Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Can't wait to see a pic of those tires on. Looking good
Thanks, me too!!! All these delays are making me nuts!

The lift should finally be here tomorrow, but then I'm going to paint it & also waiting on a Synergy Grade 8 bolt kit to arrive.

It's going to be 118F in crazy Arizona this weekend anyway, so it better cool down by next weekend when I'm ready to get this JK jacked up already!

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
The lift will be worth the wait and yep, better wait out this weekend. Going to be toasty.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Finally got the lift, Synergy grade 8 kit, & tires & dropped it all off at 4 Wheeler's Supply in Phoenix. I was going to lift it myself but it's just too damn hot out here now to be rolling around in my driveway all weekend.

Had to check the OEM on their 23º RTI ramp.

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Lifted!!

Finally got'er lifted & it turned out awesome! Awesome work by 4 Wheeler's Supply, as always. Brought them a few CJ's & a couple trucks over the past 20 years & never had 1 complaint.

2.5 MetalCloak TrueDual with Fox shocks & I also bought the rear trackbar. Painted it all gloss black with POR-15, gave it a real nice hard coat.

The 34x10.50's are a tiny bit small, but I'm not going 35x12.50's. I don't need them & have no misconceptions about trying to turn this Willy's into the crawler that it isn't. It doesn't even have lockers. If I wanted all that I would've bought a Rubi. This is just my wife's daily that we'll be getting dirty on occasion with some light wheeling & AZ trails.

Fox ATS up next & probably some AMP Powersteps now that she can barley get in it, haha.

I'll post some more pix this weekend after it gets a bath.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
Nice work:thumb: Quite a transformation with the MC lift right?

-Steven

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Quite a transformation with the MC lift right?
-Steven
Sure is! It really smoothed out the ride. A little firmer, but soft & forgiving at the same time. It should seat in nice in a couple weeks around the time it's ready for retorque.

Surprisingly, there was this fairly constant Jeep squeak that is totally gone now. It was coming from the interior, but no more! Quite the unexpected bonus.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Not Quite Death Wobble

... it's alllllways something!!! :mad:

Turns out, right after it was lifted (as in ~20 miles later when first got on the freeway), I'm getting the ol' wobble effect, but not to the point of death.

Took it back & they jumped right on the drag link ends. Ever the skeptic since my teenage autoshop working days, I wasn't ready to drop another $350 on a Moog replacement.

Took it to the dealer who was surprisingly willing to inspect. Said it wasn't the DRE's, adjusted the steering box & sent me on my way. Steering is super tight & amazing, but still wobbling & running out of options.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Still Wobble

Replaced the drag link today but it didn't fix the wobble :facepalm:

I didn't get my hopes up though & expecting to replace the tie rod next if that didn't work. Then, steering knuckle ball joints if I have to. It can't be the wheel bearings since it happened exactly at the moment it was lifted. Everything else has already been ruled out.

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Replaced the tie rod today too & also had it laser aligned, but STILL getting wobble!!!

To date, I had the steering box adjusted by the dealer, replaced the drag link ends & tie rod ends myself, had the tires rebalanced & got a fancy alignment test. Trackbar is tight & the whole lift is on tight, but I'm running out of options. I do still need to go back for retorque, but I seriously doubt that's the issue.

Going to call MetalCloak again tomorrow, but they weren't able to help much before beyond the basics, so the only other thing are the knuckle ball joints. I really doubt its the wheel bearings since the wobble happened the instant the lift was installed, but there's not much else left to rule out.

I'm going to get a Fox ATS stabilizer, which will probably help a bunch but it won't solve the root cause. Only other option is road force balance. Frustrating!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Keep us informed on your progress. Hope you get her fixed up quickly.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
The Fox ATS is AWESOME! After I installed I took it back to DT for one last check on the balance. They said they were all way off by 4oz or more, but with one wheel at 2.5 :banghead: !! I can't believe what morons they are. That was my 3rd time having them balanced in as many weeks, including initial mount after the lift.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
AMP Research PowerStep

I scored these on Craigslist with only 2k miles & just installed them last week. Pretty nice & now my wife can get in, which is a good thing since it's her daily, ha.

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
did you ever get the wobble fixed? about to order my rk 2.5 flex system and im nervous for the same results
Yes, I finally did. It turned out to be Discount Tires fault. I will never understand how, but they screwed up the balance 4 times throughout the phases of my troubleshooting!!

I finally got a competent assistant manager who told me "they were all out 4oz or more except 1 at 2.5" & I about flipped! I was never going to get my wasted money back or the time I spent in 115+ AZ heat, so had to settle for the $112 refund (since I bought them somewhere else) & "near cost" on my next set.

If you do get wobble, check in this order of biggest bang for the least amount of bucks:

1. Get your tires re-balanced & have them write down the before & after (I will ALWAYS do this from now on!). Note: the more sidewall the less roadforce is worth it - eg: it's for cars
2. Check trackbar torque
3. Driveway ball joint test, better with 2 ppl
4. Check draglink & tie rod ends while doing the BJ test
5. Alignment - castor should be 4.5 to 5.5 & toe-in at 1/8th, camber doesn't cause wobble
6. Consider the stabilizer. Note: if the root cause isn't fixed, a new 1 will just mask it
7. Bent parts? If everything was fine before the lift, then you're running out of options & may have to recheck things

Find a decent installer & make sure they'll align it. Also ask up front how they'll help if you get wobble. Call reputable 4x4 shops. I've got a shop near me that'll figure out you're wobble for only $35, just wish I knew that before I threw my money away.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
JW Speakers

Went ahead & ordered the JW Speaker full set in black from one of our WF vendors. Can't stand driving the Jeep at night with those OEM bulbs that are about as bright as 2 Bic lighters. Should arrive in a few days.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.