Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve tried everything, EVERYTHING! It’s not suspension, or a wheel bearing. It’s not not a rub I can find anywhere. It’s not the wheels, or e brake. There is no rhyme or reason for when this rattle starts, it came be a high or low ambient temp (live in Chicago). It happens 70% of the time under heavy load, but occasionally happens at all other times as well (coasting, breaking, etc). I sometimes go 5 days without hearing it, and then it starts up again the next morning. Sometimes it only happens in the morning, sometimes only afternoon, sometimes both. SO FRUSTRATING!!

The only install I have made just before this started was a front and rear Adams driveshaft. Not trashing them, just facts. I also haven’t yet reached out to them. I have checked to see if I am rubbing on the exhaust, nadda. I have taken it into a mechanic, they have tried twice, and cant come up with anything. They referred me to a 4x4 shop across town.

2014 JK
3” lift
35” tires

I bought The rig in 2016, with lift and tires installed. I have put ~25k miles on it. This rattle started about 2 months ago.

Please Help!!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Can you go back to your previous driveshafts? Or run with one at a time and try to reproduce the noise?

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, the stock shafts have been scrapped. The front shaft CV was trashed. I have a hunch its the rear shaft. The rattle does not start or go away when I throw it in 4wd - leading me to believe it is not the front shaft.

Does this sound like a brake pad or caliper maybe? Applying brakes does nothing to stop or start the rattle.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Bunch of things it could be, I would pull the rear shaft and drive in 4hi with only the front in and see if it persists. If you have a gopro mount it to the skid plate next to the t case and get a real visual of what is going on. Would also recommend checking your rear axle bearings they can give a gravely sound when starting to go. My last suggestion is a little out there, but Pull your tires one by one and make sure your tpms did not fall off and start clanging around inside the tire....had this happen with a vehicle of mine last year.

·
Super Moderator
6,784 Posts
Unfortunately, the stock shafts have been scrapped. The front shaft CV was trashed. I have a hunch its the rear shaft. The rattle does not start or go away when I throw it in 4wd - leading me to believe it is not the front shaft.

Does this sound like a brake pad or caliper maybe? Applying brakes does nothing to stop or start the rattle.
In or out of 4WD makes no difference when it comes to the drive shafts. The front drive shaft is spinning all the time whether you are in 2WD or 4WD.
You can actually remove either the front or rear drive shaft to help determine if the vibration or rattle is coming from the drive shaft. If you remove the rear drive shaft you would drive your Jeep in 4WD H mode, and what you would get would be front wheel drive. I would not do that long term, but short term for testing purposes it is fine.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
is it possibly your muffler shield vibrating.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
my 2014 has rattle in the front... only does it sometimes when i start off or in reverse. think its the heat shield over the cats

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had no idea that the front shaft spins in 2WD, good to know.

I'm going to look again (for the 5th time) for anything loose underneath. Put 300 miles on today, made the sound for 90% of the drive. I did notice yesterday that there was no rattle until I hit a large bump, and I then heard the rattle for the next hour of my commute. I think it is something loose now.

The sound is so unfamiliar - it sounds like a loose chain, catching on a gear. It doesn't sound like something loose necessarily. F!!! I'm going to lose my hearing if I turn the radio up any louder...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I figured it out!! It was a “dust cover” or some type of cover on the rear diff yoke. Makes sense, once I hit a bump, it would dislodge and then rattle intermittently. Picture attached.
I have been chasing this for a year!
Adam

0C74CE27-73DC-40F2-A5ED-FA16FF442C0C.jpeg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts