Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
281 - 300 of 1282 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
Ever read those negative threads about costing money to run 37s? Why do they always have to be right?? Ughh :doh:

Have noticed a difference in the handling the last couple of weeks. Not sure how to describe it, but it's a little twitchy. Then came some rubbing noise in the rear. I used some google-fu on the WF forum and deduced that it might be a rear flange issue.

So, last night was my regular 5k oil change/tire rotation, I went ahead and put the Jeep up on stands to check the runout on the rear axle. Sure enough as soon as I put it in drive I could hear the back, then I look and they're having trouble even just rotating. I didn't measure with a dial but could see about an 1/8th" wobble when I held a pencil up to it.

So looks like I'll be ordering some axle shafts today, believe I've decided on these: Revolution Axle, 07-15 Jeep JK, Rubicon US Made Rear Axle Kit, 32 Spine

I knew this day was coming when the wife decided on 37s instead of the 35s I'd planned. BUT, we really haven't wheeled that hard, so I'm a little surprised.

Anywho, wish me luck. Hopefully they'll be in by the end of next week.
It's probably the rotational inertia of those big ass 37's, you may actually be wearing out the bearings more at high speed on the highway than at 3 mph on the trail...

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Ever read those negative threads about costing money to run 37s? Why do they always have to be right?? Ughh :doh: Have noticed a difference in the handling the last couple of weeks. Not sure how to describe it, but it's a little twitchy. Then came some rubbing noise in the rear. I used some google-fu on the WF forum and deduced that it might be a rear flange issue. So, last night was my regular 5k oil change/tire rotation, I went ahead and put the Jeep up on stands to check the runout on the rear axle. Sure enough as soon as I put it in drive I could hear the back, then I look and they're having trouble even just rotating. I didn't measure with a dial but could see about an 1/8th" wobble when I held a pencil up to it. So looks like I'll be ordering some axle shafts today, believe I've decided on these: Revolution Axle, 07-15 Jeep JK, Rubicon US Made Rear Axle Kit, 32 Spine I knew this day was coming when the wife decided on 37s instead of the 35s I'd planned. BUT, we really haven't wheeled that hard, so I'm a little surprised. Anywho, wish me luck. Hopefully they'll be in by the end of next week.
Sorry to hear that Blue Baby, but the new look super cool. :)

When you say, "check the runout", what does that mean? Learn me brother.

·
Registered
175 Posts
She decided on 37s so your golden. Shouldn't be any issue getting upgrades. You get them gears yet? I think those 37s caused your gears to go bad too. Hint hint.

·
Administrator
19,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #285 ·
Sorry to hear that Blue Baby, but the new look super cool. :) When you say, "check the runout", what does that mean? Learn me brother.
Just checking to see if it's true. There's a dial you can do it with and a tolerance it should be within. I could visually tell it was off.
Funny now I'm tuning into the sound more since I know it's there. Ordering them tonight when I get home, would like to have them on before our trip on the 30th.

·
Administrator
19,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #287 · (Edited)
Couple of people have asked, so here is how I determined the axle shafts needed to be replaced:
I could feel something different in the handling, start getting slightly twitchy. No audible sounds.

Lots of googlefu on the forum led me to kjeeper talking about bent axles so I started there. Pulled the wheels off and did an unscientific test on the runout. As soon as I put the Jeep in drive I heard the brakes rubbing. One side was catching and not turning well, the other side was locked up not turing at all.

Here's some vid showing it- this is the side that was moving:

Once I heard the brakes rubbing and was tuned into the sound then I heard it when driving.

·
Administrator
19,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #288 ·
And so begins today's journey. New rear axles are in so the first thing I did was update my signature to include them :D

Next up is packing, box was in great condition, axles were safe and sound inside expanding foam. No visible damage.

Everything was pressed on, ready to install EXCEPT the studs.

Nice little drawings on the box showing some of their products, looked here for torque specs for the lugs, not there. No instructions either so here I am getting ready to google them.

I'll be back in a couple of hours when I'm ready for a beer....

·
Administrator
19,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 ·
Allen's Offroad had the lug torque on the website, Thanks Allen!
Revolution Axle, 07-15 Jeep JK, Rubicon US Made Rear Axle Kit, 32 Spine

So they went on pretty easy. Here's a few pics:

Didn't know the proper way to torque the studs for the lugs, so I hand tightened the lugs, layed down a tire and inserted the shaft. Seemed to work well, they were easy to torque down.

Removed the caliper:

And here's the ebrake with rotor removed:

Removed the 4 bolts holding the shaft.
Reversed the rotor and slightly tightened some lugs to make a homemade hammer pull.

Then the axle popped right out:

Put a little gear oil on the new axle:

Slid the new axle in:

Reinstalled the 4 bolts and the caliper:

That's it.
I took it pretty slow, took lots of pictures. We'll see how fast the other side goes in.

NOTE: Rubicon rear shafts are not equal length. Sports and Saharas are.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,189 Posts
Wow! That's awesome! You must be proud of your accomplishment. :thumb:

(No, that wasn't meant sarcastically. I couldn't figure out a way that didn't sound bad! :p)

·
Administrator
19,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #291 ·
Thanks Star! :drinks:
I'm no mechanic. But there's something satisfying about jumping in and working on your Jeep.

Second side took 20 minutes to install. Jeep was already in the air and the tire was already removed. :bop:

Big thanks to Allen @AOR Allen's Offroad He had a great price on the axle shafts and got them to me quickly, even over a holiday weekend.

:iamhappy:

On the downside..... A group of us had a ride planned for this weekend, but the huge amount of rain forced us to cancel. There were several river crossings and the high water would have been unsafe.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,189 Posts
That's awesome. I bought my lift from Allen, too. He was good to me as well. :)

Last weekend during the flood there was supposed to be an intro to wheeling at Hidden Falls that got cancelled. Dirt Riot was supposed to be there this weekend, but I didn't hear if that was cancelled or not. Although it would have been more MUD Riot than DIRT riot. :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Nice work blue. I hope I don't have to go through this someday. I know who to ask for help. Haha. Looks like it went smooth.

·
Administrator
19,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #294 ·
Nice work blue. I hope I don't have to go through this someday. I know who to ask for help. Haha. Looks like it went smooth.
You're not much lighter with wheels/tires, so I'd plan on it. We made it 20K.
And absolutely, now that I know how to do it we can knock it out in no time :thumb:

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
Awesome! Couple questions: - did you have to purge/refill the brake lines? - did you have to drain the differential oil in case it drains out of the shaft?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm already wanting 37s so once these tires wear out I'll probably be facing changing mine out. Take care and maybe we can hook up sometime when this dam rain stops!

·
Administrator
19,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #297 ·
Awesome! Couple questions: - did you have to purge/refill the brake lines?
Thanks!

Nope, brakes stay connected. I tested the runout on the first side before I put the caliper back on. Didn't think about it compressing when I pressed on the brake to put it in drive. No biggie, just pressed it back in.

did you have to drain the differential oil in case it drains out of the shaft?
Maybe a tablespoon spilled out one side, not bad. I'm 15k on my diff fluid so I'll probably swap it out next weekend anyway. Check things out then.

281 - 300 of 1282 Posts