Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm heading out tomm to view an unused 2014 OEM premium twill soft top. It's still in the boxes and the top is still wrapped up..Never used.

I'm just wondering if there are certain things I should do with it while assessing it. I'm definitely going to unroll it check for any cuts etc. Are there things to assess on the material (I know to look for black diamond on inside material for premium). How about zippers, windows, frame, frame motion..Anything you can suggest.

It also comes with all the mounting materials so I'll make sure I get all of those.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Al

·
Super Moderator
22,081 Posts
make sure you grab the mounts that are attached to the original wranglers roll bar there will be two brackets one on left and one right on the back of roll bar. If the top is wrapped up it has not been undone as you can not get the wrap back on once you take it off. If the wrap does not shows signs of damage the top will be fine.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Open the boxes up. There should be 2. One will contain the rear and back sides windows. The other should contain the door surrounds and the rear window bar channels and the knobbed bolts. The rear window bar is usually wrapped with the soft top on a factory dual top group. If it has been opened then the rear windoe bar is loose and you will need it.

Bob K.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Not the best timing for the soft top but hopefully you live in a place where you can use it now. I cant.
I have a 13 premium soft top and I love it. Its well designed. As they said, if the boxes dont show damage you are probably good. Read instructions for care and storage. Its a great mod. You make me miss summer.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the great advice. Had a look at the top today and it is in great shape. All pieces there.

So answer me this. As I understand if you buy a Oem soft top that has the black diamond material on the inside it can be assumed to be the premium product right. I mean there is none of the Oem units that come with the black diamond material other than the 4 ply premium right?

·
Registered
720 Posts
I believe so. They are also much thicker like a soft denim.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
There's no way to confuse the two, the premium top isn't vinyl, both look and feel are completely different.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Sorry to thread jack. Will it hurt anything to leave the soft top brand new in the box for an extended period of time? My premium top has been new in the box since I bought my Jeep over a year ago. I have no plans to install it anytime soon.

·
Super Moderator
22,081 Posts
Sorry to thread jack. Will it hurt anything to leave the soft top brand new in the box for an extended period of time? My premium top has been new in the box since I bought my Jeep over a year ago. I have no plans to install it anytime soon.
not as long as it is stored in a dry location and free from rodents.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Not the best timing for the soft top but hopefully you live in a place where you can use it now.
I only have a soft top. Never had the desire for a hard top.
Had a soft top on the old TJ also and this premium top blows away the old sailcloth. The Harp tops I've been in a not much quieter than the new top.
Hard windows would be nice for running through a car wash instead of doing it by hand.

·
Registered
576 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts