Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you to everyone for all of the information on the forum--I must have read this 100 times before settling on my new 2015 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon in Billet Silver. I've attached a photo from when I brought it home (had already taken the front panels of the freedom top off).

Most of my driving will be on pavement, but I expect to get out once every couple months on some easier trails around Arizona. I am planning to make a few modifications to customize the Jeep. First on the list are:

Jeep 10th Anniversary bumpers front and rear
Warn M-8000 winch
Tow Hitch
Rugged Ridge hood latches
Rugged Ridge gas cap door

I take the Jeep in to the shop on Monday for the installation and will post some pictures when it's done.

Next on the list will be to investigate a lift. I would like to do something that will allow me to keep the stock Rubicon wheels and tires for now, but allow me to go slightly larger with the wheels and tires in the future. I've read that some people recommend the Teraflex performance 1.5" coil lift. The main think I'd like to get rid of is the rake. The guy at the shop was recommending the AEV 2.5" lift, but I am a little worried that the stock rims and tires will look too small with the 2.5" lift. I know the new bumpers and winch will add some weight, so I'm planning to see what it looks like with these additions and then take the next step. If anyone has any photos of a 2.5" lift with stick Rubicon wheels and tires or the Terflex 1.5" coil lift I would love to see them. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,540 Posts
I think the 1.5 is very workable on stock tires and then it still looks awesome if you go up to 285/70-17 which is a 33 down the road. I prefer the RK springs and you can do the RK 1.5 stock mod and then add shocks and bump stops.

Here is my 2.5 on stock size tires while I wait for wheels to arrive:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finally decided on the next set of upgrades. Initially I wanted to keep the stock Rubicon wheels and tires, but after researching things on the forum and getting off road a few times, I decided I want to go with more than just a leveling kit and I don't want to use spacers. So today I ordered the wheels, tires, lift and tire carrier. I decided on the AEV 2.5" lift, AEV Salta matte black wheels, 35x12.5x17 Toyo Open Country R/T tires and the AEV tire carrier and bracket for the pull pal/jack. Sounds like AEV is a little backed up, so its probably a month until everything comes in and I can get the work done. I'll post photos once the work is done.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Nice...
I have the AEV 2.5" and I love it. I also installed the TeraFlex Monster ADJ Front Trac Bar

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lift, Wheels and Tires

I got it back from the shop last night and am very happy with how it turned out.

When I placed the order for the Salta wheels, he said the Savegre's may be available about the same time. I told him if it was close I would wait a little bit for the Savegre's. Turns out that's what happened.

The bracket for the pull pal/Hi Lift jack was back ordered, so I'll be getting that put on later.

I haven't had it off-road yet, but so far on pavement I love the Toyo Open Country R/T tires and the AEV lift. The suspension feels better than stock and the difference between these tires and the stock M/T's on pavement is like night and day.

Next I need to work on getting either nerf bars or rock sliders. Kids and wife will have a hard time getting in. I also forgot about the 3rd brake light not fitting with the new 35" tires, so I need to figure that out soon too.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the Hi-Lift Jack/Pull Pal mount installed and then purchased the Hi-Lift Jack. I've taken it off road a couple times now and like the way the lift and tires performed on rocky trails. And I quickly discovered the need for something to stop the jack from rattling, so picked up a cheap spacer on Amazon to take care of that. Also added the AntennaX 13" antenna and haven't noticed any decrease in reception. Also purchased the rear seat spacer kit from Warpig to adjust the angle of the rear seat and will be installing that soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ordered the Warpig seat spacers a while back and finally got around to installing them. These are a newer version than the ones I originally looked at. The spacers are thinner so you can decide how many to install and are now black to match the seat brackets. Took about 1.5 hours total and was relatively straightforward. Definitely need a breaker bar to get the bolts loose. I added two spacers to each of the three back brackets and three spacers to each of the four front brackets. The kids think its a big improvement. Only possible negative is that the seats now encroach a little more into the cargo area.

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
I ordered the Warpig seat spacers a while back and finally got around to installing them. These are a newer version than the ones I originally looked at. The spacers are thinner so you can decide how many to install and are now black to match the seat brackets. Took about 1.5 hours total and was relatively straightforward. Definitely need a breaker bar to get the bolts loose. I added two spacers to each of the three back brackets and three spacers to each of the four front brackets. The kids think its a big improvement. Only possible negative is that the seats now encroach a little more into the cargo area.
jeep is coming along really nice!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been meaning to trim the rubicon rails ever since getting the lift. With the nudge from Drgaius, I spend a couple hours in the garage this week working on that. Pretty straightforward to do--bolts come out easy to remove the rail, cut them with sawzall, then a little degreaser to clean it up, couple coats of Rustoleum spray paint on the ends, then some epoxy to keep the caps in. I ended up taking about 1 inch off which made them about even with the seam.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I made some progress on a couple more upgrades this week.

The barricade rock rails are now installed. I had them installed with the factory Rubicon rails in place, which serves to conceal the seam, but also encroaches into the area where you step to get into the Jeep which was part of what I was trying to accomplish for the wife and kids. Works Ok for the kids with smaller feet, but is not as helpful for adults.

One of my pet peeves has been how hard it is to see out the back with the larger spare tire mounted. I splurged on the AEV CHMSL/rear view camera set up which turned out great. I don't have the factory NAV, so I went with the version that has the display within a new rear view mirror. The display is small, but it has a really sharp picture. This also solved the need for a CHMSL.

Also added a light in back on top of the metal arm that rises above the spare tire. That area looks unfinished without something there, so I added a Rigid diffused light. Hooked it up through a switch so that it doesn't come on every time I back up and can be turned on if needed separately from the back up lights.

I have a few more things on the list to do and will hopefully get to those over the next few months.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Opar Grab Bars

I added the Opar grab bars this weekend. I had read plenty of reviews discussing the differences between the Opar and GraBar versions and ultimately decided on these because they sounded much easier to install. Only took about 30 minutes to get both of them in.

I didn't mind the "Wild Boar" imprint on the rubber handle, but when my wife tried them out her comment was "Wild Boar?.....so you think I need these because I'm a pig?" Just FYI for anyone else that is getting these for their wife's benefit.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hard top cart/dolly

I saw the idea for this cart/dolly to store the hard top on WF yesterday and bought the supplies. Only took an hour or so to put it together. It really does save a lot of space and makes it much easier to move the top when it's stored.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts