Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
201 - 220 of 1282 Posts

·
Administrator
19,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
So we welded last night from the time I got off work until about 10. Everything is done except for the track bar bracket, so we left the factory one for now.

Kids have me tied up today, so that leaves tomorrow (Wednesday) as ball joint install and reassembly day. Momma has spoken and given me a Thursday deadline, she's tired of watching all the other Jeeps with their tops off...

I have to give mad props to my local Jeep family, several guys that put forth time and talent to help get Brutus his legs back.

Pics of last nights work:

C gussetts:

Lower control arm skids:

First coat of paint, went with semi-flat black:

Summary after day 3 of work:
I had no idea what I was asking of others as far as time and effort. The Truss was much more time intensive than I thought. BUT It will all be worth it in the long run.

PS- My dad got back last night right before we started and totally shamed me on the welding skills. He has a thirst to replace the old stick machine with a MIG now.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
nicely done. I did my artec kit ages ago and it has held up perfectly. pure beef. I cooled my knuckles while welding and got another 10k out of my balljoints but swaping them at the time is the best route. those factory ones are crap when they leave the factory.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
i reused my factory balljoints and left them in during the welding. had to replace them after.

wrapped them in wet rag and welded little sections at a time while letting it cool inbetween stitches.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I had fun getting to watch real welders work last night! Lucas seems like a heck of a guy to learn from. Can't wait to see everything put back together and you guys out on the trail!

·
Administrator
19,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
I had fun getting to watch real welders work last night! Lucas seems like a heck of a guy to learn from. Can't wait to see everything put back together and you guys out on the trail!
Thanks for hanging with us :thumb: You're next :D

Dad's got the itch for a MIG now so I'm sure he'll add one to the shop soon. He came out and layed down a wicked weld, put me to shame :nonono:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts

Dad's got the itch for a MIG now so I'm sure he'll add one to the shop soon. He came out and layed down a wicked weld, put me to shame :nonono:
Ha, yep. I am thinking hard about doing the C's soon. But no more mods til we buy a house. But that doesn't mean I can't spend money on Jeep trips. Good thing we have lots of those coming up!

·
Build Thread Queen
13,189 Posts

But that's what Dads are for! :)

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I'd love to see a picture of your welding skills v/s your dads! I shouldn't talk, I've never even tried welding.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I'd love to see a picture of your welding skills v/s your dads! I shouldn't talk, I've never even tried welding.
It was great! Don't worry, his dad did an excellent job of rubbing it in that his was better. But in Blue's defense, his dad is an engineer and had done some welding in the past.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,189 Posts
I failed to write down toque for upper and lower ca's, anyone got them handy?
Fronts:

Suspension Arm Lower Axle Bracket Nut

Suspension Arm Lower Frame Bracket Nut

Suspension Arm Upper Axle Bracket Nut/Bolt

Suspension Arm Upper Frame Bracket Bolt

Rears

Suspension Arm Lower Axle Bracket Nut

Suspension Arm Lower Frame Bracket Bolt

Suspension Arm Upper Axle Bracket Bolt

Suspension Arm Upper Frame Bracket Bolt

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
FRONT SUSPENSION
DESCRIPTION Ft.Lbs.

Suspension Arm Lower Axle Bracket Nut 125
Suspension Arm Lower Frame Bracket Nut 125
Suspension Arm Upper Axle Bracket Nut/Bolt 75
Suspension Arm Upper Frame Bracket Bolt 75

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
So we welded last night from the time I got off work until about 10. Everything is done except for the track bar bracket, so we left the factory one for now.

Kids have me tied up today, so that leaves tomorrow (Wednesday) as ball joint install and reassembly day. Momma has spoken and given me a Thursday deadline, she's tired of watching all the other Jeeps with their tops off...

I have to give mad props to my local Jeep family, several guys that put forth time and talent to help get Brutus his legs back.

Pics of last nights work:

C gussetts:

Lower control arm skids:

First coat of paint, went with semi-flat black:

Summary after day 3 of work:
I had no idea what I was asking of others as far as time and effort. The Truss was much more time intensive than I thought. BUT It will all be worth it in the long run.

PS- My dad got back last night right before we started and totally shamed me on the welding skills. He has a thirst to replace the old stick machine with a MIG now.
So, stupid question (since I'm not much of an offroader)...

What is the ultimate purpose to your latest mods? Is it stiffer ride? More flex? Better axle protection? What does the control arm allow for?

I'm sure I could waste 3 hours to research on my own but I was curious so I figured I would ask.

Still waiting on the welding comparison picture as well... :whistling:

·
Administrator
19,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
Thank you Star and Lee for the info. Thought I had written down all my torque specs but forgot those.

Weather was bad here yesterday so I was by myself all day. Finished up but it took a lot longer than expected.

I'll snap some installed pics later today, here's a few from yesterday:

2nd coat of paint:

Painted the knuckles while they were off

The lower CA skids are BEEF!!

Used a furniture dolly with jack stands to roll the axle into place and bolt up.

Only one OH CRAP moment when the lower CA swung down and smacked me on the forehead and cheek. Was like getting hit with a baseball bat. Swelled up but it's all better now LOL

201 - 220 of 1282 Posts