Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my oil changed yesterday and the tech told me I needed a new lower oil pan as it was dented and had a small leak. The price of the pan is less than $100.00, but the dealer is quoting $800.00 for the pan and install. I took a quick look and it looks pretty easy to me, am I missing something?

Thanks,

LT

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Pictures?

I am extremely doubtful you need a new oil pan.

$800? how do they justify that? $100 for the pan, $50 for oil, $650 an hour labor?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had to take mine off due to oil plug being stuck. Took about 45 minutes to get off, clean up pan and mating surfaces, and re-install. Should be no more than $100 tops to install. This is not something you need a dealer to do. Take it to and independent shop and you will not get ripped off. $800 is criminal!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dent is right at the drain plug. I just couldn't figure out the price and wanted make sure I was on track.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Local shop charged me less than an hour of labor to remove/reinstall my lower oil pan + oil + a few bucks for "shop supplies".

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
The reason dealerships can charge that much is because most people dont know better.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I hate that dealerships take advantage of unknowing people and rip the off. My mother-in-law took her Dodge in for a break job and charged her $700. She tried to justify it by saying that they had to replace the front rotors too. I told her that I could have replaced the pads and rotors in 1 hour for $130. Then, she realized that they took advantage of her.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts