Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeep started leaking coolant recently and I've traced the leak to the thermostat housing which I will replace over the weekend. Any thoughts/suggestions as to which replacement part I use? I see Duralast, Murray, and Gates brands at parts stores near me. Or could see if the dealer has OEM in stock, but at probably double the price.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I would go with OEM
Second choice Behr-Mahle (if available)
Gates IDK anything made of rubber is good (hoses, belts) Tstat is probably made in china.
I would suggest before installing "boil" it, to check if opening temperature is correct.

·
Retired Moderator
100,702 Posts
Oem...

Reactions: strawman

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Doesn't someone make a super high performance billet CNC replacement?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Doesn't someone make a super high performance billet CNC replacement?
Good point. On a side note, I wrote about this to Mishimoto in their product suggestion/request section. If there is more interest, they may build one. I also suggested an all metal oil cooler/filter housing assembly.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Oem is good and includes everything. It is improved over the 2014 housing as well.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I also recommend the boil test. I’ve done this with all my thermostats in the past. My 2015 JK was running hot and the thermostat would barely crack open. Once it cooled off it was not properly closing. So I replaced it. Make sure you purge all the air out when replaced

1 - 10 of 10 Posts