161 - 180 of 1282 Posts

·
Administrator
19,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
A few new goodies.

First up: Artec Truss Kit. Inner Cs, Truss and Lower CA Skids

Second: Portable Compressor, no more air up worries

Third: Synergy Ball Joints. Old ones are just now (20k) showing signs of wear.

Target date of March 20 for install. Welder lined up, shop lined up, friends lined up, beer/pizza lined up. Should be a GO!!!

Wish me luck!!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Who is doing your C's and ball joints? At some point in the near future I will be adding C's to mine, still not sure about the truss but I know ball joints will be needed too. I've already got 10K miles on mine and it's only 5 months old. So I am betting by next fall I will need them.

·
Administrator
19,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
Who is doing your C's and ball joints? At some point in the near future I will be adding C's to mine, still not sure about the truss but I know ball joints will be needed too. I've already got 10K miles on mine and it's only 5 months old. So I am betting by next fall I will need them.
You're on track with us, 11 months old and 20k.

I've been struggling for awhile about whether to build up my D44 or just go D60. Short term I've decided to keep the 44 and build it. Long term: this summer I'll start looking for a Ford 60/Sterling or some variable of that. Artec has kits to fit them to a JK. I'll build it with RCVs, 5.13 and electric lockers over time as my budget allows. Might take a couple of years but I think it'll be worth it. Worse case I break the 44 and have a head start on a replacement.

I ordered the Ball Joints a couple of weeks ago. Before they came in I started thinking about the Cs, figured the time to weld those is while the BJs are out. So I talked to the CFO (wife) and got the go-ahead for the truss kit.

IMO the truss is just extra peace of mind. I've wheeled mine without it (as you know) and just stayed off the skinny pedal. My worry is always a rock under the mud puddle or something I don't see popping up. Cheap insurance. I'm a little paranoid because of the HEAVY 37s.

Plan on doing all the work at my dad's shop by Tulsa Hills. A Jeep friend is a great welder, said he'd do the welding. Another friend has a BJ press and is bringing it (former 4whp tech.) Couple other guys wanted to come because they'll soon have similar work to do. You're invited!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
You're on track with us, 11 months old and 20k.

I've been struggling for awhile about whether to build up my D44 or just go D60. Short term I've decided to keep the 44 and build it. Long term: this summer I'll start looking for a Ford 60/Sterling or some variable of that. Artec has kits to fit them to a JK. I'll build it with RCVs, 5.13 and electric lockers over time as my budget allows. Might take a couple of years but I think it'll be worth it. Worse case I break the 44 and have a head start on a replacement.

I ordered the Ball Joints a couple of weeks ago. Before they came in I started thinking about the Cs, figured the time to weld those is while the BJs are out. So I talked to the CFO (wife) and got the go-ahead for the truss kit.

IMO the truss is just extra peace of mind. I've wheeled mine without it (as you know) and just stayed off the skinny pedal. My worry is always a rock under the mud puddle or something I don't see popping up. Cheap insurance. I'm a little paranoid because of the HEAVY 37s.

Plan on doing all the work at my dad's shop by Tulsa Hills. A Jeep friend is a great welder, said he'd do the welding. Another friend has a BJ press and is bringing it (former 4whp tech.) Couple other guys wanted to come because they'll soon have similar work to do. You're invited!
Oh man, your build just keeps getting better! I can't wait to see those big boy axles under there.

I might take you up on that offer to come "help". And by help I mean hand the real mechanics tools and drink beer. I would just like to see the process so I know what I am getting myself into. Keep me posted when you're doing it and I will swing by. I live in mid-town so the Tulsa Hills are about 5 minutes from my house.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
A few new goodies. First up: Artec Truss Kit. Inner Cs, Truss and Lower CA Skids Second: Portable Compressor, no more air up worries Third: Synergy Ball Joints. Old ones are just now (20k) showing signs of wear. Target date of March 20 for install. Welder lined up, shop lined up, friends lined up, beer/pizza lined up. Should be a GO!!! Wish me luck!! http://s101.photobucket.com/user/idiutbox/media/Forum/artec_zpslctk55km.jpg.html http://s101.photobucket.com/user/id...2-4B95-8097-191CEDD869CA_zpsfrtf14vj.jpg.html http://s101.photobucket.com/user/id...7-4B91-8E86-E54CEC58689A_zpscf0bina4.jpg.html

Dam, Blue you know how to do it!

I wasn't invited?

Awesome build

·
Administrator
19,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
Thanks RubiX!!

Honestly not 100% sure they're bad, I haven't tested them. I occasionally hear popping on turns which I think are the ball joints. I figure with the heavy tires 23k is time.

We'll pull the axle this weekend so I'll know for sure. Picked up a Teraflex trackbar yesterday to add to the fun :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hey man, read your entire build thread. Very nice, your jeep is killer. Good luck with your stuff this week.

·
Premium Member
17,009 Posts
Which compressor did you choose? I know 37's can be a chore and hard on the compressor.

·
Administrator
19,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
Good start tonight, both axles are out, knuckles are off and we attempted to remove the ball joints with no luck. Going to swing by O'Reilly in the morning and see if they have one to rent.

Either way tomorrow the D44 gets Artec truss, Cs & lower CA skids welded on.

Sunday the monster trackbar and hopefully the new synergy ball joints.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Looks like fun. I'd love to learn how to pull these parts out. Progress is being made good job. How were the ball joints? Worn?

161 - 180 of 1282 Posts