Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
41 - 60 of 1282 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
We'll keep this Jeep forever, so a little extra up front was the right choice for us. No regrets on the purchase.
:beerme:

I'm the same way. Do it RIGHT and do it ONCE.

Guess I'll add it to the list. At least I sorted out my lift/wheel/tire decision, that was brutal. Lol

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Do tell, what did you decide?
RK 1.5 X-Factor Kit (will net 2.5" lift w/ all 8 adjustable CAs and both adjustable TBs)

Rancho 9000xl shocks

Goodyear MT/R w/ Kevlar 35x12.5x17

You're already very familiar with the wheels. ;)
(At least they are currently leading the race)

*just cleared my PM inbox too. lol*

·
Administrator
19,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
RK 1.5 X-Factor Kit (will net 2.5" lift w/ all 8 adjustable CAs and both adjustable TBs)

Rancho 9000xl shocks

Goodyear MT/R w/ Kevlar 35x12.5x17

You're already very familiar with the wheels. ;)
(At least they are currently leading the race)

*just cleared my PM inbox too. lol*

Can't wait to see it!!

My wife opens/closes the tailgate 10 times a day, that's why we went with the Teraflex hinge instead of a bumper mounted one. Works exactly as we had hoped.

She just took a couple of shots to show the clearance with a 37 mounted. Let me know if you want any other angles.

·
Administrator
19,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Nice looking rig, Im surprised you were able to get 37's on it with the mopar stage 3 lift. What are your impressions of the lift so far?
Thanks!

We haven't been able to test him yet. Still need to get him on a ramp to figure out the next steps. Fenders will have to go (or at least be cut), not sure if we'll need a 1" BL at full flex. Ride is good.

I'll update the post when we test him and again when he goes off road (can't wait!)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks!

We haven't been able to test him yet. Still need to get him on a ramp to figure out the next steps. Fenders will have to go (or at least be cut), not sure if we'll need a 1" BL at full flex. Ride is good.
How much lift is the mopar stage 3? I am running 37" cooper STTs on a RK 2.5" lift. I did have to go flat fenders (trimmed for now) but wont need a body lift. Im running 2" bumpstops up front and 3 in the rear. But with a little more trimming ill drop down to a 2" bumpstop in the rear. Yours looks higher than a 2.5" lift so I think youll be fine without a body lift.

Great looking Jeep! I love BMF wheels. Im still running my 4.10s too and i cant imagine towing with it. It still drives fine, its just that 6th gear is now useless and it takes a little more skinny pedal to get moving. Ill probably step up to 5.13 when the time comes for a lower crawl ratio.

·
Administrator
19,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
How much lift is the mopar stage 3? I am running 37" cooper STTs on a RK 2.5" lift. I did have to go flat fenders (trimmed for now) but wont need a body lift. Im running 2" bumpstops up front and 3 in the rear. But with a little more trimming ill drop down to a 2" bumpstop in the rear. Yours looks higher than a 2.5" lift so I think youll be fine without a body lift.

Great looking Jeep! I love BMF wheels. Im still running my 4.10s too and i cant imagine towing with it. It still drives fine, its just that 6th gear is now useless and it takes a little more skinny pedal to get moving. Ill probably step up to 5.13 when the time comes for a lower crawl ratio.
They say the Mopar kit gets 3" for a JKU. I dropped the ball on the before and after measurements, not sure how much lift I netted. Hoping the flat fenders will be enough, I really don't want to do a BL. I did stuff the rear the other day using a jack, no rubbing until it was fully flexed. Haven't done the front yet.

I'm bummed about the towing, I had really hoped for better. I think I'll try upgrading my flashcal with a tow tune and see how that does. Pretty sure I'll have to swap out gears though.

I can't decide between 4.88 and 5.13, If I had the manual I would def go with 5.13. Decisons, decisions..... Probably 5.13 since I'll be towing

Thanks for stopping in and for the kind words!

·
Build Thread Queen
13,189 Posts
Looks like a good day, BBS! :)

·
Administrator
19,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Hey, who's that happy-go-lucky guy in the passenger seat? ;)

Since Sportygirl will be DD'ing it, if you end up keeping track of fuel mileage, I'd be real interested.
I *think* the 4.10s are a perfect balance for this size tire, and what you guys are doing with the Jeep (i.e. DD/weekend warrior). So your input would be really valuable.
Update: 14.8 current MPG average at 25 psi. Top off, mixed driving hwy/city, no towing. I'm going to sneak the psi up to 28ish and do another average.

I had no idea he would be spending so much time at the pump when I posted that pic. LOL

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Hey! you guys are doing better than me with the stock wheels & tires! :thumb:

Have you tried the chalk test yet?
I've been using this test for decades, and really like how it works.
Basically find a straight stretch of road about 1/8 to 1/4 mile or longer. Rub a straight line across the tread from inside to outside on each tire, then drive about 1/8 mile straight ahead. Look at what's left of the chalk on each tire. The best tire pressure will have the chalk worn off evenly all the way across. A portable tire pump works great, because you can make changes on the fly.
I do this empty, and then with a standard payload. Then write the numbers on a piece of sticky note that sits in the glove box, so I don't have to try and remember stuff... ;)

Was watching a Teraflex YouTube video on different lift heights & tire sizes. There was one guy with either 40"s or 37"s who said he was getting a bit more than 16 mpg. So there is still fuel mileage for you to find.
Good luck Sir! :thumb:

Reactions: Heavy-Metal

·
Administrator
19,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Looks like a good day, BBS! :)
Thanks, Star. My heart still longs to get him dirty on some trails, hopefully soon!

Hey! you guys are doing better than me with the stock wheels & tires! :thumb:

Have you tried the chalk test yet?
I've been using this test for decades, and really like how it works.
Basically find a straight stretch of road about 1/8 to 1/4 mile or longer. Rub a straight line across the tread from inside to outside on each tire, then drive about 1/8 mile straight ahead. Look at what's left of the chalk on each tire. The best tire pressure will have the chalk worn off evenly all the way across. A portable tire pump works great, because you can make changes on the fly.
I do this empty, and then with a standard payload. Then write the numbers on a piece of sticky note that sits in the glove box, so I don't have to try and remember stuff... ;)

Was watching a Teraflex YouTube video on different lift heights & tire sizes. There was one guy with either 40"s or 37"s who said he was getting a bit more than 16 mpg. So there is still fuel mileage for you to find.
Good luck Sir! :thumb:
Hmmm, great idea! I'll try that.

How is your daughter's knee? my 4 all play sports, I am always dreading the big injury. I hope she gets better soon!
Thanks for asking.

On the 1st visit the Dr said 90% sure it's a torn ACL, ordered an MRI to verify. 2nd visit he said no tear but a knee fracture above the ACL and will heal on it's own. A little rehab and rest then she'll be back on the field this fall.

We have 6 kids, 3 still in the house. The two 14 year olds have played soccer for 10 years (5 years competitive), this is our first major injury. We always worry too. Our kids are spaced several years apart (14-28) I don't now how you keep up with 4 in sports at the same time. My hat's off to you!

:beerdrinking:

41 - 60 of 1282 Posts