Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
Very nice. I have the very same car in the same color coming soon - I hope - and this gives me good ideas.

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
Your build continues to be an inspiration. Keep up the good work!

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
Ever read those negative threads about costing money to run 37s? Why do they always have to be right?? Ughh :doh:

Have noticed a difference in the handling the last couple of weeks. Not sure how to describe it, but it's a little twitchy. Then came some rubbing noise in the rear. I used some google-fu on the WF forum and deduced that it might be a rear flange issue.

So, last night was my regular 5k oil change/tire rotation, I went ahead and put the Jeep up on stands to check the runout on the rear axle. Sure enough as soon as I put it in drive I could hear the back, then I look and they're having trouble even just rotating. I didn't measure with a dial but could see about an 1/8th" wobble when I held a pencil up to it.

So looks like I'll be ordering some axle shafts today, believe I've decided on these: Revolution Axle, 07-15 Jeep JK, Rubicon US Made Rear Axle Kit, 32 Spine

I knew this day was coming when the wife decided on 37s instead of the 35s I'd planned. BUT, we really haven't wheeled that hard, so I'm a little surprised.

Anywho, wish me luck. Hopefully they'll be in by the end of next week.
It's probably the rotational inertia of those big ass 37's, you may actually be wearing out the bearings more at high speed on the highway than at 3 mph on the trail...

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
Awesome! Couple questions: - did you have to purge/refill the brake lines? - did you have to drain the differential oil in case it drains out of the shaft?

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
The win is strong with this Jeep.

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
Front is Ace too.....Pro series stubby with bull bar and 20" single bar light option.

They are both pretty solid. 1/4" plate.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
Do you have any kind of extended warranty?

You've got 60k miles on the powertrain...

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
And then, at the end of the day...... the stock front drive shaft finally gave up the boot. Gotta figure out what to do from here, buy a new one or buy someones take off or repair.... hmmmm.... decisions, decisions.....
I'd go aftermarket if I were you. Like Tom Wood. Costs less than a new OEM.

A takeoff OEM will end up failing the same way some day.

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
I'd go aftermarket if I were you. Like Tom Wood. Costs less than a new OEM.

A takeoff OEM will end up failing the same way some day.
That's the way I'm leaning. Any knowledge of the Krawl off road shafts?
No, but in my (limited) opinion the two key factors are:
- the shaft length; measuring well is critical
- the ability to service (grease) the joints

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
So I've been struggling with engine temps, not real bad, but not where I want them. Normal trip in to work will get to 220 in the mornings, trip home will get to 228 before the fan kicks on and it drops to 218ish. Also have had a slight odor of coolant. Checked under the hood today and noticed there's a small leak in the thermostat housing and I've lost some coolant out of the reservoir. Very small, but there.

So today I ordered a new housing and thermostat. Ordered the Dorman housing LINK and a mishimoto thermostat LINK. The mishimoto is supposed to activate at 180 instead of 203. Will be great in the summer but we'll see how it does in the winter.

I'll post pics of the leak when the parts get here and I pull the intake off. Hopefully mid next week will have everything.

Wish me luck :D
I've been running on the hot side as well and but the dealership, while agreeing the temps were a tad high, "couldn't replicate the problem" (usual cop-out)

I'll be looking into that thermostat and perhaps reprogramming the fan as well.

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
Cool! I'll have to check mine.

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
Awesome! Love that rig, inspires my build.

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
Reactions: BlueBabySound

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
This past weekend was ROCK THE OZARKS at SMORR. Didn't take a lot of pics, but here's a few of the weekend.

That dog's thinking "you're gonna take THAT line?"

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
Here's a few pics from the 2nd day where we finished the Rear and front axles and brake kits. Had to trim part of the CRD60 to fit the falcon shocks, fortunately the shop had a plasma cutter that made short work of it :)
So now the Jeep is on the ground, final torques are done. Still putting on the Poison Spyder fenders, man what a pain they are!! :)
Which PS fenders did you get, and what makes them so hard to install?

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
Spent the week with the family in the Ouachita National Forest, took both Jeeps.

All was great until the last day.... My daughter called us when we were at the river to inform me she backed into a tree and broke the taillight.... LOL

(...)

So Brutus will be getting some rear corner armor, thinking about going Poison Spyder. I have a PM to our local 4WP manager for a quote.

Been there, done that! I have the AEV corners, look a lot like the Poison Spyder but shorter.

I pulled the dent out best I could, bondoe'd the rest and painted it Copperhead. Then put on the corners.

Reactions: BlueBabySound
1 - 20 of 31 Posts