Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
381 - 400 of 1282 Posts

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Love your jeep....question....I went through your whole build and saw that you had some welded onto one of the axles....looked like a truss and c gussets etc? (Still learning) I saw then that you replaced an axle. Was the axle that you replaced different than the one you beefed up? I'm confused.

I have a 2016 JKU on order and want to use 35 or 37 inch tires. What do u suggest that I do to strengthen stuff so I don't have things break and bend?

Joe

·
Administrator
19,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #382 ·
Love your jeep....question....I went through your whole build and saw that you had some welded onto one of the axles....looked like a truss and c gussets etc? (Still learning) I saw then that you replaced an axle. Was the axle that you replaced different than the one you beefed up? I'm confused.

I have a 2016 JKU on order and want to use 35 or 37 inch tires. What do u suggest that I do to strengthen stuff so I don't have things break and bend?

Joe
Thanks, Joe!
So far I've put Truss/C gussets/ball joints on the front axle, it's still running the stock axle shafts.
The rear axle has thicker DOM from the factory, still not sure if I'll truss it or wait until I upgrade the whole axle. The rear axle shafts are a weak spot when you run heavier wheel/tire set ups. The weight of mine bent the flange (flat round piece that holds the lug nuts)

I'll tell you upfront things will fail faster with the heavier wheels/tires, so plan accordingly. I would do the C gussets as soon as you can to eliminate that worry. Truss or sleeves up front IF you wheel. Everything else can wait until it wears out. I made it 18K on my ball joints and just over that on the rear axle shafts.

Congrats on your order!! Time will crawl until it gets here, then it will fly by :D
:beerdrinking:

·
Registered
1 Posts
this build thread got me to register on this site. its amazing ! i loved every bit.

i own a toyota fj cruiser modded with more than 15k$, after looking at this build thread, i hated my car ! never thought jeeps will be this fun, i feel sorry for my self for getting the fj.

loved the fact that the car is very easy to mod, lots of parts and mods, tons of flex, front and rear lockers, sway bar disconnection, fitting big tires with no frame mods (( unlike the fj, i had to do a massive body mount chop + wheel spacers + UCAs + positive caster, all of that to fit 315s ! and it still rubs ! ))

other thing is, adding more HPs, u guys got tons of options out there (( supercharges - turbos - swaps )). while i HAVE zero options to add power on my fj.

im gonna sell my FJ ASAP, and ill join this family.

Thanks again to "Blue Baby Sound" for sharing this build story. keep us posted :punk:

·
Administrator
19,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #384 ·
this build thread got me to register on this site. its amazing ! i loved every bit.

i own a toyota fj cruiser modded with more than 15k$, after looking at this build thread, i hated my car ! never thought jeeps will be this fun, i feel sorry for my self for getting the fj.

loved the fact that the car is very easy to mod, lots of parts and mods, tons of flex, front and rear lockers, sway bar disconnection, fitting big tires with no frame mods (( unlike the fj, i had to do a massive body mount chop + wheel spacers + UCAs + positive caster, all of that to fit 315s ! and it still rubs ! ))

other thing is, adding more HPs, u guys got tons of options out there (( supercharges - turbos - swaps )). while i HAVE zero options to add power on my fj.

im gonna sell my FJ ASAP, and ill join this family.

Thanks again to "Blue Baby Sound" for sharing this build story. keep us posted :punk:
Wow, THANKS!

I haven't shared the trail with an FJ yet, I have with several other types of Yotas though. I wasn't aware they were that difficult to mod, thanks for sharing.

Good luck on your search for a Jeep! :beerdrinking:

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Thanks, Joe!
So far I've put Truss/C gussets/ball joints on the front axle, it's still running the stock axle shafts.
The rear axle has thicker DOM from the factory, still not sure if I'll truss it or wait until I upgrade the whole axle. The rear axle shafts are a weak spot when you run heavier wheel/tire set ups. The weight of mine bent the flange (flat round piece that holds the lug nuts)

I'll tell you upfront things will fail faster with the heavier wheels/tires, so plan accordingly. I would do the C gussets as soon as you can to eliminate that worry. Truss or sleeves up front IF you wheel. Everything else can wait until it wears out. I made it 18K on my ball joints and just over that on the rear axle shafts.

Congrats on your order!! Time will crawl until it gets here, then it will fly by :D
:beerdrinking:
ok, so whether I ultimately go with 35" or 37" tires, I'm trying to order stuff in advance and have it all so when I bring the jeep to a shop for the lift, I can hopefully get other things installed at the same time like new gears etc. I would like to replace the stuff that is likely to break now without having to worry about it later so I guess I'm asking for a suggestion of a list of items of things to upgrade.

I think I'm hearing that I should install gussets, new stronger front and rear axles and new ball joints.

Is that enough? Or am I still going to break things? I'm thinking that the truss made the "Tube" of the axle stronger so replacing the axle alone might not be enough if the "Tube" its in bends. Am I thinking about this right?

Do you need to truss if you have stronger axle shafts? What about the drive shaft? Tie rods?

·
Administrator
19,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #386 ·
ok, so whether I ultimately go with 35" or 37" tires, I'm trying to order stuff in advance and have it all so when I bring the jeep to a shop for the lift, I can hopefully get other things installed at the same time like new gears etc. I would like to replace the stuff that is likely to break now without having to worry about it later so I guess I'm asking for a suggestion of a list of items of things to upgrade.

I think I'm hearing that I should install gussets, new stronger front and rear axles and new ball joints.

Is that enough? Or am I still going to break things? I'm thinking that the truss made the "Tube" of the axle stronger so replacing the axle alone might not be enough if the "Tube" its in bends. Am I thinking about this right?

Do you need to truss if you have stronger axle shafts? What about the drive shaft? Tie rods?
Everything depends on what you're getting and what you're going to do with it.

I would need more info to offer an opinion.

So,
  1. What are you buying? (Sport, Sahara, Willys, Rubicon?)
  2. How hard are you going to wheel it?
  3. What's your budget?

Let's start there.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
I ordered a Sport, so it has the Dana 30 up front and the Dana 44 in the rear. I admit I will not be doing rock crawling with it, just want to use it as a summer toy, maybe hit a trail or two but nothing major at all!

As far as budget goes, I don't really have one. I want to buy good quality parts, not the best but not the junk either.

Honestly, I'm not so much concerned about cost, I'm more concerned about doing it right so I don't have to worry about stuff breaking if my wife happens to take it for a spin. Plus, if its going to break anyway, I'd rather replace it now while the jeep is brand new and get it over with.

·
Administrator
19,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #388 ·
Thanks, that helps.

If I were in your shoes, and wanted to be proactive, here's what I'd plan for 35s/37s.

Quality Lift: 3" range.
Rock Krawler, Metal Cloak, Teraflex, Mopar. Don't skimp here, it's important stuff

Front axle:
C gussets, sleeves, ball joints, track bar, gears. All at once to save on labor.
Optional- Tie rod/ends

Rear axle:
Gears, axle shafts

Gears:
Generally 4.56 for 35s OR 4.88 for 37s

Wheels:
With proper backspace for size/width of your tire

Tires:
Obviously :)

That's a lot of $$ upfront and all at once. If a shop is doing the work I'd budget about 10k for what's listed above. But IMO it would build a Jeep that's great for the trails and great DD. I wouldn't have any concerns with the wife driving it.

If that's more $$ than you want to drop at one time then look at KJ's lift and replace components as they fail.
WF's Most Popular JK Lift/Shock Setup - KJ Combo Deal
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/most-popular-lift-shock-setup-on-wf-1136938.html
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/beginners-guide-to-lifting-your-jk-298665.html

Hope that helps :beerdrinking:

PS:
Understand there are a lot of opinions, and differing opinions may still have merit.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Thanks that really helps. I have the lift already, its an AEV Dual Sport SC 3.5" lift and I have the wheels on order, KMC XD 20"x10" Heists. I'm thinking about Toyo R/t tires.

Since I have the 3.21 gears, definitely going to goto the 4.56 or 4.88's.

So you don't think I would need to upgrade the axle shafts on the front only the rear?

Finally, the track bar, I think that comes with the AEV kit correct? LOL, I'm not ever sure what the hell that is!! I think the kit uses brakets and re-uses the OEM front track bar but the rear is new if I remember correctly.

Again, thanks for putting up with a newbie and all the stupid questions. I'm spending alot of time on these threads learning as much as I can before the jeep gets here so I can make the best mods I can by leveraging all the great experience of the others that have gone before me.

Did I mention I love your jeep?

·
Administrator
19,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #390 ·
Thank for the compliment :)

Good call on the RTs, I may try them next go around.
I think the factory front axle shafts will last you quite a while.
AEV is good stuff, not sure on the track bar being included.

Glad to help. Just get lots of opinions and read up on here. It's a great resource. :beerdrinking:

·
Administrator
19,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #393 ·
its killing me seeing the calipers paint matched but the wheels not haha i think if you change the silver on wheels to copperhead to match the body would set it off nice
Ha never thought of that.
Silvers my other accent color so I'm OK with it. Not to mention that would be a lot of painting :)

381 - 400 of 1282 Posts