Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we just purchased a 2014 Polar JKU. We intend to tow it behind our RV. My question is the parts guy at the dealership told us there is a wiring harness that will use the jeeps brakes as the suplemental brakeing system, instead of getting one of the aftermarket systems. Now I have heard of a harness that will use the jeeps brake LIGHTS but not one that would use its brakes. Is this guy full of it? The cost was around 350 which is way cheaper than buying a 1k aftermarket system.

Thanks peeps for any advice

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
What a deal! Have him put it in writing that the harness will activate the brakes in your JK and I'd go for it. In reality, I think he may be confused.

No wiring harness alone is going to activate your toad brakes. On my '13, I am using the Cooltechllc.com wiring harness with US Gear's Unified Towed Brake. You can read my review with install pictures here... US Gear Unified Tow Brake (UTB) Review.

This article may be of use too if you are new to flat towing... Towing a Vehicle Behind an RV.

·
Registered
269 Posts
X2 on the Cooltech, the absolute best way to activate the lights. I've never heard of a Mopar cable that will activate the brakes. I use a ReadyBrake. Basically a piece of stainless cable that wraps around my brake pedal. The other end of the cable goes to an eye mounted on my front bumper. My hitch has an inertia brake connection, so when my coach slows down, the hitch pulls on the cable, and the cable pulls down the brake pedal. Works great.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts