Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 JK with the Dana 44 Trac-Loc and 3.21 ratio. I decided to change out the rear fluid yesterday and came up with chunks of teeth in the fluid. So I pulled the cover and found that the spider gears are chipping off. There were only a few pieces in the bottom, but it looks like this has been occurring for a while (this is a new to me Jeep, as of last year).

I don't wheel the Jeep at all and just want to get it back to working condition. She drives fine now, but I don't want a chunk of gear to fall off and damage the ring & pinion. Right now, those look clean with no pieces missing. I'm looking at the most cost effective way to get this fixed on my own, hopefully avoiding a big shop bill.

I've found a set of gears and carriers for the rear and also the Dana 30 up front, both with 3.23 ratio (shouldn't it be 3.21, but not worried about that unless I should be). The set comes off of a 2014 JK with under 9,000 miles, as the owner did some serious upgrades. My question, is will this work in my current differential case, and if so, is it more complicated than replacing just the spider gears? I know that doing a gear swap on the ring & pinion is a lot more complex and something I would never try. Since the ring gear is already on the carrier, does that make it any less complex? Or will there still be work needed to "adjust" it to my axle and housing?

At the end of the day, I may just buy the gears made for what I have an replace those, but thought this might be a viable and cheaper option.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Had a shop answer my question. The 2014 stuff would swap with the 2008, but pulling the 2008 pinion, etc. and stuffing the 2014 in there is akin to the same issues I'd have if I tried a gear swap on my own. Looks like I'll be going with a spider gear set for the Trac Lok to fix things. However long that lasts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts