Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new user and new Jeep owner ( So be patient w me :) I have done a lot of recent mods including the subwoofer replacement with Polyphill and the sound bar with new speakers and polyphill. I am stuck on the tweeters. I have the pop up tower tweeters and I see that the MOD is highly pushed on here because its 2.00. I want to replace this speaker. I am looking for a thread that shows replacing that speaker, what people have used, plug and play and what fits flush? Can someone point me in the right direction? I will not do the mod so throw that out the window.

Thanks for any help!:pcwhack:

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I think people have used the Alpine SPS-110TW. IIRC, it's not a direct replacement - it takes some modification to install them. Search on "Alpine SPS-110TW" and you should find more info.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I think people have used the Alpine SPS-110TW. IIRC, it's not a direct replacement - it takes some modification to install them. Search on "Alpine SPS-110TW" and you should find more info.
^^ That's the one I used on my '14. I removed the OEM tweeters, and fit the replacements behind the stock grille, into the tombstones. Looks factory, sounded much better.

Note: the capacitors/crossovers that came with the new Alpine tweeters were much larger than I was expecting, but I just dropped them behind the dash, and they were fine.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Do you have a photo of this? Do you have the flush round speaker ports or the tall satelite tweeters that sit up? Do you have to remove the dash to do this?
I don't have any pics, but it looked exactly like your tweeters. I have a '16 now, with the redesigned system (and flush mount 3½" full range speakers).

You don't need to take the dash apart- just get a plastic pry tool, and remove the front plate/grille of the OEM tweeter. Pull out some of the speaker wire, connect to new tweeter, and fasten the new tweeter to the same grille, and seat back onto the tombstone.

It takes some fiddling to secure the new tweeters to the grille- I found the included installation kit wasn't much help. I think I ended up using some rubber glue/epoxy on the frame to secure it to the grille.

Huge improvement in sound, and worth the cost and effort.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Those are the alpine tweeters that I used. I liked the look of the new tweeters, so I enlarged the hole in the tombstones and fit the new tweeters in. Sounds much better.
Is that all you need to do to install the Alpine SPS-110TW tweeters, just enlarge the holes? Also, does the 'Alpine' badge come installed on the new tweeter grilles? I'd rather not have the badges.

·
Premium Member
17,007 Posts
Just a quick question, why is the tweeter mod a no go for you?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Need help w tweeter install

Ok dont laugh... How the heck do you get the factory tweeter to release the clip? I have managed to replace all speakers with ease and I cannot see how to get this to release from the housing. Also do I need to use new connections or do I have to cut the clip off and tie the wires into the tweeter? Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a quick question, why is the tweeter mod a no go for you?
The tweeter mod is a no go for me because the tweeters are so cheap and the ones that are in the jeep are so horrible, thin and one dimensional it really doesnt make sense not to put in a nicer tweeter that can handle and amp etc for future upgrades. I think the mod is an awesome tip though!

·
Premium Member
17,007 Posts
The tweeter mod is a no go for me because the tweeters are so cheap and the ones that are in the jeep are so horrible, thin and one dimensional it really doesnt make sense not to put in a nicer tweeter that can handle and amp etc for future upgrades. I think the mod is an awesome tip though!
Well it sounds like you are past the point of trying it anyways, but the factory tweeters are quite good, they are a 1" cloth dome just like the aftermarket tweeters most people install. They are just crossed over at the wrong freq with a crappy filter, which is what the mod fixes. The mod is pushed because it works so well, and the bonus is, it is only $2. :beerdrinking:

That said, I agree that decent tweeters are cheap enough. You will need to cut off the connector and splice in the crossover before the aftermarket tweeter. And there might be some amount of fabrication to get them installed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.