Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas.

Finally got my first Jeep back in November (EDIT: 2014 2 door) and endured this rough Midwestern winter just waiting for topless weather and clicking around the forum looking for advice/tips (Weathertech floor liners and 303 Aerospace Protectant have worked wonders). Now it's finally warm and I'm looking to have a little fun on the lake, but before I do, I have a few questions for you guys regarding towing seeing as how I'd like to tow a jet ski & trailer this summer.

1. What kind of hitch is recommended/prefferred? Usual caveats of cost, ease of installation, durability, etc.

2. In addition to a hitch, what else will I need to add to be able to tow?

3. Any tips on towing with a Jeep? I've heard horror stories of a short weel base and I'm just looking for any help I can get going in.

4. Will I have any issues of overheating transmission fluid while towing? (automatic transmission)

Thanks in advance for your help fellas. Hopefully this becomes somewhat of a guide to towing for Jeep newbies like myself.

·
Registered
483 Posts
The Quadratec kit works awesome. Very easy to install - if you can turn a screwdriver or a wrench, you can install it. Harness is 100% plug and play.

Quadratec Premium 2" Receiver Hitch with Wiring Kit & Jeep® Logo Plug for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

What else will you need? A tongue, a ball, and something to tow.

Towing small loads with the Jeep (a jet ski is pretty light) is no problem at all, there's really nothing else to say about that. Bigger loads is where things get kind of iffy, but even 2000lbs is not a problem with the trailer loaded correctly (I've towed a ton of pellets in my 2-door at 60mph without a single issue).

You shouldn't have any tranny issues towing light loads with the auto.

·
Registered
830 Posts
You can get the factory hitch and wiring for I believe about $80.. installation is easy. That's all you'd need.

How much does the trailer and 'jet ski' weigh? Jet ski's were very light, the modern personal watercraft seems to have a weight problem.. I think you mean a PWC not an actual jet ski.

Short wheel base in an issue for trailer sway and stopping, and is dependent on trailer weight and driving conditions.

As far as the auto cooling, make sure the trans isn't hunting (going up and down in gears), some would suggest turning off overdrive that may or may not be necessary.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts