Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a proud owner of a recently purchased 4dr Rubicon, love it! However, its 3.6 engine doesn't produce the power that I'm accustomed to. Now grant it that this is my 3rd Jeep and all of my previous cars have been Porsche's, BMW's, Mercedes, Corvettes, Camaros etc. Now I know that a Jeep is neither of those above mentioned above, however, I went to a local shop and they informed me that with doing a few mods to my stock engine that I could get a few ponies more such as 30 hp by just doing an ECU tune. This moron also said that I could get additional 200 by just doing a CAI, Exhaust, Programmer, etc etc.. 200 FREAKING HP!!! WHAAAAAT????

I didn't want to get into a confrontation with the guy but I told him that those numbers were not real world numbers, that a supercharge won't give that much power so how can a few mods do that??? Then he changed the tune and said, well "I heard!" WTH! seriously???? This is a shop that works with Jeeps, now grant it that they don't do "performance work" but to claim that by doing a programmer, CAI, exhaust you'll get that much power is INSANE~ But anyway, back to the subject on hand. Can a programmer give you an added benefit to get a few ponies or performance upgrade? Or the only solution will be a Supercharger, HEMI swap, etc?

I contacted Superchip and one of their reps said that with their Superchip that the JKU gets about 26/30 hp... for $500 or so. So verdict?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Just get a supercharger. Seriously. Ripp seems to have the most power and almost every jeep on instagram has a ripp supercharger.

I cannot afford one or else I would have one vs any other mod. Man that would make my 2 door a blast :D

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
You might get some extra ponies with a programmer, CAI and some exhaust mods, mostly from the custom tune, but not in a level of the powerband that you might be able to keep up every day, most Jeep JK owners won't want to be seeing doing 6000rpm shift on a daily basis , also, would that get your Jeep 30hp ?? lol, doubt it, this are very small engines to see that kind of gains, but again, is not like many have taken the time to put their JK on the dyno rollers to make valid claims and confirm "propaganda" numbers from the manufacturers.

I'm a engine management tuner by hobby since 2006, and i have access to a programming tool that can do JK's or most Dodge stuff in general for that matter, i started with GM LS2 tuning, and moved on to L76, LS3, LS7, and LQx truck stuff, i've been tuning every V8 chevy application i've had since then, then learned how to do the same with Ford newer 5.0's in the Stang GT (Coyote/Roadrunner) and F150's in recent times plus the little 2.0 turbo engine in the Focus ST, and now i'm playing with the 3.6L engine and trans in the Jeep.

I have my own custom tune of course , mostly to correct some of what i think are deficiencies in the driveability department, some won't even imagine possible as handheld programmers don't have access to certain things you can change in the Jeep calibration, or they'll give you fairly limited access to them, or you get a custom vendor config of what they think the parameter should be configured in General for everybody with a stock Jeep, or a Jeep with a CAI, etc, etc, etc, i'm sure i gained a couple of ponies here and there, but i have no way to prove it, unless somebody wants to line them up... hahaha

Is up to you dude, listen, there are people concerned with 22's, fancy halo colored headlights, p rated tires, what short antenna, what color to paint their bumper d-rings ..., i mean, if it was a 5-6 rwhp gain, but makes you feel right, and makes you put a grin in your face everytime you drive the Jeep , what difference does it makes what some of us think ?

The way i see it, there are different ways to spend $500, some will replace headlights, some others will get some spacers to lift, some others will do tires, other will keep the money, up to you. i can verify my tune gives me a little more mpg, little more power, reduce torque management, etc ,etc, but in my case, it was pretty much free to do and i know exactly what i changed.

Have fun, we're not cats, we can only live once :)
btw, if you really wanted to see some HP numbers, force induction or a V8 swap would be the right choices, you can always spray some nos, again, you need a tune for that, and Superchips don't have anything like that for such option, granted, don't know many JK owners will spray a 100 shot, but a 100 shot would give you more or less around 80rwhp with the touch of a bottom, at least for a number of sec while the bottle runs empty, HP on demand haha.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
This moron also said that I could get additional 200 by just doing a CAI, Exhaust, Programmer, etc etc.. 200 FREAKING HP!!! WHAAAAAT????
Maybe he meant to say that you could get the peak power at the wheels up to 200 whp with bolt on mods, rather than add 200 more whp?

I contacted Superchip and one of their reps said that with their Superchip that the JKU gets about 26/30 hp... for $500 or so. So verdict?
Be aware that the gains advertized by tuners are not gains in *peak* values, but instead are maximum gain at some point throughout the rpm range. The canned performance tunes on tuners do improve throttle response and give some noticeable low-mid rpm gains. By noticeable, I mean that you will personally notice a difference. It won't amaze your passengers with sport-car-like acceleration. If someone drove a Jeep with a canned performance tune without ever driving a stock Jeep, they would not suspect it has any performance modifications.

See this thread for some 3rd-party dyno results of performance exhaust and intake to get an idea of how much power is available from simple mods: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/banks-dyno-day-326377.html

If you want huge gains, you have to go with a big V8 conversion, a turbo, or a supercharger.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe he meant to say that you could get the peak power at the wheels up to 200 whp with bolt on mods, rather than add 200 more whp?

Be aware that the gains advertized by tuners are not gains in *peak* values, but instead are maximum gain at some point throughout the rpm range. The canned performance tunes on tuners do improve throttle response and give some noticeable low-mid rpm gains. By noticeable, I mean that you will personally notice a difference. It won't amaze your passengers with sport-car-like acceleration. If someone drove a Jeep with a canned performance tune without ever driving a stock Jeep, they would not suspect it has any performance modifications.

See this thread for some 3rd-party dyno results of performance exhaust and intake to get an idea of how much power is available from simple mods: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/banks-dyno-day-326377.html

If you want huge gains, you have to go with a big V8 conversion, a turbo, or a supercharger.
Supercharger will be the ticket when money allows, would love to do a HEMI swap but I don't have that type of cash to shell out. When will Jeep decide to make a diesel??? Now that would be nice~

·
Commercial Member
287 Posts
RMS- Do you do any tuning for others?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts