Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the warmer weather right around the corner, I'm looking to get some sort of security box for when the top comes off. From reading around, the under seat boxes don't fit in the 2-door JKs.

I've seen the Bestop Console Lock Box, but have also read it blocks use of the USB port in the console.

Bestop 42643-01 - Bestop® Interior Console Lock Box for 11-16 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

I've also seen the Tuffy Cubby Lock which is definitely an option but wanted to check if I've missed something else that's out there that y'all use.

Tuffy 143-01 - Tuffy Security Products Locking Cubby Cover for 07-16 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
I have the Tuffy Cubby Lock. They suggest you remove the plastic tray that is in the cubby. I did and it does give a bit more room. If you forget to lock the cubby it won't open if the tailgate is closed and locked. Seems well built. If you get any other tuffy products you can have them match the new key/lock to your existing lock.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have the Bestop Console box and love it. It installed very easily (although the lock that came with it did not work properly so I had to replace it). I put my pistol and radar detector in it when I exit the vehicle. Well-made (except for the lock that was with mine, but cost only $5 to replace it) and is secure.
You do lose use of the USB, but there is a work-around. Simply cut a small slot in the top side of the lockbox (or in the side of the lockbox top) so the USB cable can exit through it and not be pinched by the lid. It's not that the USB outlet is blocked...but rather the lockbox has no exit for the usb cable.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had the Tuffy underseat in my TJ and was completely disappointed they couldn't figure it out for our JK's. I tried their rear cubby but wasn't very happy with it. I found the VDP Storage Vault and it's work great. You don't lose any functionality and it is pretty durable.

I also have the Bestop console insert and happy with it too. Seems durable but the lock can be kind of a pain to get the key inserted at times. If they made that piece better I would rave about it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had the Tuffy underseat in my TJ and was completely disappointed they couldn't figure it out for our JK's. I tried their rear cubby but wasn't very happy with it. I found the VDP Storage Vault and it's work great. You don't lose any functionality and it is pretty durable.

I also have the Bestop console insert and happy with it too. Seems durable but the lock can be kind of a pain to get the key inserted at times. If they made that piece better I would rave about it.
Just go to Lowe's or HD and buy a mailbox lock...same size as the lock that comes with the console box and works perfectly. Costs about $5...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I ran the Tuffy Tailgate Enclosure on a two-door, and it worked great for me. Kept things locked and out of sight mainly. I just ordered one for my new JKU and will put it on when the hardtop comes off next month or so. May not be idea for everyone, but I love having something that offers some lockable space for general level of security that can be pulled out quickly as needed.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I am waiting for some missing hardware, but I have the Tuffy 275-01 awaiting an install. I have a 2dr, so I will be losing my rear seats. Not sure if that's a factor for you.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Looks great. Not for me though, I think I would like to keep my rear seats
Thanks! It's not a permanent change however: the lid and rear wall of the deck are removed without tools, the mounting brackets remain, and the seat can be reinstalled if needed with the brackets in place. If needed, the brackets come off easily as well.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I'm thinking about the Tuffy glove box and/or console box. Is it the same as the Bestop console box? I'm assuming I could notch the lid of either console box to feed a charging wire through while keeping it closed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm thinking about the Tuffy glove box and/or console box. Is it the same as the Bestop console box? I'm assuming I could notch the lid of either console box to feed a charging wire through while keeping it closed.
I'm shopping for a console insert right now as well. Leaning toward the Bestop since it retains the shallow tray up top. I just want a secure place for my registration, sunglasses, etc (nothing that could hurt someone).

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the Bestop console lock box. The one downside is that it must always be locked. You can't remove the key without locking it. So, wife has to pull out the key every time she wants to retrieve something.

I have been planning to go to a locksmith and try to get a different lock

·
Registered
63 Posts
Although the shallow tray would have to be removed, the Tuffy Security Console Insert WILL allow you to use the USB port inside, has a notch to allow wires to pass through to the outside, and will allow you to remove the key while leaving it unlocked, if needed. Part #276-01
Check in with some of the shops here on WF and they'll get you a great deal!

·
Registered
403 Posts
What rear mat is that? Any problems getting the seat in and out?

I like the looks of that Tuffy as well. I've been thinking about one myself.
The seats can some in and out as normal, when the Lid and Back are removed the remaining brackets stay on top of the rear wheel well. The mat and mounts I did on my own. The rear cargo area mat is Q-Tec, got the Front Back and Cargo combo. Still fits even with the security deck.

The mat is from Amazon, $31 for a 4x4 ft section that I cut: http://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Cal-Di...457739568&sr=8-5&keywords=diamond+plate+vinyl

The mounts are $14 bucks also on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Lashing-Enclo...own+f+Enclosed+Cargo+Trailer+Pickup+(10+Pack)

·
Registered
599 Posts
Although the shallow tray would have to be removed, the Tuffy Security Console Insert WILL allow you to use the USB port inside, has a notch to allow wires to pass through to the outside, and will allow you to remove the key while leaving it unlocked, if needed. Part #276-01
Check in with some of the shops here on WF and they'll get you a great deal!
Hmm, that's good info to have. Thanks for chiming in. I assume the 12V port is accessible as well as the USB port? (mine actually has 12V only, no USB). Also, will 6 x 500ml water bottles still fit in? I was surprised to find that I could fit 6 standing up in the stock console Just barely (so I imagine they might not quite fit, no biggie though).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts