

But yes, it can be and regularly is done.

17's are better because you can run 37's, soooo...
Interco SS-M16

37x13.50R15LT M16-50R 83 6 2 21/32 10.9 37.0 13.75 571 15x8.5-11 65 3000

Seems like a non issue... :rofl2:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Some 15s will work. As mentioned before, call up DTD, and tell them what you're looking for and they'll point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I run 15" Level 8 Trackers on 33x12.5 Duratrac's. I have no issues with stability. The appearance is personal preference, but I love mine. To answer your question, yes they can fit with the proper wheel. Here's a pic:

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts