Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I like to say I LOVE MY WRANGLER!, and the huge community of awesome people I have met since owning it.馃槑 I had my Jeep towed into the dealership due to CEL P-302. On checking in my service adviser plugged in and reported he is being shown P-301. I had an appointment scheduled for the 21st at 11:30 am. Brought it in a day earilyy. Today Feb . 2, I finally hear back. Told shorted coil pack. About 4 oil changes ago I had noticed a smell of antifreeze. No obvious signs of leaking. Noticed coolant level was a bit low. Didn鈥檛 think much of it as it was due for another oil change. And thought if it was a problem they would let me know. Upon picking it up noting was noted or mentioned about coolant level. Got it home and popped the hood and noticed level had changed and was back at normal level.

Fast forward to next oil change and noticed level low again. This time I took a pic. Again upon picking it up nothing was mentioned or marked re: coolant level. Before I left the dealership I popped the hood and sure enough coolant had been added. I walked back in and asked for an explanation, showing the before pic. I was told nothinging to worry about.
I thought unexplained coolant loss can be an earily sign of major engine problems in future is possiblefast forward again to today. Also started getting the penstar tick.
I mentioned this today and they are going to access the tick. I have a feeling it鈥檚 actually a head issue. Even though they wanted me to replace the coil pack and go on my way. It took almost 2 week just for the diagnosis. I would hate to having to wait another two weeks to locate a problem that symptoms make likely.

I feel the reason the dealershiphad topped off coolant and not mentioning it is in hopes they do not throw a code before warranty is up. My warrenty is comming close to its end.
I just want my Jeep back healthy and happy.

By the way having had taken so long for diagnosis means I miss out on my 4 th consecutiv e year of volunteering out at the largest Off Road event... The King of the Hammer! 馃槩

Registered
Welcome to the Forum.. several possibles.. there are multiple posts on Radiator leakage that does not puddle, lower passenger side behind shroud, it burns off before puddling but the smell is present.. and also, the Oil Filter Adapter/Cooler has a crack. With shorted coil packs one would tend to believe the Oil Filter adapter/cooler is involved. You can inspect for this with a flashlight looking along side the oil filter housing to see if oil or coolant is present in the valley under the plenum. The dealership would/should have seen this when replacing the coil packs ? Use the Search community for more on both of these suggestions.

Registered
My 鈥15 had a similar coolant loss issue. Hairline crack in the radiator. It pressure tested fine, but when you looked at the lower passenger corner, you could see the residue.

I also had a misfire, though multiple cylinders, and it ended up being coil packs. Dealer replaced all (plugs, too - it was time), problem solved. No oil cooler leak, but apparently fairly common for that vintage.

2015 JKU Sahara

Retired Moderator
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

Registered
Also look for a hairline crack in the coolant reservoir (white bottle). Others here have reported that as well.

Having to top off the coolant occasionally is no big deal, same with smelling coolant. The coolant reservoir is not sealed, meaning it is open to atmosphere. This allows water to evaporate out of the coolant and if you are close enough to it, especially when hot, you can smell coolant. However, you shouldn't have to add a lot of coolant to make up for evaporation - IIRC, I have to add about a cup or so every year here in CT.

Registered
most likely your radiator. i do them all the time. most of the time you can smell it but cant see it.
if your getting a misfire code and you here a ticking noise you have a roller rocker starting to go bad.
both are common problems. If your dealer cant find either issue you need to find another dealer. they all know these issues. unless they gave it to the Lube Kid to fix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts