Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.... I have a 2014 JKU Rubicon with the uConnect 730n "Alpine premium audio".

I've already done all of Pressurized's suggested modifications posted on these forums (upgraded sound-bar speakers to 6032si's and poly-filled, factory tweeter mod, and upgraded the rear bass sub with the suggested Pioneer replacement, wired in to the recommended PPI power amp which I installed under my passenger seat and tapped in to the appropriate wires from the loom running along the floorboards).

Now, I got a deal on a Pioneer "power pack" 4 channel amp which I'd like to add, to boost the wattage to the rest of the speakers. I see a couple of other Wrangler owners have used this amp before, typically installing it in their glovebox. But my question is -- what's the best way to wire this up?

Is it possible to buy both a "male" and "female" harness that would let me connect the power pack up "in line", right behind the Alpine factory amplifier, without needing to cut/splice any more wires on the Jeep's loom?

I've seen a few people also suggesting the PAC audio interface that gives you RCA level outputs off of the factory stereo ... but would this cause the factory amp to stop sending a signal downstream to my PPI amp that's powering my bass sub?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow... almost 300 views and no comments from anyone?

Well - for what it's worth, I took my Jeep to a pro audio shop yesterday and talked with one of the installers for a little while. He pointed out that the Alpine power pack is basically going to do me no good in my situation. (I should have known this but I wasn't thinking it through, I guess.) With the premium factory system, the wattage going to the speakers is about the same as what the Power Pack provides. So other than perhaps a bit more clarity, it would be waste of time installing it. It really only provides a real benefit for the people who don't have a factory amp to begin with.

That said, we decided the way to go forward with all of this is by investing in a really good marine type 5 channel amp (going with a JL Audio model) that provides around 100 watts per channel of power. Remove the PPI amp completely (but re-use the power cabling from it to the battery), and connect all 4 speakers and the subwoofer to it. In turn, feed it a clean, full-range audio signal by using a PAC C2A-CHY23 harness. Then the factory amp is completely out of the picture, except still has power and communicates on the CANBUS interface for the purpose of keeping the Jeep happy and nothing throwing fault codes or refusing to turn on.

I'm just going to pay these guys to do the work on this, since the bulk of the cost of the project is the amp, anyway. May as well let them be responsible for things like any accidentally broken trim fasteners while pulling stuff out to run cables behind it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts