Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't do a build thread on my last Jeep so I figured I'd start one for the latest member of our family.

When my wife brought it home my daughter said "One Jeep, Two Jeep, Red Jeep, Blue Jeep." The newest is a:
2015 2-door JK Sport
Soft Top
Auto Trans
17" wheels
3.21 Gears
Air Conditioning
Sat. Radio
And that's about it. Fairly bare bones. Very different from our 2013 Rubicon that's loaded with options and comfort. But the 2 door is sooo much fun to drive and we couldn't be happier to have both. This will be a slow build as my wife want's to mainly drive it around town and let our kids drive it when they earn their licenses.
So here's the beginning::

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First Mod - Hard Top

Found a brand new 2013 Freedom Hard Top on the web and drove for about 4 hours to go get it.

Now I have to install this to make it 'factory complete'...

I need to set aside a little time to get that wired in and then a trip to the dealer to add codes to the computer.. Stay tuned for that one..

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mopar Fuel Door

A simple add, but I think all Jeeps need this..
From this:

to this:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New Grill insert

I have this same one on my Rubi and still love it after 2 years of abuse. It's cheap, it's powder coated stainless steel, it's all one piece, and it's molded to fit nicely into the 7 slots. eBay special for only $49.95.
From this:

To this:

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
She's a beauty! ♥♥♥ the hydro! You should tell your wife we need more lady jeepers here on the forum! :wavey:

Congratulations!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you!
Started a few other mods tonight.. 4 new speakers, swapped out the 130s stereo for a 730n, added a mic for the new UConnect, and changed the steering wheel controls for the hands free feature.. It started with a request for hands free, but I figured if I'm adding UConnect, why not use the 730n where it's built in rather than adding another module (would have still had to get a new head unit) + I get Nav.. and while I'm adding a nicer head unit I should probably upgrade the speakers too.. So here I am in an upgrade frenzy just to add bluetooth hands-free.. Oh well. Seems to be how Jeep upgrades go...

My wife deserves some good Mothers Day tunes. :huglove:
I also got the USB extension but I'm being a little lazy and decided to put it in another time. I'm still debating where to put it. The easy spot, in the glove box, or (probably the right spot) in the center console..

·
Registered
27 Posts
You're doing exactly what I want to do to my Hydro Blue 2015 JK. I already have the Freedom hardtop. My radio is the 430 (no Uconnect, nav or Sirius) with the new 9-speaker Alpine. How hard was it to change out the steering wheel controls? I am eventually gonna get the 730N RHR, add the dual antenna (does both gps and satellite) outside "somewhere".

·
Registered
27 Posts
Oh, also, I already purchased the harness and rear camera. Just waiting to get the head unit, way after I get theses taxes and license fees paid.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Pbtman! I really like the 730n. I have the 430n w/Garmin in my Rubi and I really like that one too. The only reason I went with the 730 on this one was because the UConnect was already built in and I didn't have to buy the extra module and extra wiring harness. Buying a 430 with all the extra stuff required for hands-free seemed real close to the cost of a used 730n RHR.. seemed like a an easy choice.. Anyway, have fun. I PM'd you back as well.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Updated to the latest software and gracenotes versions on the 730N RHR..

If anyone else is looking for the latest updates to their RHR stereo I found a thread where a guy named Sox is a perfectly wonderful human being and has shared his .iso images for all to have. RHR Gracenotes Update (Sox comes through again!) - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum
If you scroll about half way down the thread you'll find the link to his server with his user name and password listed in RED. Log on, browse to the .iso image you need, download, burn image to disk, insert disk into MyGig, and wait for the stereo to tell you it's done. The thread talks about older versions of software but he's got the latest stuff on his server (older stuff too). As far as I can tell the latest version of RHR software is 2.600 and the latest version of Gracenotes for the RHR are 5411. 2 disks, done. Props to Sox!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally finished the hardtop install with the new wiper stalk, pump, and HVAC controls. Then had the dealer program the two codes for rear wiper and rear defrost into the computer.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,540 Posts
Good stuff! Coming right along. :beerdrinking:

·
Registered
791 Posts
How is the voice reception on the mic at the front corner? I installed a Pioneer HU this weekend and trying to figure out where to put my mic. Also - if a guy were to get the steering wheel controls without a Uconnect with aftermarket HU would the SWI pick those commands up?

Thanks for the thread. Love the blue (got it myself).

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How is the voice reception on the mic at the front corner? I installed a Pioneer HU this weekend and trying to figure out where to put my mic. Also - if a guy were to get the steering wheel controls without a Uconnect with aftermarket HU would the SWI pick those commands up?

Thanks for the thread. Love the blue (got it myself).
I placed the mic where I did based on someone else's recommendation and because it's just about where the factory one is located (I have the factory mic in that location in my '13 Rubi). To be honest, I think it works better than my stock one does.
Unsure on the Uconnect buttons working with aftermarket gear. If I had to guess I'd say probably not because I think the module speaks to the radio over the CAN bus and I'm not sure an after market stereo would do the same. But I'm not sure by any means.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Added some JW Speaker headlights. The stock headlights seem down right dangerous sometimes. Absolutely love these!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rubi Rock Rails

Added a pair of Rubicon rock rails. Bad pic, but it's pouring outside.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts