Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
61 - 80 of 1282 Posts

·
Build Thread Queen
13,189 Posts
You've GOT to stop posting pictures like this!!!

You're giving Mike waaaaay too many ideas! :rofl2:

Brutus is the :whacky:!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Got completely nekkid a couple of days ago.

LOVE N IT! :iamhappy:

This is one absolutely bad ass photo! Any tips for taking the doors off? I did it on my older YJ but the JK doors appear to be heavier. Don't want to have any issues.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,189 Posts
This is one absolutely bad ass photo! Any tips for taking the doors off? I did it on my older YJ but the JK doors appear to be heavier. Don't want to have any issues.
ONCE YOU TAKE OFF THE DELIMITING STRAP DO NOT LET GO OF THE DOOR!!! FOR NO REASON SHOULD YOU EVER LET GO OF THE DOOR ONCE THE DELIMITING STRAP IS OFF!!!

Was that emphatic enough for you? :D

I'd get a piece of pipe insulation or cut up a pool noodle and put it across the bottom of the door so if you need to set it down for any reason while carrying it to its final resting place, you will be prepared and not get any scratches from sitting it on the ground.

And don't forget to make sure the windows are down before you pull the door harnesses. Ask me how I know. LOL

·
Administrator
19,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
ONCE YOU TAKE OFF THE DELIMITING STRAP DO NOT LET GO OF THE DOOR!!! FOR NO REASON SHOULD YOU EVER LET GO OF THE DOOR ONCE THE DELIMITING STRAP IS OFF!!!

I'd get a piece of pipe insulation or cut up a pool noodle and put it across the bottom of the door so if you need to set it down for any reason while carrying it to its final resting place, you will be prepared and not get any scratches from sitting it on the ground.

And don't forget to make sure the windows are down before you pull the door harnesses. Ask me how I know. LOL
^said better than I could. I'll add that I used a piece of electrical tape on my torx ratchet to keep from scratching the paint.

Should have taken a pic, but I looked in the garage and had a spare carpeted flight case just the right size for all 4 doors. Dropped the first one in and rolled the case to the next door. You're probably not going to have one of those laying around. LOL

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I was just excited when I found the place for the door bolts in the "trunk". I typically take the door bolts off and leave them off unless I'm somewhere sketchy. On my other Jeeps they had to live in my center console, but know they have an actual home.

It's the little things. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts

I can't hear you, can you speak a little louder. :rofl:

Thanks for the tips! I already bought an extra pool noodle so that I can put on the bottom of the door. I'm one step ahead of you Star! ;)

^said better than I could. I'll add that I used a piece of electrical tape on my torx ratchet to keep from scratching the paint.

Should have taken a pic, but I looked in the garage and had a spare carpeted flight case just the right size for all 4 doors. Dropped the first one in and rolled the case to the next door. You're probably not going to have one of those laying around. LOL
I was going to use a pool noodle or piece of cardboard but I like the electrical tape suggestion!

Thanks you two! I'm guessing the door isn't too heavy and that you should lift with one hand under the door and the other arm through the window grasping the top from underneath. Sound about right?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I'm guessing the door isn't too heavy and that you should lift with one hand under the door and the other arm through the window grasping the top from underneath. Sound about right?
Yes sir!

Getting them off is easy. Putting them back on can be tricky because lining up the hinge pins at the same time can be a PITA.

·
Administrator
19,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Throw Back Thursday.

Here's our last Jeep, '13 JKU Sport S w/ 3.73, 6 speed manual. Shortly after ordering it my wife figured out a manual wasn't going to work with her new job, so we never fixed him (THOR) up. 9 months after buying THOR we drove home in BRUTUS.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Good stuff!

Yes sir!

Getting them off is easy. Putting them back on can be tricky because lining up the hinge pins at the same time can be a PITA.
There is a kit made that screws on to the top pin of each door, to extend the pin. Saw a post on this, and the guys who have the kit(s) seemed to really like it. I think they were purchased through Quadratec. Here is a link:
American Outlaw DP-1 - American Outlaw EZ On Door Pin Guides for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Looks like a 4 door requires two kits?

Throw Back Thursday.

Here's our last Jeep, '13 JKU Sport S w/ 3.73, 6 speed manual. Shortly after ordering it my wife figured out a manual wasn't going to work with her new job, so we never fixed him (THOR) up. 9 months after buying THOR we drove home in BRUTUS.
Wow! That looked like a pretty fun day! Hope to see shots of BRUTUS like this! :thumb:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Saw your towing concerns. Having just done the 4.88's I can see the 5.13's if you are going to be doing a lot of towing. I like my 4.88 but with the weight of my tires and rig I would say I am close to stock acceleration wise. A little more torque for towing would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
19,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Saw your towing concerns. Having just done the 4.88's I can see the 5.13's if you are going to be doing a lot of towing. I like my 4.88 but with the weight of my tires and rig I would say I am close to stock acceleration wise. A little more torque for towing would be appreciated.
Thanks for the heads up. If I re-gear it will be 5.13. Thinking about buying the FIL's F150 and using it for a tow rig.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Overlooked a pic of the brake kit:

High temp black with copperhead pearl letters.
DId you paint the calipers yourself or does Terraflex have that as an option?

Also, how difficult was the brake install? I imagine rotors and calipers are pretty easy. I'd be a bit leery about doing the master cylinder and brake lines. But if calipers and and rotors require a bleed job, then it is a moot point. I have done everything brake related on a motorcycle but all parts are much easier to get to.

Awesome looking jeep BTW!

NC

·
Build Thread Queen
13,189 Posts

Also, how difficult was the brake install? I imagine rotors and calipers are pretty easy. I'd be a bit leery about doing the master cylinder and brake lines. But if calipers and and rotors require a bleed job, then it is a moot point. I have done everything brake related on a motorcycle but all parts are much easier to get to.

NC
For what it's worth, Mike installed stainless brake lines for me last weekend. He bought a brake bleeder vacuum kit off amazon and it worked like a charm. Easy to do and the brakes work fine. I actually think the SS lines feel a little tighter than stock.

·
Administrator
19,404 Posts

NC
Thanks!
Super easy install, I've done 2 of them now. The parts come in bare, I used the brush on duplicolor caliper paint with Mopar paint for the letters. First I painted the caliper brackets while off the Jeep. Then painted the calipers while on the Jeep, just hung them in the wheel well and let dry overnight. At this point it still looks perfect, but who knows how it will hold up long term.

No bleeding is necessary. I'm still undecided if I'll do the master when I do the stainless lines. Probably will do both so I only have to bleed once.

Here's the Teraflex video on the install
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQsqF7xKCfk

·
Administrator
19,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
For what it's worth, Mike installed stainless brake lines for me last weekend. He bought a brake bleeder vacuum kit off amazon and it worked like a charm. Easy to do and the brakes work fine. I actually think the SS lines feel a little tighter than stock.
I've been looking for an excuse to buy one of those :)

·
Build Thread Queen
13,189 Posts
61 - 80 of 1282 Posts