Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody could someone point me in the right direction. I am looking for a skid plate kit for my 2dr jk. I see that there is a lot of skid plates out there but does anyone make a full kit? Thanks everybody.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Hmmmmm. So what would this setup be missing other than diffs and LCAs? Also found Synergy HD set which is a tad spendy too lol. I am skid shopping so I am fully armored in style when I arrive at the mall! A little leery of mix and match from different vendors in case the parts dont play well together.

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts
Rock Hard 4x4 also makes a set of 3 complementary skid plates. Available in 3/16 steel or 1/4 aluminum. I have the steel set on my JKU.

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts
Hmmmmm. So what would this setup be missing other than diffs and LCAs? Also found Synergy HD set which is a tad spendy too lol. I am skid shopping so I am fully armored in style when I arrive at the mall! A little leery of mix and match from different vendors in case the parts dont play well together.
For the Rubicon, look at protecting the sway bar disconnect motor ($1,600 to replace.) There are cheap ($10) kits to rotate it but that only buys you like another 1/2" of clearance. A skid plate protects it.

Also the fuel evaporator canister in the back. About $150 to replace on a 2014. Plenty of relocation and protection kits available for that one.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
I will check out Rockhard and hunt a swaybar motor skid. The RiverRaider has an option to include the Evap skid so I would do that.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'm running the Rock Hard engine/tranny skid, not the system shown above. I'm very happy with it. It's the RH-6043 I think. I got the steel version. It compliments the factory skids quite nicely and offers real protection for the engine and transmission as well as the cats.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I'm running the Rock Hard engine/tranny skid, not the system shown above. I'm very happy with it. It's the RH-6043 I think. I got the steel version. It compliments the factory skids quite nicely and offers real protection for the engine and transmission as well as the cats.
What years is tour wrangler? I could be wrong but from pictures I have seen it does not look like it covers the catalytic converters on the 2012 and up.

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts
What years is tour wrangler? I could be wrong but from pictures I have seen it does not look like it covers the catalytic converters on the 2012 and up.
The PentaStar cats are closer to the engine, so there's nothing to cover for 2012+

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
His profile says it is a 2013 limo.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I dont have the full skid system but I do have the oil pan/transmission from river raider and I can say its a quality skid. Fit well, no rattles, bashed it off a few ruts and rocks and its held up just fine. Really, thats all I can ask of a skid :)

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have a 2014 JK Rubicon Unlimited. Can't update my profile on the iPhone app apparently.

The PentaStar cats are closer to the engine, so there's nothing to cover for 2012+
They are not that close, and the Rock Hard does in fact cover them. If you look at the attached pic, there are cats to the left and right of the tranny. The drivers side closer to the cross member and the passenger side closer to the front of the transmission. The RH skid covers both. If needed I can take a pic under my Jeep tomorrow when there I light.

His profile says it is a 2013 limo.
2014. Can't update profile on iPhone app. Haven't bothered logging in on comp for awhile.

Now MommyM, this whole 'limo' thing isn't because you have a 2 door now and are getting all '2-door-real-Jeep-elitist' are you? I would think not, but just checking. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just so ya know, the 2014s come with an evap skid. I didnt realize until after i had ordered one that there was one on there! Also some evap skids only fit the 4 door models (i dont know why)

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts
The evap "skid" on the 2014 is flimsy. I skidded mine (Poison Spyder)

·
Registered
796 Posts
Rock Hard 4x4 also makes a set of 3 complementary skid plates. Available in 3/16 steel or 1/4 aluminum. I have the steel set on my JKU.

I'm pretty sure that 4" wide plate is a spacer plate that goes on the other side of those plates and prevents an exhaust rattle…

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts
I'm pretty sure that 4" wide plate is a spacer plate that goes on the other side of those plates and prevents an exhaust rattle…
I have those plates. That lil' wing was designed for the 3.8's cats. On the 3.6 it's not protecting much but contributes to rigidity.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts