Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

Recently, I've noticed some oil on the floor on my garage so I went under my jeep and saw oil dripping very slowly. My first thought was the oil pan gasket but not sure anymore :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just had an oil leak fixed on my ‘15. Was the oil filter housing and cooler line?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just had an oil leak fixed on my ‘15. Was the oil filter housing and cooler line?

I should have mentioned that about a year ago, I also had an oil leak from the filter housing. The dealer replaced the whole assembly along with crankshaft seal.
Since then, I've only had an oil change at home and made sure it was torqued on spec. No leaks from that day until now..

Is it normal to go bad that fast?!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Not sure. I’ve got about 115k miles on mine with lots of stopping and starting due to my career choice.

·
Super Moderator
15,370 Posts
Is the rear main seal and crankshaft seal the same?
If so, the dealer already replaced it about a year ago.

Don't think they're the same. I think there's only a front crankshaft seal, but I haven't torn into a 3.6 motor to say for sure.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hello everyone!

Recently, I've noticed some oil on the floor on my garage so I went under my jeep and saw oil dripping very slowly. My first thought was the oil pan gasket but not sure anymore 😕

Could be the oil cooler, common problem on 2014s and later. Pretty common for the oil to run down the back side of the engine and make you think it's a rear main seal.

Remove the engine cover, get a flash light and shine it down below the oil filter housing. If you see oil down in there then that's the problem.

·
Super Moderator
7,624 Posts
I'd check the oil cooler/filter housing, even though it was replaced once. I would also check the back sections of the valve covers. Leaks from those areas can often make it look like the RMS is bad. If those areas are good, odds are it is the rear main seal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've checked the housing and it looked dry. There are dripping marks comming from above but not sure how old.

Anyway, when I removed those two rubber covers, I see a shiny bolt. Could it be from there?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay...so I tried to clean it up and turned the engine on. I can see tiny bubbles or oil movement on the right and left sides of the Upper oil pan.

·
Super Moderator
7,624 Posts
Clean it up again, get some UV dye for detecting oil leaks and add it to your oil. Get a black light for leak detecting, and use it to find the leak. That should eliminate any and all doubt of where your leak is coming from.

I bought my black light from Ebay for a few dollars, it is a flashlight and works well. I was able to find leaks for friends easily with it and the dye for adding to oil.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Clean it up again, get some UV dye for detecting oil leaks and add it to your oil. Get a black light for leak detecting, and use it to find the leak. That should eliminate any and all doubt of where your leak is coming from.

I bought my black light from Ebay for a few dollars, it is a flashlight and works well. I was able to find leaks for friends easily with it and the dye for adding to oil.
I can't find any UV dye in the country, so I had to order it online. That might take a while to arrive...

Anyway, do you have any resources on how to replace the Rear Main Seal for the 3.6? I only can find for the 4.0 :\

·
Super Moderator
7,624 Posts
I can't find any UV dye in the country, so I had to order it online. That might take a while to arrive...

Anyway, do you have any resources on how to replace the Rear Main Seal for the 3.6? I only can find for the 4.0 :\
Unfortunately I don't. Sorry.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok the UV tracer and light has arrived. I've cleaned the engine and the underneath really good. Tried to take a picture with UV but it wasn't clear.

I drove for a while with the plugs removed. I can see the leak coming from the area next to the oil pan. Probably the RMS?!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Btw it's time to do the oil change. I read somewhere that if you change the oil it might stop? Should I go ahead or wait until I replace the RMS?

Also, I found 3 seals on the market:

1. MAHLE 67964 (#68078786AA) *I believe this is mopar which is I'm trying to avoid*

2. FEL-Pro BS40737

3. NATIONAL 711030 *probably would buy this*

Is it really a diffecult job for a first timer? Do I need special tools? Could something go wrong?

Please advise :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Probably not getting answers because not many have done the RMS on a 3.6. I have done it on my 4.0. I found it pretty intense for a first timer. I used a You Tube video for guidance. I wouldn't try this for the first time without some pretty good instructions to go by or someone to help you that has done it on a 3.6. The main risk is doing all the work and it's still leaking. My experience came out good but several times I wondered if I was going it right even with the studying and the video.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Probably not getting answers because not many have done the RMS on a 3.6. I have done it on my 4.0. I found it pretty intense for a first timer. I used a You Tube video for guidance. I wouldn't try this for the first time without some pretty good instructions to go by or someone to help you that has done it on a 3.6. The main risk is doing all the work and it's still leaking. My experience came out good but several times I wondered if I was going it right even with the studying and the video.

Did you change yours through the oil pan? I've seen some pictures where they take off the upper oil pan and replace a half circle shaped seal.

In 3.6 it's like a backplate and you need to drop the transmission in order to replace it.

I could be wrong..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts