Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2014 JKU Sport new on 1/25/2015. A few months later I purchased a Mopar 5yr/100k extended warranty. I've maintained the Jeep well with oil changes, differential, transfer case, and transmission services done. I do take it off-road some, but it is mostly used for my work commute and summer trips. The oil pressure sensor went bad at 43k and was replaced under warranty. The timing cover was leaking and was repaired at 81k under warranty. The radiator and thermostat housing was leaking and replaced under warranty. My extended warranty ends on 1/25/2020. The repairs done in the last 6 months at 81k & 87k under the warranty would have probably cost $2k or more without the warranty. I tried using the search function to see if there were other common, expensive repairs I should expect, but couldn't pinpoint anything. Anything I should have checked before the warranty ends? I have always intended to keep it forever, but if I should expect $2k-$3k in repairs each year I may need to rethink keeping it. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
If you have a rocker arm tick coming from the heads now would be the time to have it addressed, other than that you are probably ok

·
Registered
660 Posts
I don't know what kind of mechanical work you feel comfortable doing, but most of the items you called out are regular wear and tear. If you can turn a wrench, you can save yourself a boatload of money by doing some of that work yourself.

You may be trouble free or you may have several issues, nobody is going to be able to tell you the future. Ball joints, rod ends, brakes, just about any seal, hoses....these are just some examples of wear items that may pop up at anytime. This goes for any vehicle, not just a Wrangler.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know what kind of mechanical work you feel comfortable doing, but most of the items you called out are regular wear and tear. If you can turn a wrench, you can save yourself a boatload of money by doing some of that work yourself.

You may be trouble free or you may have several issues, nobody is going to be able to tell you the future. Ball joints, rod ends, brakes, just about any seal, hoses....these are just some examples of wear items that may pop up at anytime. This goes for any vehicle, not just a Wrangler.
Thanks for the reply. I'm not worried about suspension, chassis or brakes. I've done the rear brakes, installed my lift and swapped in Rubicon axles myself. However, I don't think an oil pressure sensor at 43k, oil leaks at 81k or a radiator at 87k is normal wear. And the dealer had to evacuate and recharge the AC to install the radiator, so that isn't something I'll be doing myself.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have a rocker arm tick coming from the heads now would be the time to have it addressed, other than that you are probably ok
I haven't noticed any ticking. Would a dealership notice or just try to ignore it, even if it was a warranty repair?

·
Registered
660 Posts
I had my radiator replaced at 32k, they did not have to touch my AC when I had it replaced - besides pulling it out of the way. Doesn't sound right to me.

I have owned vehicles that were a maintenance nightmare, and I have owned ones that were mostly trouble free. For every person that has an oil leak or bad sensor, 10 others didn't. Sounds like your mind is made up, trade it in and get one with lower mileage.

·
Registered
174 Posts
over 100,000 miles issues

I do a lot of driving. My first Jeep I put almost 250,000 miles on it with (almost) only routine maintenance. My current Jeep (#6 for me) has over 160,000 miles on it. My experience is that if one takes care of the vehicle it will give long and reliable service.

KG6SLC aka Eugene

·
Premium Member
9,579 Posts
Engine dies and I get a LS.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
ball joints/ driveshaft u-joints. spark plug change. transmission flush

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I haven't noticed any ticking. Would a dealership notice or just try to ignore it, even if it was a warranty repair?
They will actively try to ignore it and also try and convince you its normal. I also have a 2014. The oil pressure switch is a very common issue and will likely go out again if they used the same style. I had 2 lifters go bad around 86k. I was just outside of the warranty. Once your warranty is out find a real mechanic they are way often way more reasonably priced on labor hours.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
At some point after 100K miles, everything will fail.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts