Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
616 Posts
Well thanks for the review, I say good job !

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thanks for the review, I say good job !
Glad you liked the review.. We hope to get some more seat time with some other wranglers and other Jeep models.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had my 2015 Sport for nearly 2 months now, and I can attest, you were very accurate in mentioning the steering being very sensitive, almost makes driving straight kinda jerky. Good review!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Whoever wrote this article has obviously never been in a remotely fast vehicle. In the article it says it feels like a "sports car". Really? Its a total dog. And that is just fine, but it's funny to think someone thinks it is fast. My fiance has an explorer sport. When I first test drove my '15 JK it felt like a total slug compared to the explorer. Again, I could care less if it's fast, just funny is all. Thanks for the write up!

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Whoever wrote this article has obviously never been in a remotely fast vehicle. In the article it says it feels like a "sports car". Really? Its a total dog. And that is just fine, but it's funny to think someone thinks it is fast. My fiance has an explorer sport. When I first test drove my '15 JK it felt like a total slug compared to the explorer. Again, I could care less if it's fast, just funny is all. Thanks for the write up!
Hi thanks for your feedback on the review. Always enjoy hearing from our members. I fully stand behind the 2015 review and my statement, which was written as “accelerates like a sports car”, not as you wrote “feels like a sports car”. Either way it got me thinking. How does the 2015 sport compare to true sports cars.

The published time for the 2015 Wrangler Sport is 6.6 seconds from 0-60. Seems darn good to me. But what do I know as I obviously have never driven anything fast. So let me list a few 0-60 times for some well know sports cars and see how it stacks up. (side note.. yes I have owned a few of the below models)

2015 Wrangler Sport 6.6
1993 Porsche 928 GTS 6.0
1986 Porsche 944 turbo 5.9
1981 Ferrari 308 Dino GT4 7.7
1983 Ferrari 308 GBTi 6.7
1967 Corvette 427 4.7
1974 MGB GT v8 8.0
2002 Acura NSX 4.7
1997 Toyota Supra turbo 5.0
1971 Datsun 240z 8.6
1969 Corvette base 8.4
1995 RX7 5.2

While it gets beat by many of the models above, it also bests a few of them. Sure current versions of these models beat it soundly, but a sports car does not simply give up its status once the production run is over. Thus factor in the Wranglers less than aerodynamic body, the fact that it sits high off the ground the drag from a soft top and its still less than 2 seconds slower than the NSX or the 67 Stingray both which where built for speed. I would say 2015 is flat out impressive.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi thanks for your feedback on the review. Always enjoy hearing from our members. I fully stand behind the 2015 review and my statement, which was written as “accelerates like a sports car”, not as you wrote “feels like a sports car”. Either way it got me thinking. How does the 2015 sport compare to true sports cars.

The published time for the 2015 Wrangler Sport is 6.6 seconds from 0-60. Seems darn good to me. But what do I know as I obviously have never driven anything fast. So let me list a few 0-60 times for some well know sports cars and see how it stacks up. (side note.. yes I have owned a few of the below models)

2015 Wrangler Sport 6.6
1993 Porsche 928 GTS 6.0
1986 Porsche 944 turbo 5.9
1981 Ferrari 308 Dino GT4 7.7
1983 Ferrari 308 GBTi 6.7
1967 Corvette 427 4.7
1974 MGB GT v8 8.0
2002 Acura NSX 4.7
1997 Toyota Supra turbo 5.0
1971 Datsun 240z 8.6
1969 Corvette base 8.4
1995 RX7 5.2

While it gets beat by many of the models above, it also bests a few of them. Sure current versions of these models beat it soundly, but a sports car does not simply give up its status once the production run is over. Thus factor in the Wranglers less than aerodynamic body, the fact that it sits high off the ground the drag from a soft top and its still less than 2 seconds slower than the NSX or the 67 Stingray both which where built for speed. I would say 2015 is flat out impressive.
First things first, I posted for fun so please don't take it as insulting. I am just given ya a hard time! :)

The cars you posted are humorously slow. It's funny to think that sports cars of yesteryear were such dogs!! The supra, rx7 and nsx are all decently quick. I always liked those and they sure are getting rare.

Also, is the wrangler really that fast? 6.6?? Somewhere I saw 7.8
The only time I have actually spent in one was on my test drive and now I am waiting for lift and 35s to be installed so it is going to be really slow lol!! It definitely felt like there was power there, it just didn't feel snappy to me.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I too found the 6.6 0-60 just now. May mine felt slower because the 6.6 time is from a 2 door with smaller tires. Mine being a willys and having the 255 stock and being 4 door maybe made it feel slower.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I read the review and have to agree with much of it. The biggest one is "We only hope that Jeep continues to remember its roots in future Wranglers.":beerdrinking:

It may not mean much to people from other States but keeping to the tradition of it's birthplace would be, to me, one of the greatest things the current handlers could continue to do.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
My 2014 with 4.10's pretty damn fast if you ask me and anyone who has ever driven with me when I punched it. I leave a lot of cars in the dust or am right beside them when I get some cocky ass like myself beside me at an intersection :p. I even had a guy in a v6 mustang pull up beside me with a thumbs up after I just walked away from him at the last light. :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
My 2014 with 4.10's pretty damn fast if you ask me and anyone who has ever driven with me when I punched it. I leave a lot of cars in the dust or am right beside them when I get some cocky ass like myself beside me at an intersection
. I even had a guy in a v6 mustang pull up beside me with a thumbs up after I just walked away from him at the last light.
Nice!!! Clearly I didn't step on it enough when I test drove mine! I knew I was gonna buy it so I was not driving very hard lol

I always thought TJs were fast too with the 4.0. They move pretty good.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Nice!!! Clearly I didn't step on it enough when I test drove mine! I knew I was gonna buy it so I was not driving very hard lol I always thought TJs were fast too with the 4.0. They move pretty good.
You need to open it up once in while and give it a work out. ;)

It's even part of the break in procedure to do higher rpm throttle blurbs.

I don't lay it to the floor very often, don't really need to with gear ratio on stock tires and auto tranny it's still very quick off the line with out even going above 4000rpm compared to many vehicles out there.

Never driven a 4.0l so can't compare.

But have driven a lot V6's and the 3.6 is a quick motor, even in the Caravan it is pretty quick. Then match that with 4.10's and it sure does feel like a little rocket off the line. Especially for the weight and lack of aerodynamics :p.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Nice!!! Clearly I didn't step on it enough when I test drove mine! I knew I was gonna buy it so I was not driving very hard lol I always thought TJs were fast too with the 4.0. They move pretty good.
You need to open it up once in while and give it a work out.

It's even part of the break in procedure to do higher rpm throttle blurbs.

I don't lay it to the floor very often, don't really need to with gear ratio on stock tires and auto tranny it's still very quick off the line with out even going above 4000rpm compared to many vehicles out there.

Never driven a 4.0l so can't compare.

But have driven a lot V6's and the 3.6 is a quick motor, even in the Caravan it is pretty quick. Then match that with 4.10's and it sure does feel like a little rocket off the line. Especially for the weight and lack of aerodynamics
I wish I had 4.10s. My 3.73s aren't gonna love my 35s very much lol

·
Because I Can
362 Posts
Thanks for the review! I've had my 2015 JKU sport for 2 months now and I agree, it accelerates like a sports car. I drove my 2011 JK for four years and IT was a slug compared to the '15.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
So its basically the same Wrangler post 2012+. Glad thats the case :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Your write up on the 2015 JK is exactly what I would've written. I've had mine since last November and will say it's the best vehicle I've ever owned. It suits my active lifestyle perfectly, completely fulfills my needs, and is fun to drive. It took a day or two to get used to the steering but I'm all dialled in now. I've noticed I've slowed down a lot (my 'economy' car is a Civic SiR) in the Jeep- there's just no need for speed....

·
Super Moderator
12,723 Posts
I drove a brand new 2015 JKU as a rental for a week over Mothers Day week in Upstate New York. I took it on some rough roads in the Catskills (not trails) and through a muddy field (stock tires). It was OK and a lot smoother on the Thruway than my YJ but when I got home I was happy to be back in my 28 year old carburated clunker.
I am fortunate enough to have the skills and tools to maintain my Jeep so the $35K to $45K more for a JK than I have invested in my YJ just isn't worth it to me.
My next door neighbor has a highly modified 2014 JKU and he loves it. I guess that difference is what makes the world go around.
Good Luck to All, L.M.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I drove a brand new 2015 JKU as a rental for a week over Mothers Day week in Upstate New York. I took it on some rough roads in the Catskills (not trails) and through a muddy field (stock tires). It was OK and a lot smoother on the Thruway than my YJ but when I got home I was happy to be back in my 28 year old carburated clunker.
I am fortunate enough to have the skills and tools to maintain my Jeep so the $35K to $45K more for a JK than I have invested in my YJ just isn't worth it to me.
My next door neighbor has a highly modified 2014 JKU and he loves it. I guess that difference is what makes the world go around.
Good Luck to All, L.M.
I think you make a valid point.. there is something to be said for keeping it simple.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts