Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to regear my stock 3.21 unlimited Sahara to at least a 4.88 as my 35s and 140lbs of New bumpers is running me at 12mpg in 4 gears only (manual) and with absolutely NO power whatsoever. However, the are no tags or ID info on my differentials. Neither the shop doing the work nor my dealer shop can figure it out. They can't order the parts without knowing this info. Anyone know anything more that a 44dana in the back and a 35 in front? Help, this beast is NOT drivable.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Need to regear my stock 3.21 unlimited Sahara to at least a 4.88 as my 35s and 140lbs of New bumpers is running me at 12mpg in 4 gears only (manual) and with absolutely NO power whatsoever. However, the are no tags or ID info on my differentials. Neither the shop doing the work nor my dealer shop can figure it out. They can't order the parts without knowing this info. Anyone know anything more that a 44dana in the back and a 35 in front? Help, this beast is NOT drivable.
There's a mopar website you can enter your vin in and it will tell you what gears you have.Some one else might chime in with that. Chances are good though you have 3:21s. Your dealership should be able to punch in your vin and tell you to.you will need a new front carrier going to a lower gear ( higher numerically ) If infect you have 3:21s now.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Dana 44 rear, Dana 30 front. You say 3.21 gears. If the shop nor the dealer can figure it out you need to find another place to go. They do not have a clue about your '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.

Bob K.

·
Registered
907 Posts
dana 44 rear, dana 30 front. You say 3.21 gears. If the shop nor the dealer can figure it out you need to find another place to go. They do not have a clue about your '14 jeep wrangler unlimited.

Bob k.
x2^

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there anything else to know besides 3.21 and dana 44 back 30 front? Something about pins or specific cog size? I gave them my VIN already.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Honestly if the shop that you are going to have do the work can't tell you what gears you have now, I'd be looking for a different shop.pull diff cover count gear teeth. That's one way. Jack up front tire mark a line on DS, make a mark on tire,spin tire two full revolutions, count DS revolutions.3.25 to 3.50 DS revs would
Be 3:21s . Just shy of 4 revs would be 3:73s.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Dana, in their infinite wisdom, removed the build of material stamp/tags from the diffs. I actually found my BOM number on my front D30 on a paper sticker! What you really need to know, is that your ordering the gears for a JK. The ring gear is thicker than older, standard D44s and D30s. Here's a link to Dana's (spicer) replacement ring and pinions by application (for D44s) when you don't know the BOM. The only other thing you have to watch is if your adding lockers. The JK ring gears are tapped for 1/2" bolts, detroit trutracs, for instance are drilled for 3/8" and 7/16" bolts. Contrary to popular belief, the trutracs are HARD, and can't be re drilled easily, so the appropriate gear set must be ordered. http://www.spicerparts.com/sites/default/files/pdf/x5311-82013.pdf
Info for the D30 can be found on spicer's website, but you have to dig a bit. Send be a pm if you can't find it, I'll help you out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts