Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, taking the time to get going on a build thread. This Jeep is my fiance's daily driver that I get to play with when I'm not working on my truck. We had a rough intro to the Jeep life, but it all worked out in the end.

I'll start off with my intro post HERE

Followed by the trials and tribulations of our ever so briefly owned '12 Sahara, HERE

So that leaves us here and now with our fresh 2015 base model JK 2 door soft top, complete with 16" pizza cutter wheels and tires.

While quite possibly the best gas mileage one could expect from a Jeep, the overall look left it feeling neutered. That won't do.

So enter some Rubicon take-off suspension from your friendly neighborhood Craigslist. The install didn't take very long and gave the Jeep a pleasant dose of testosterone. I went from stock 14/55 springs to 17/59, with the Red Rubicon shocks. Based on my measurements from center-ish of hub to fender I netted 1.5" of lift all around. First impressions, the height is right, but it's stiff. Coming from my TRD Baja suspension in my truck (basically custom valved Bilstein 9100's with Eibach 650lb springs in front, and Bilstein 5160's with an Icon 3 leaf AAL in rear), it's very rough. I forsee some 5100's or Rancho 9000's in our future.

It was still looking rather dorky with the extra height on those little wheels. Reminding me of a larger lady attempting to wear platform heels. No, I will not post pics, of the Jeep or the lady in heels. That would be doing them both a disservice. Fortunately I had a plan.

Fast forward to later that day when my friend's at Firestone installed a set of Quadratec Moab Style Wheels in Black along with black lugnuts and locks. Quadratec was excellent to work with on this forum when I placed my order! Wrapping up the package are a set of 285/70/17 BFG AT KO2 tires. I've been running these on my Tacoma for over the last 6 months and am nothing but pleased with them. Now for the pics!

She's lovin' it now!

Up next is a set of Barricade sliders so she can actually step into the vehicle rather than climb/claw her way into the seat and a shorty antenna. Big thanks to ExtremeTerrain for the help with that order! Pics to come.

The Mod List

Interior:
OEM Mopar Slush Mats
Alpha Vinyl Door Sill Guards
Dog Hair and Woman Hair (free)

Exterior:
Red Rock Shorty Antenna
Barricade Rock Sliders
Home Depot Plumbing Aisle Spare Tire Bump Extensions

Suspension/Wheels/Tires:
Rubicon Shocks
Rubicon 17/59 Springs
Quadratec Black Moab Style 17x8.5 Rims
285/70/17 BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2

That's all for now, thanks for looking!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
This is great. I visited the thread for the build and stayed for the narrative and humor. Your jeep looks sharp. I'm coming to terms with the ideas that my 35's and 315s are not in my future for a variety of reasons to include my 3.21 gearing. I like those wheels and tires. Have any thoughts how the TF Premium leveling springs would have done in comparison to the rubicon springs? I'm looking at the TF Premium leveling kit + ranchos + 33's as my future path.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone!

This is great. I visited the thread for the build and stayed for the narrative and humor. Your jeep looks sharp. I'm coming to terms with the ideas that my 35's and 315s are not in my future for a variety of reasons to include my 3.21 gearing. I like those wheels and tires. Have any thoughts how the TF Premium leveling springs would have done in comparison to the rubicon springs? I'm looking at the TF Premium leveling kit + ranchos + 33's as my future path.

Thanks man, I don't have any experience with the leveling springs so I'm not sure what kind of height they'll give you. I haven't researched them.

Nice color, is that Indian Trail Jeep in the first photo?
Yup, sure is.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't realize I couldn't go back and edit my original post so it looks like with each new addition I'll update the mod list...

The Mod List

Interior:
OEM Mopar Slush Mats

Exterior:
OEM Mopar Black Jeep Emblem
OEM Mopar Fuel Door
Red Rock Shorty Antenna
Barricade Rock Sliders
Plasti-dipped Headlight Surrounds Black

Suspension/Wheels/Tires:
Rubicon Shocks
Rubicon 17/59 Springs

Now that's out of the way... new pics!

Installed the Barricade Rock Sliders the other day along with the Red Rock Antenna.

The Tacoma is looking jealous in the background :whistling:

I couldn't get the washers to fit through the holes Barricade made in the sliders. You'd think when they make these they'd give you at least 1/8" extra to account for powder coat. So I had to take out the grinder and shave a little off each washer to make it happen. Other members said they just beat them in with a mallet. I didn't think to try that. I guess I was just too excited to use my grinder. For the antenna, the metal adapter part that screws into the Jeep was stubborn and wouldn't go much leaving me with a gap. Again, the people that design these failed to consider the need to tighten it down with a wrench so out came the vice grips. I only used the vice grips on the round metal part of the adapter, not the black rubber/plastic portion. That did the trick in closing the gap.

All done. Here's a pic after I blacked out the metal rings surround the headlights.

The mod I'm most proud of, I fixed the damn whistle made by the driver's side mirror. This was driving me nuts. I used a piece of heat shrink tubing and wedged it in the gap while the mirror was folded in making the gap larger, then hit it with the heat gun real quick.

No. More. Whistle.

If I ever fold the mirror in it might fall out, but it's nothing to redo and you can hardly tell it's there.

I ordered a Mopar fuel door and OEM black Jeep emblem for the front grill that should be in on Friday. After that I keep telling myself I'll take a break for a while, we'll see.

·
Registered
174 Posts
That is a great looking Jeep! In your first post you said that the ride is stiff. Is that because of the new springs? If so, how much did the springs effect it?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! It's livable but not what I really want out of it. I think it's more in the shocks honestly. I know the springs are stiffer, and contribute, but eventually I'll be looking into running a better shock that is more compliant over bumps. By comparison, my truck rides smooth as hell. The more speed I carry the smoother it responds. I can glide over modest speedbumps or washboard gravel roads with little disturbance in comfort. Where as in the Jeep, we went over a big cross walk speedbump the other day and it about threw me out of the seat.

To compare Jeep to Jeep, the '12 Sahara we had briefly before this was on stock springs with Rancho 7000's and rode much smoother and was less jarring over uneven surfaces.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Mod List

Interior:

OEM Mopar Slush Mats

Exterior:
OEM Mopar Black Jeep Emblem
OEM Mopar Fuel Door
Red Rock Shorty Antenna
Barricade Rock Sliders
Plasti-dipped Headlight Surrounds Black
Barricade (Mor/Ryde) Heavy Duty Tailgate Hinges

Suspension/Wheels/Tires:
Rubicon Shocks
Rubicon 17/59 Springs
Calibrated with AEV Procal

Quick Pics!

Here's a rear shot with the new Barricade HD tailgate hinges installed. That's not the Jeep leaning, it's the driveway.

The front with the new emblem installed and blacked out headlight rings

The new gas door cover

I also picked up an AEV Procal to recalibrate the speedo and lower the TPMS threshold. Worked like a charm and was extremely simple to operate. Now the speedo is GPS verified dead accurate. I also lowered tire pressures down to 32psi cold and the ride has improved.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Nice.... I really like the JKU's but in my mind that is the perfect look for a 2 door. Right height, right tire size and love the color. Might have to look at the BFG's for my next set of tires.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looks great. Tell me, and this may sound silly, but when I search those T/A KO2's online it looks like it has white print on the sidewalls and not blacked out. Did you do that, or does it really not show up that way?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks! One side of the KO2's are white letters, the other is black letter. When you mount them to the rims you can have it done whichever way you prefer.

So with mine, I have the white letters on the inside so the blacks are facing out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks! One side of the KO2's are white letters, the other is black letter. When you mount them to the rims you can have it done whichever way you prefer.

So with mine, I have the white letters on the inside so the blacks are facing out.
Looks great! Well done.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts