Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone,

I thought I would just keep you all informed. I found a manufacturing problem with my hard top on a new just received 2014 custom ordered JKR!

There are 4 indexing posts that appear to be riveted in place to align the top to the body when you bolt it down. The normal top side view looks as follows in the firs pic.

On my passenger side rear, it doesn't appear that the post is properly riveted and that it may have been forced in causing the hard top to crack. :( See 2nd pic.

My dealer's service manager is out of town on vacation. We are just waiting for him to return to contact Chrysler to find out what needs to be done.

It is a shame to wait so long and be disappointed like this. :(

I guess I wish that my JKR was one of the "unlucky" ones to be chosen for a full inspection after being built!

Hopefully, this is just an isolated case and everyone else's is ok.

Good luck!

image-4226200491.jpg

image-3192292610.jpg

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I will check when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
587 Posts
It is a shame to wait so long and be disappointed like this. :(
QUOTE]

Awwww I feel your pain! :sad:

Thanks for informing fellow buyers! Information like this is priceless, and when we all share it openly, we can be even better informed.

Can you post a zoomed-out photo of the location of the post? Can you see it when the top is fully installed or only once you take it off? If you can see it with the top on, I'll look today before I take delivery. We all know these hard tops ain't cheap so they better fix yours!

·
Registered
485 Posts
How far does the crack extend (kinda hard to see in the pic). Is it just that localized area around the rivet?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Its fiberglass and should not split anymore. Threy use a rivet similar to a nursert. It pressures itself in place. They just happen to install it on one of the larger strands that kicked up. Happened to me on my fiberglass bulkhead.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will try to take a zoomed out pic tomorrow.

It is along the inside ledge of the top. You can see it even with the hard top installed. Along each side you can see the 3 bolts that you have to remove to remove the hard top. Also, near each end are these posts, one on each end, 2 per side, 4 total.

The main part of the posts can't be seen because they are below engaged into the body. What can be seen are the tops that are protruding thru the hard top ledge that are riveted into place.

The post in question with the crack in the hard top is loose and can be pulled up and down.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks... I hope you don't see the same thing. I think this might be just a strange one time occurrence, but you never know... :/

·
Registered
598 Posts
Yes let the dealer handle it. Sounds like you have a lot going on there. I'm sure they will replace the top. You really can't set another post in place once it loosens the fiberglass around it!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I inspected mine and it looks okay. Gotta get up inside the cargo area to get a better look though.
mikebot,

I am glad to hear! Enjoy yours!

They will probably order me a new top. But I have dual top and wanted to switch to soft, and they say I shouldn't remove the hard top till they get things worked out. :(

·
Registered
587 Posts
mikebot,

I am glad to hear! Enjoy yours!

They will probably order me a new top. But I have dual top and wanted to switch to soft, and they say I shouldn't remove the hard top till they get things worked out. :(
Well it sounds like they are taking care of you, so that's good.

On a semi-related note, my salesman suggested installing clear 3M protective film along the body where the hard top lip sits (where the top rests on the body). Does anyone know if there is a die-cut kit for this?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Not trying to be a smart azz, but did you drop the top on to quick? somebody was selling a hard top awhile back on craigs list and listed upfront that a guide pin was broke from dropping the top to quick...said it sealed up ok though

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not trying to be a smart azz, but did you drop the top on to quick? somebody was selling a hard top awhile back on craigs list and listed upfront that a guide pin was broke from dropping the top to quick...said it sealed up ok though
Quite all right. No the top has never been taken off, only the Freedom panels.

The concerning thing, and what helps against finger pointing at me :), is that the rivet is not properly engaged leaving the post loose to pull up and down.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Quite all right. No the top has never been taken off, only the Freedom panels.

The concerning thing, and what helps against finger pointing at me :), is that the rivet is not properly engaged leaving the post loose to pull up and down.
Yep, not your fault. Keep us posted on the resolution!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Mine are the same way on a 2013. I have purchased hardtops second hand for jeeps that never had them and the hardtop went on fine so not really sure if it matters. Guess I will be curious to see what you end up with as a solution. My jeep is only a few weeks old I ended up buying the 10A versus a 14.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That area around the black torx bolt looks pretty greased up and dirty for a newly delivered Jeep. Did it come that way or is it from someone at the dealer looking at it?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts