Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 2014 JK and dealer fixed oil cooler line leak at fitting before I bought Jeep. Rather than have them hit and miss again, wanted to get some advice on the issue.
Reading other posts the most common problem is the crimp fittings.
My drips are from the plastic connector, as shown.
Any suggestions for a fix or is entire line replacement the way to go?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Looks like the o rings in the fitting are bad. You have to be real careful and get a straight shot when you push the line into the fitting or you risk cutting the ring. Unless the line is damaged on the end or bent so it doesn’t have a straight shot you should just need the fitting.

·
Registered
736 Posts
the lines shown as stated are all transmission fluid/oil cooler lines and they would leak red.
it is very possible that what your are seeing is motor oil.
if it is in fact motor oil its a tell tail sign of the motor oil cooler leaking.
2014s have a common problem with this .
you need to open the hood and look down next to the oil filter and see if there is oil in the valley.
or better yet put a piece of shop towel on a wire grab tool and stick it down into the valley to see if it sops up oil

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TwistedOak, you are exactly correct. Further investigation revealed that the oil filter/oil cooler housing has a leak that is causing the valley to fill and run down the engine and transmission housing to the underside and eventually onto the exhaust pipe. I have a warranty with Fidelity and will see if they want to cough up a few bucks when I get it fixed. Have appt next week at a Jeep dealer in Greer, SC for the fix. They were one of several folks I called to find someone that had a clue. My local dealer and the dealer I bought the Jeep from a couple of months ago are less than adequate.

Hope it don't go up before the fix. :atomic:

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fixed by dealer and covered under Fidelity warranty

We purchased a 3yr/36k mile warranty when we got the Jeep from the dealer. Fidelity/the dealer sells the warranty. Contacted Fidelity and Jeep dealer and they said they thought it would be covered. It took about 9 hours and I paid $115 of the $732 bill. The work was done by Benson Jeep, located in Greer, South Carolina. They also did a recall on the airbag while they had it in the shop.

Of the 4 Jeep dealerships that I checked before taking the Jeep in, this one actually could talk intelligently about the issue. They even knew the part number and verified the latest revision of the part that they had in stock.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts