Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my '14 JKURX for a little over 11 months, took it in yesterday to get the alignment checked because I noticed a hint of uneven tire wear. Plus I had a 2.5" coil spacer lift put on two days ago and wanted to get it checked just to be sure. It also has always had a very slight pull to the left.

After an hour at the dealer, the service writer comes and gets me and states "We have to call Chrysler to see what they want to do". Seems the camber is off and not adjustable. They did state the lift has nothing to do with this issue.

Just got a call from the dealer saying Chrysler said to replace the complete front axle assembly and they should have one in a couple of days. And that they will have me a rental car for a couple of days since I have to leave it at the dealer. All to be covered via warranty.

So far this has been a very easy process with no bickering. I hope to report back when this is done praising Jeep for stepping up (my dealer too).

Has anyone else had this experience of their JK not being able to be aligned correctly?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Subscribed. Please update us if you get more info. Is this a problem specific to your Jeep or is it a problem in the way it is made at the factory and will be a problem will all Jeeps?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which dealer is this? I may have to switch dealers. M&L?
Yes, M&L. That's where I ordered and bought my JKURX. They have been great so far, especially compared to the dealer in HP.

Subscribed. Please update us if you get more info. Is this a problem specific to your Jeep or is it a problem in the way it is made at the factory and will be a problem will all Jeeps?
Will do :thumb:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had no issues for a couple of months after my lift was installed on a new 14 JKU. In the past several weeks I know have a pretty hard left pull. 4 Wheel Parts looked at it yesterday and said the alignment is good and had not moved since the install. They swapped left side to right side front tires nothing.

We did re-gear still with open carrier in front. The only thing we found is when spinning the front wheels if you spin the right side the left front wheel slightly spins the opposite way but if you spin the left tire the right side doesn't move has it should.

If this could cause the left pull with some gear set up issue or possibly I have the same axle problem?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Today was the day. I dropped off my Jeep at the dealer for the axle assembly replacement. The tech wasn't in yet for me to talk to so I didn't get anymore details. Was supposed to take a couple of days but they just called and said I can come get it in the morning. Problem is it's better, but still off a little. The have to get back with Jeep again to see what else can be done. I'll try again to get more details, and will get the alignment printout.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE:
Front axle assembly replaced. Left side reading are now good. Right is now off. The dealer has to send the information to Chrysler/Jeep to see what they want to do next.
Here are the alignment printouts of the before and after axle swap. I admit I don't know exactly what the numbers mean.

BEFORE (original axle)

AFTER (new axle)

·
Registered
907 Posts
UPDATE:
Front axle assembly replaced. Left side reading are now good. Right is now off. The dealer has to send the information to Chrysler/Jeep to see what they want to do next.
Here are the alignment printouts of the before and after axle swap. I admit I don't know exactly what the numbers mean.

BEFORE (original axle)

AFTER (new axle)
No expert but, you were almost better off the way it was before as far as camber go's .First print out your toe is way off ( tire wear abnormal )
And very low castor ( flighty steering )
New print out , toe is way better and castor is better. I would be curious how they raised the castor without having Adj control arms ?camber on these JK's are off some right from the factory. Good luck man...

·
Registered
692 Posts
IMO-you're better off with the newer readings than the old as Caster, SAI, & Included Angles are much more acceptable.

The more positive Caster in the second sheet is definitely preferable, but really, neither sheets readings should produce any noticeable tire wear or adverse handling issues.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IMO-you're better off with the newer readings than the old as Caster, SAI, & Included Angles are much more acceptable.

The more positive Caster in the second sheet is definitely preferable, but really, neither sheets readings should produce any noticeable tire wear or adverse handling issues.
Thanks! It drives and handles great, did with the original axle. Just had a little uneven wear on the inside of the treads and a very slight pull to the left. The pull is now gone. The dealer wants it to be right (in spec), and since it's warranty, so do I.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE:
Dealer called this morning and advised that Chrysler/Jeep Engineering has approved installing offset ball joints via warranty to get the alignment in spec. Dealer is ordering them from Moog.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Frankly a lot of this discussion is a bit over my head, but WOW, what an outstanding dealer. I have yet to have to use mine for any warranty issues but I now know what I will expect. Hope the offset joints do the trick. :cool:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Final Update:
So this past week my dealer installed the offset ball joints and all readings are now in the "green". All is good and to celebrate I put some bigger tires on :happyyes:

:iamhappy:

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
what size tires are those? dont expect those offset balljoints (or any OEM JK balljoint) to last very long.

great to hear a good story about a dealer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts