Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into upgrading to a 2015 willys wheeler w soon and I noticed that for 2015 jeep changed the standard radio from 7 to 8 speakers. Does anyone know if it's any good? I'd really like to avoid getting the alpine unit, trying to keep the cost low. I'm not that picky when it comes to sound, but I've heard the previous standard speakers weren't too good. Thanks~Matthew

·
Registered
143 Posts
Go Alpine. Unless you plan on doing aftermarket upgrades. The stock system sounds rough especially with the top down. For me it was one of the few options I ordered.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I ordered the Alpine upgrade sight unseen....or I guess that would be sound unheard. Didn't even listen to either system before I ordered, just based on the Forum consensus that the reengineered 2015 Alpine is light years better than the 2014 offering. Reviews were so overwhelmingly positive that I doubt anyone but the most finicky audiophiles would knock it. Guess I'll find out if the consensus was right when it arrives in a couple of weeks, but seems like a safe bet.

Search the Forum, there are several threads about the 2015 Alpine system.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I ordered the Alpine upgrade sight unseen....or I guess that would be sound unheard. Didn't even listen to either system before I ordered, just based on the Forum consensus that the reengineered 2015 Alpine is light years better than the 2014 offering. Reviews were so overwhelmingly positive that I doubt anyone but the most finicky audiophiles would knock it. Guess I'll find out if the consensus was right when it arrives in a couple of weeks, but seems like a safe bet. Search the Forum, there are several threads about the 2015 Alpine system.
heck maybe it's my older ears but I think the 2014 alpine is great. I never understood I'll the bad reviews. Of coarse I've never owned a luxury car either so I'm sure what you came from factors into it. I've been driving wranglers for the last 20 years.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
I'm looking into upgrading to a 2015 willys wheeler w soon and I noticed that for 2015 jeep changed the standard radio from 7 to 8 speakers.
It actually went from 6 to 8; adding two more into the sound bar.

The Alpine option makes those speakers better, then adds a sub plus a 46W/ch amp.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm actually more interested in the standard system. The exact vehicle i'm looking at is a 2 door and doesn't have the alpine. Would it matter as much for a 2 door since there is less area? Maybe I'm just thinking out loud, haha. I'm coming from a super basic 2012 patriot, it only has 4 speakers and I think it sounds pretty good, definitely better than my brother's frontier. I guess my main question Is if the new standard setup is equal or near equal to a regular car? In the end it's not a real big deal, because I'm so ready to get out of this patriot, I just can't stand the way it drives and I really need 4x4.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I decided to forego the Nav and went with the Alpine system. 130 with Unconnect. I can use my phone for Nav. I think it was a decent compromise.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 2015 Willy's and I just went with the stock radio. I like it just fine. I can't see upgrading when for six months of the year the top is down and the wind is rushing by your head. To each his own but the base radio works and sounds fine if your not too picky. I would go with the standard radio and upgrade if it's not for you.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I decided to forego the Nav and went with the Alpine system. 130 with Unconnect. I can use my phone for Nav. I think it was a decent compromise.

That's exactly what I did. I was going to get the 430 touch screen unit but it really didn't offer many features (at least features that I was interested in) over the 130 system. It just looks cooler.

I'm usually one to favor good old fashioned knobs and dials for automotive controls like radios and air conditioners. Simplicity is better. I realized the 430 unit was the antithesis of that. Plus I have a great Garmin GPS that I just got for Christmas, so I really didn't need the nav either.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I can't see upgrading when for six months of the year the top is down and the wind is rushing by your head.
Maybe I'm missing something here, but seems to me that driving with the top down and the wind rushing by your head is precisely why you'd want to have the best audio system possible....so you could still hear it clearly over the road noise. My previous jeep had a very good system installed by the previous owner and it's nice to have a system that sounds clear at higher volumes when you're going topless.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well, I can hear mine just fine and if it's not good enough then I will upgrade to a system with a lot more power, upgraded amps and speakers. I don't think it will really matter that much when the wind is blowing by my head at 70mph. I have had several convertibles and never needed to upgrade my radio to have better quality sound. But, to each his own and as we say around here build it the way you like it. :happyyes:

·
Registered
413 Posts
I had the base 8 speaker 130N system in my 2015 JKU. At low volumes it is OK. At mid-high volumes it pretty weak. I just replaced the system with a Kenwood unit, speakers, and subwoofer and it's incredible. Compared to my buddy's 2015 with Alpine system the sound on the Kenwood is better. The Aplpine is absolutely better than stock. It depends on price and what you're looking for. If you're not a total audio file then the Alpine would work just fine - wish I had held out for that as a whole,new system is pretty steep..

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm looking into upgrading to a 2015 willys wheeler w soon and I noticed that for 2015 jeep changed the standard radio from 7 to 8 speakers. Does anyone know if it's any good? I'd really like to avoid getting the alpine unit, trying to keep the cost low. I'm not that picky when it comes to sound, but I've heard the previous standard speakers weren't too good. Thanks~Matthew
Hey Buddie I might be getting rid of my 430n .. If u interested ? I'll let u know

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Buddie I might be getting rid of my 430n .. If u interested ? I'll let u know
Yeah I'd definitely be interested. Most likely I won't be trading in for another month or two, but just let me know when you're trying to get rid of it.~thanks, Matt

·
Registered
275 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something here, but seems to me that driving with the top down and the wind rushing by your head is precisely why you'd want to have the best audio system possible....so you could still hear it clearly over the road noise. My previous jeep had a very good system installed by the previous owner and it's nice to have a system that sounds clear at higher volumes when you're going topless.
Top off, Alpine has you covered ( supposedly, haven't tried it yet).

The Alpine will optimize sound dynamics when the hardtop is off. It "knows" when the top is off by recognizing that the rear wipers are unplugged. I saw a YouTube video on it, so it must be true. Lol.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have the 130 stock radio. It's not the most impressive radio but it's perfectly fine, and I agree with the poster above who said the only difference with the 430 is it looks cooler. Actually, they just gave me a loaner car that had a 430 and I couldn't figure out how to drive and use the touchscreen at the same time. One thing that sucks about the stock radio is you can't have both the time and the radio station showing at the same time. Which is ridiculous, I mean I understand it's the "stock" radio, but c'mon is that really a lot to ask for?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the stock (no Sub) radio in my 15' and had the 430 system in my 12' - umm unless your really into sound quality i would skip it, for my uses its fine. But its also not something that i focus on either. the new sub is in the middle of the load area floor as well (at east for some of them i have seen.

If your going to upgrade the stereo i would skip it as well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have the 130 stock radio. It's not the most impressive radio but it's perfectly fine, and I agree with the poster above who said the only difference with the 430 is it looks cooler. Actually, they just gave me a loaner car that had a 430 and I couldn't figure out how to drive and use the touchscreen at the same time. One thing that sucks about the stock radio is you can't have both the time and the radio station showing at the same time. Which is ridiculous, I mean I understand it's the "stock" radio, but c'mon is that really a lot to ask for?
I thought this was pretty crazy myself! I kept messing with the radio trying to get both but finally decided it was just a dumb design and you couldn't do it. It doesn't sound like much of an issue but it definitely annoys the heck out of me.

As for the sound quality of the stock radio and speakers, I was able to get everything to a satisfactory level after adjusting the EQ. The setup isn't going to wow anyone for sure but it does sound better after doing that. I've got a two door and wouldn't want to lose any storage space due to having a sub in the back. I can't comment on how it sounds with the top down, my Jeep has been at the service department most of the fair weather days we've had the month that I've owned it. :facepalm:

·
Registered
621 Posts
One thing that sucks about the stock radio is you can't have both the time and the radio station showing at the same time
Yeah, that is kinda stupid. My wife's van doesn't display the time on the radio either but it has a standalone clock mounted in the center of the dash.

Another thing that I have in my Tahoe at work is a display along the bottom edge of the screen showing what station each corresponding preset button below is for. That would be nice to have.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts