Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regarding the stock wiring to the front speakers from the head unit, is there a cross-over that splits out the sub and tweeter feeds or do they both run directly off the same wire pair directly from the head unit?

I'm installing an Alpine Power Pack ( KTP-445U ) and Polk Audio DB6501 components and plan to reuse the stock wiring.

i.e. - can I wire just the front sub pairs to the Polk cross-over for new the tweeter and sub?

Thanks,
somegeek

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The new sub amp should have a built in adjustable low pass in it already shouldn't it?
The front speaker pair(sub/tweeter) have a single wire pair each from the stock deck. I'm curious if there is a cross-over that splits that single pair out to the sub and tweeter connections, or if the cross-over is built onto the speakers themselves and they have a direct wire connection between the deck and the speakers with a split.

Basically I'd like to know if the stock wiring connection into the front subs is full frequency (no filtering between the deck and the sub connection at the speaker).

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Well what I'm trying to say is, if the sub you are installing already has an adjustable low pass filter on it, it shouldn't matter. Right?

Just wire it up and turn the sub low pass to 60 or 80hz or whatever you want it at and go.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well what I'm trying to say is, if the sub you are installing already has an adjustable low pass filter on it, it shouldn't matter. Right?

Just wire it up and turn the sub low pass to 60 or 80hz or whatever you want it at and go.
I agree with what you're saying, however, that's not what I'm after. The cross-over unit that comes with the Polks has a single input with dual output. If the stock connection to the stock sub is full frequency(no inline crossover), then I should be set to terminate that single stock pair on my Polk crossover to then run both the Polk sub and Polk tweeter.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Ahhhhhhh I see.

If there isn't a factory amp, almost every time I've seen one they are filtered at the amp. If there isn't one, the speakers usually spit out full range.

So in short. I don't have the answer. If there is an amp. I'd say 99% that it's filtered there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts