Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I posted this in the waiting room thread, but it bares repeating.

In my humble opinion, your Jeep is worthy of of a Calendar Cover.
I'm normally not a fan of black wheels (just seems like it's been over done), but those wheels are really stunning! And the tires seem perfect for the rims (aggressive, but not over the top).
The stance, to me, is perfect!
With the body color and the mods, this is one beautiful JK! :thumb:
So what's next?

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Nice Jeep wave

Hey, who's that happy-go-lucky guy in the passenger seat? ;)

Since Sportygirl will be DD'ing it, if you end up keeping track of fuel mileage, I'd be real interested.
I *think* the 4.10s are a perfect balance for this size tire, and what you guys are doing with the Jeep (i.e. DD/weekend warrior). So your input would be really valuable.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Hey! you guys are doing better than me with the stock wheels & tires! :thumb:

Have you tried the chalk test yet?
I've been using this test for decades, and really like how it works.
Basically find a straight stretch of road about 1/8 to 1/4 mile or longer. Rub a straight line across the tread from inside to outside on each tire, then drive about 1/8 mile straight ahead. Look at what's left of the chalk on each tire. The best tire pressure will have the chalk worn off evenly all the way across. A portable tire pump works great, because you can make changes on the fly.
I do this empty, and then with a standard payload. Then write the numbers on a piece of sticky note that sits in the glove box, so I don't have to try and remember stuff... ;)

Was watching a Teraflex YouTube video on different lift heights & tire sizes. There was one guy with either 40"s or 37"s who said he was getting a bit more than 16 mpg. So there is still fuel mileage for you to find.
Good luck Sir! :thumb:

Reactions: Heavy-Metal

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Good stuff!

Yes sir!

Getting them off is easy. Putting them back on can be tricky because lining up the hinge pins at the same time can be a PITA.
There is a kit made that screws on to the top pin of each door, to extend the pin. Saw a post on this, and the guys who have the kit(s) seemed to really like it. I think they were purchased through Quadratec. Here is a link:
American Outlaw DP-1 - American Outlaw EZ On Door Pin Guides for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Looks like a 4 door requires two kits?

Throw Back Thursday.

Here's our last Jeep, '13 JKU Sport S w/ 3.73, 6 speed manual. Shortly after ordering it my wife figured out a manual wasn't going to work with her new job, so we never fixed him (THOR) up. 9 months after buying THOR we drove home in BRUTUS.
Wow! That looked like a pretty fun day! Hope to see shots of BRUTUS like this! :thumb:

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Great road map to a well built Jeep

This is such a cool build on so many levels.
I just re-read the whole thing, because it had been a while since I've been following along.
I think this would be a great thread for anyone considering 35"s or bigger to read.
You're following a well trodden path to victory! :thumb:

Happy Summer of Wheeling Fun and Excitement! :drinks:

CS

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Such a sweet build!

You are getting better mileage with the 37"s, then I got stock... lol
That's awesome! :thumb:

You guys have done an incredible job with this build. :worthy:

What did you do for track bars?

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Brutus is fit to be a movie star. ;)

14.4mpg on 37"s is great with "normal" spirited driving.

So how do you like the new gears, in comparison? Have you had a chance to pull the trailer yet?

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
From my past experience, the lack of acceleration is more about spinning up the mass of wheel-tire.
I think the 5.13s would have given you faster acceleration, but at the expense of fuel mileage, and an overall "busy-ness" feeling. So (imo) you really made the best choice.
Now a 5.7 VVT Hemi would do a whole lot to help with trailer pulling, and daily driving. ;)

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
What a cool trip!
When flying for work, I see these trails going over some pretty rugged mountains, and think... "that would be some fun!"
Glad to see that it is. :beer:

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
In my best Officer Joe Friday voice...

Just the facts, man. ;)

Really is a great build, and a great job you've done of explaining everything.
I'm stopping here so your head still fits through the door. :D

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Holy white flowers Batman!

:funnypost:...:lmao:...:rofl:

Bought fell out of the chair laughing. :thumb:
I have never seen that book, but have added it to the Amazon wish list and will get a few copies for stocking stuffers this Christmas.

Sorry to read you guys have to Low-Ride it while the Jeeps in the shop. But at least you'll have warm butts this winter!

Should be an awesome trip. :beerdrinking:

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Might want to try Back Country Navigator app for a smart phone. Takes a bit to get used to, but I'm very happy with the performance on Android.

If you have an iphone, I've read a lot of good things about the Gaia app.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Hi BBS,

I looked at that article, and asked the question over on Expedition Portal (in the GPS sub forum).
I don't have enough experience even with BCN to give a good answer.
I've searched all over the web & YouTube to get a back-to-back comparison of the two on Android, but couldn't find it.
If you find a direct comparison, please let me know. :beerdrinking:
I went with BCN, because I could try it for free. Download free maps, and found a track gpx file for free on the web. Have since bought the full version.

Your thought on the body lift sounds good. Would also give you some more rocker clearance.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Smart phones have gps built in, so no need for an external device.

The "key" is to download the map to the smart phone, so that it does not require cell service to stay active.

You might try downloading the free version. Then download a map of your local neighborhood. Turn the phone to airplane mode, and cruise around a bit, to get a feel for it. You'll be able to plot points, etc. Kind of 'learn" it a bit.
Then no matter which app you chose, you'll have an insight to how it works, and also what you expect from it.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I was going to mount a 60" big screen on the front bumper for the same reason!

I don't know apple products at all. But... it's almost unanimous in favor of Gaia for this platform. So just need to figure out if your ipad has gps. If not there are blue tooth gps recievers that work. If I remember right, Bad Elf is well regarded. But check on the gps forums to see what it best.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Enjoying all the excellent work!

Looks like an awesome day! :thumb:
Great pictures! :worthy:
So cool to get out and really enjoy the fruits of all the hard work you guys put in.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Great video, and choice of music to go with it! :thumb:

On your CB, is the issue how you hear things, or how others hear you?
SWR is mainly a TX thing, but if there is an open circuit, that could definitely affect Rx.

Winch confidence is a great feeling! :)

Wonder what would happen, if you loosen the bolts on the bumper mounting brackets to see if there is enough movement to gain some clearance? In either case, the body lift will be great with the 37" tires.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts