Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally went out for my first test drive today after weeks of research. This will be my first jeep purchase. Looking at the JKU with automatic transmission, power convenience package, and 3 piece hard top. TrueCar valued that at 28,858. After talking numbers, sales rep quoted me 33,975. Told him that this was my first stop and I'm going to be shopping around. He asked me if I had a price in the back of my head that I'm willing to pay and I told him I want an OTD price of 29k. Is this realistic for the package I want? From what I've been researching, it doest seem too far out of the question. He told me there was no way his manager would approve that and he could possibly go 600 lower from his original quote. So i walked. Any new buyers want to share their experience. This is my first time buying a new car, let alone a jeep. All input greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'm on my phone, so I can't see where you're from, but there's a group buy in Houston doing 5.5% below invoice and another near DC doing a group buy at 7% below invoice (closer to 5-5.5% after fees, but still really good).

Also, if you join Tread Lightly, you automatically get 1% below invoice.

Personally, I did the DC group buy and was pleased with the process.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Where can I find info about the group buy?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Also, don't deal with the idiot sales kid. When you go in, tell them you will only deal with someone who is authorized to sell a vehicle.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
... TrueCar valued that at 28,858.

... and I told him I want an OTD price of 29k. Is this realistic for the package I want? From what I've been researching, it doest seem too far out of the question.
When I was shopping, the TrueCar dealer was the highest initial quote I got from any. :rolleyes:

Anyway, what is your sales taxes and state registration/title costs? Those can factor significantly since such would be have to be included in any OTD price quote. I mean, if sales tax and registration/title costs are zero in your area, then you are simply asking the dealer to match the TrueCar quote, and that should be very realistic.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Living in upstate NY. Gonna get hit with a 4% tax and roughly another 150 for title a registration...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I'm basically trying to get him to go down 1500 from the TrueCar price. His original offer just seems so outrageous to me. Is he trying to feel me out to see how I respond? While he was sitting in the back during the test drive he told me the JKU pretty much sells itself and I won't be seeing many being sold below the sticker price.

·
Registered
582 Posts
So I'm basically trying to get him to go down 1500 from the TrueCar price. His original offer just seems so outrageous to me. Is he trying to feel me out to see how I respond? While he was sitting in the back during the test drive he told me the JKU pretty much sells itself and I won't be seeing many being sold below the sticker price.
He's full of it. I'm sure plenty of people fall for that line, but as mentioned above, there are deals to be had.

Heck, one of the site sponsors offers 2% under invoice with no haggling whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Amering, bought my 2012 JKU new, paid $32,900.00 with all the power things you mentioned, but got the dual top option also. 17" rims. Nothing special, heated mirrors, power convenience package, they would not budge on the the price but got a little better deal on my older Jeep trade in the second go aound. Wasn't too happy, but they matched what I wanted to spend a month on my payments. So $33,00.00/34,00.000 isn't out of the question...I was told all vehicles increase about 2-3 present a year. I knew what I wanted, told them it's a deal, and I'm happy. Until my next one!

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Check out post 1 of the 2015 waiting room, too. There are some buying tips for getting the best price. :)

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Please keep in mind that to use the Tread Lightly discount, you need to have been a Tread Lightly member for 30 days. I just found that out today. :)

So, my 30 day count down to ordering starts today. :beerdrinking:

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Please keep in mind that to use the Tread Lightly discount, you need to have been a Tread Lightly member for 30 days. I just found that out today. :)

So, my 30 day count down to ordering starts today. :beerdrinking:
You don't have to be at thirty days to ORDER, you just have to have been a member for thirty days to USE the control number. Most builds take at least thirty days, so you'd be covered. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. Can anyone give me a reasonable price for the JKU with the 24s package? I'm going to 2 dealers tomorrow and hoping to step my game up

·
Registered
78 Posts
For those simply seeking the best deal, please be aware that a few other affiliates' memberships have a lower entry cost than Tread Lightly ($100). Access Fund membership (an organization for rock/mountain climbing stewardship), for example, costs $35 to receive affiliate pricing on Jeep family products. Also understand that the fine print for almost all affiliate discounts stipulates a $75 processing fee. Thus, Tread Lightly ends up costing $175 and Access Fund is $110 for the 1% under invoice price.

With that said, I personally opted to support Tread Lightly because, as an outdoors and wilderness nut, I can relate to and appreciate their mission. The choice is yours.

·
Registered
19 Posts
3% Below Invoice

I've bought a few Rubicons over the last few years. I do it all over the phone or internet. Of course, I'm not geographically constrained, so I have flown places to pick up vehicles.

1. Search jeep.com for the exact vehicle you want. Rank order them in preference by options and colors you want.

2. Send an email to someone at the dealer offering 3% below invoice. Also ask what other fees they charge. If they charge more than $200 for a dealer admin fee, move on.

3. Find the invoice on Truecar. Calculate the invoice - 3% - incentives (mil discount) + dealer fee + TTL = OTD. Write that number in an email. If they don't accept it, move on to the next.

Get your own financing, tell the salesman what time you want to show up and to have the paperwork ready, then go pick it up.

I know you can find a better price than 3% below invoice, but if the person at the dealership makes it easy, I think it's a fair price.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I know you can find a better price than 3% below invoice, but if the person at the dealership makes it easy, I think it's a fair price.
I hear what you're saying, but I think it pays to find the dealer whose intent is to profit through volume vice overhead.

The group buy dealer being mentioned in this thread is aggressively marketing his offer. I'm at better than 8% under invoice without taking a significant bite out of his holdback. I save almost $7k off sticker and he gets his volume bonuses from Chrysler, all with minimal effort from either of us.

They're not in the business of selling at a loss, so we're both probably walking away from this deal happy.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I hear what you're saying, but I think it pays to find the dealer whose intent is to profit through volume vice overhead.

The group buy dealer being mentioned in this thread is aggressively marketing his offer. I'm at better than 8% under invoice without taking a significant bite out of his holdback. I save almost $7k off sticker and he gets his volume bonuses from Chrysler, all with minimal effort from either of us.

They're not in the business of selling at a loss, so we're both probably walking away from this deal happy.
Well, I can tell you the salesman is getting the shaft. None of the profits realized by the dealer through volume bonuses get passed down to the guy actually taking the time to process the sale. He/she will end up spending half a day missing "ups" on the lot and not catching inbound phone calls all for the honor of putting one up on the board for a "mini"...a minimum commission sale, usually about $200. If he is good, he will book 6-10 units a month, and he works for commission. He is not making a living selling units at minimum commissioned sales.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts