Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on buying a new Jeep Wrangler. I have seen the leaked 2016 ordering guide[1] and noticed that it says 2016MY

Does that mean that the 2016 will be the first year of the new MY platform.

I presume that the 2015JK is the most refined JK model, should I go out and buy a 2015JK while they can still be had or do I take the risk and get the first year of the MY platform?

Does anyone know if there are substantial differences between JK and MY ?

What do you think?

[1] BREAKING: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Order Guide!- Blog of SpeedBlog of Speed

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
MY is abbreviation for Model Year, it is not a new model designation
+1

This is to contrast with Calendar Year. This seems to confuse a lot of people, in that one can buy/order a 2016 Wrangler, even though their calendar app says today is still in 2015. :D

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
+1 This is to contrast with Calendar Year. This seems to confuse a lot of people, in that one can buy/order a 2016 Wrangler, even though their calendar app says today is still in 2015. :D
still summer 2015 at that, the MY's seem to come out earlier and earlier, I have an end of MY 2014 I had built in June, that is only a couple months older than a 2015. Now they are ordering 2016's and mine still only has 8000 miles and is slightly older than a year old, it's trippy

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
still summer 2015 at that, the MY's seem to come out earlier and earlier, I have an end of MY 2014 I had built in June, that is only a couple months older than a 2015. Now they are ordering 2016's and mine still only has 8000 miles and is slightly older than a year old, it's trippy
Thanks to all who replied!

So, MY == Model Year. I should have figured as much.

I think that I might go out and order one of those new 2016 Black Bear Edition Wranglers, they sound pretty awesome.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
KL is the current Cherokee. JL is the 2017/2018 Wrangler (the all new Wrangler) that's coming. Sources are starting to leak info about it finally. It appears that the sport bar and soft top setup that we've seen since 1987 is going away. The JL will become more traditional with a less open body design.

I would bet that the 2016 models will be huge sellers because wind of this change coming for the JL will be big news during this upcoming model year.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
KL is the current Cherokee. JL is the 2017/2018 Wrangler (the all new Wrangler) that's coming. Sources are starting to leak info about it finally. It appears that the sport bar and soft top setup that we've seen since 1987 is going away. The JL will become more traditional with a less open body design.

I would bet that the 2016 models will be huge sellers because wind of this change coming for the JL will be big news during this upcoming model year.
IF all that is true then.... 2015 was/is the best year because it still had the Better Warranty '15 FTW.
Congrats 2015 Owners you are to be commended for your insight and forewarned good judgement in ordering what will clearly be a year to remember.... sounds good?

I'm calling "the Donald" see if he needs a speech writer.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
What does that mean?
It won't be a totally open air experience anymore and the windshield likely won't fold anymore. Federal crash test standards are making it really tough on automakers to sell vehicles that are listed as "convertibles" so it appears that Jeep is restructuring the Wrangler so that it can be tested in a traditional way like every other SUV on the market.

This doesn't mean that soft tops are history necessarily, just that they will be very different from what we have now possibly. Personally, if they gave me a hard top with removable hard window panels all the way around I'd be perfectly happy.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thanks Kadonny and WXman

Pretty depressing to me, since I'm now addicted to the flexibility and the infinite number of configurations (especially top/doors) available in jeepville - limited only by funding.

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts

Correct. I read it wrong.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts