Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have pictures of what they look like in vehicle? I've seen the sub (which doesn't exist in the base 8 package). I'm not as familiar with what the mounting/etc. looks like with the base 8 package and the Alpine 9 package. Both dash and soundbar.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw that video - that's why I'm intrigued to buy them. I was hoping for pictures that show what the base set looks like installed -vs- what the upgraded set looks like installed.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I saw that video - that's why I'm intrigued to buy them. I was hoping for pictures that show what the base set looks like installed -vs- what the upgraded set looks like installed.

No real difference as far as I know. The dash top speakers will say Alpine. I take delivery of mine tomorrow so if you want a specific pic let me know.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I verified that the dash and sound bar look identical whether you have the base speaker package or the upgrade. Not a huge surprise, but good to verify. Those speakers are upgraded, but fit into exactly the same housings/etc.

What's new is obviously the subwoofer.

Opinion question for you... Is the improved sound worth losing the storage space in lieu of the subwoofer?

·
Registered
430 Posts
I verified that the dash and sound bar look identical whether you have the base speaker package or the upgrade. Not a huge surprise, but good to verify. Those speakers are upgraded, but fit into exactly the same housings/etc.

What's new is obviously the subwoofer.

Opinion question for you... Is the improved sound worth losing the storage space in lieu of the subwoofer?
You don't lose storage space, since the subwoofer in the cargo floor can be covered with stuff and still sound great. I have a folding table covering the subwoofer in my JKUR and that bass is still thumping. If you're worried about possible damage, get a cargo slush mat that covers the subwoofer.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
You do lose space. Without the sub you get a storage bin in place of it. Worthwhile trade off though. I love the sound system.

·
Registered
621 Posts
You do lose space. Without the sub you get a storage bin in place of it. Worthwhile trade off though. I love the sound system.
This is not even a question. You lose storage space equivalent to what, maybe a glove compartment? No contest, I'll take the sub thanks.

I can see thinking hard about the extra $$$ for the Alpine and whether it's worth the added expense, but losing that little bit of storage space shouldn't even be a consideration. Now that subwoofer box in the '14's and earlier, that was really intrusive and ate up usable space in the rear cargo area, but the new design is about as out of the way as it could be.

Look at it this way...is it a storage compartment that they decided to stick a subwoofer in, or a subwoofer enclosure that you can use for storage if you don't get the sub? I think the latter.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I stand corrected you lose a tiny bit of cargo floor storage space. Space that you probably will not miss because your body will be vibrating to the awesome bass in your music.

It is a pretty great trade off. :)

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
This is not even a question. You lose storage space equivalent to what, maybe a glove compartment? No contest, I'll take the sub thanks.

I can see thinking hard about the extra $$$ for the Alpine and whether it's worth the added expense, but losing that little bit of storage space shouldn't even be a consideration. Now that subwoofer box in the '14's and earlier, that was really intrusive and ate up usable space in the rear cargo area, but the new design is about as out of the way as it could be.

Look at it this way...is it a storage compartment that they decided to stick a subwoofer in, or a subwoofer enclosure that you can use for storage if you don't get the sub? I think the latter.

Dude I got the Alpine system and have no regrets, it sounds fantastic. But given how little storage Jeeps offer (especially a 2 door), the storage space is nice to have. It's enough to store a small tool kit or recovery strap. But the Alpine system is great so I'll just keep that stuff in a duffle for when I need it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I got the Alpine Premium upgrade. It's awesome. I had plans of putting in an entire aftermarket system; but once I heard the premium, I decided to use that money for something else. It really does sound incredible compared to the older models. I test drove a 2014 and then my 2015--there was absolutely no comparison. I would definitely go with the premium again.

If you throw in a layer of dynamat and the Mopar headline, it sounds even better.

Just my opinion.

Strick
2015 JKUR Anvil

·
Registered
344 Posts
Wow. That was a great sales/marketing video. I'm one of those who usually go after market - seriously considering "not" this time after seeing the YouTube clip.

·
Registered
621 Posts
To tell the truth, I didn't listen to either system before I placed my order. I ordered the Alpine upgrade based solely on the rave reviews it's getting here on the forum. I haven't heard a single negative comment about it and even a few die-hard audiophiles say they're keeping it stock, no need to aftermarket. If the reviews were mixed I'd have misgivings, but the comments are so overwhelmingly positive that I think it's a safe bet.

My previous jeep had a great aftermarket system installed by the PO, and my wife in particular likes to really crank it when we're out riding. She balked a little bit at the overall price of the new jeep but didn't question for a second the Alpine upgrade :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am really regretting now getting the upgrade at purchase. How much would it cost to install if I brought the Jeep in for the upgrade? I've only had three weeks

·
Registered
223 Posts
I am really regretting now getting the upgrade at purchase. How much would it cost to install if I brought the Jeep in for the upgrade? I've only had three weeks
I just ordered my 2015 jeep, and my last jeep had the premium upgrade but it was a 2012 and the sound was crap. Thus, I opted out of the new premium system for the 15, but I am thinking what it would cost to get it added after the purchase as well.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I have to imagine the cost will be substantial. With an amp being involved the main harness is probably different, new speakers, new sound bar, etc.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I'm not sure if they can even do it. When I went in for a test drive there was a Tank Willys on the lot that was EXACTLY what I wanted...except for the Alpines. 6-speed, half doors, the right color and everything. But I really wanted the Alpines, so I asked if they could install it....if they could, I likely would have signed the papers on the spot. He checked with the shop and they said no can do....I don't know if they just didn't want to mess with it or the cost of the labor would have been prohibitive or what. For whatever reason they wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I'm not sure if they can even do it. When I went in for a test drive there was a Tank Willys on the lot that was EXACTLY what I wanted...except for the Alpines. 6-speed, half doors, the right color and everything. But I really wanted the Alpines, so I asked if they could install it....if they could, I likely would have signed the papers on the spot. He checked with the shop and they said no can do....I don't know if they just didn't want to mess with it or the cost of the labor would have been prohibitive or what. For whatever reason they wouldn't do it.
I'm glad you chimed in on this, I remembered your story, but couldn't remember who it was.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts