Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
So after a well deserved vacation I was coming home from the beach Monday was close to home had to work Tuesday so I figured I'd fill up my tank I always run 89 but decided to run 93 that night for some reason. Any ways the pump popped put the cap back on climbed in and started the jeep but guess what it didn't start starter worked all electronics worked so I got my girlfriend to turn the key while I listened for the fuel pump and no noise from the fuel pump so after a few minutes of cussing I decided I couldn't fix it because it was 1AM and no parts store was open so called a tow truck to come get it girlfriends mom came and got us and all of our stuff. The tow truck guy called me telling me my jeep was at the closest dealer (Spartanburg dodge) called the dealership the following morning and told them what was up with it they said they would have someone look at it I told them the fuel pump went out, they called me that same day and said my picm went out I said okay what's the cost on that he responded $865 labor included I said go ahead he called back the next day and said that now there is no power coming out of the pump "I was right about that" he said it needs a new pump as well I said okay how much total he responded all combined $1,456.63 at this point I said fuzzy bunny, it's my only transportation do it went and picked It up they said they'd fill my tank up only had half a tank of gas but you know whatever I'll fill it up no big deal what really pissed me off is the fact my phone charger was stolen now I'm not pointing fingers at the dealership or the tow company I just know my phone charger was stolen but hopefully this is the last of electrical problems hopefully if not it will be for sale and I'll never buy a jeep again because there's no recall on this and unfortunately all I have is powertrain warranty but that's how my week has been going hope it helps Anyone with this kind of problem.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
That dealer sucks. Sounds like they took you to the cleaners and it was the fuel pump to start with.

Reactions: RHD SuperSub

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That dealer sucks. Sounds like they took you to the cleaners and it was the fuel pump to start with.
I know but I was between a rock and a hard place but anyone with a brain knows what a fuel pump sounds like but oh well won't ever buy another jeep product in my lifetime

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
After my Toyota Sequoia left me with a $9500 off-warranty repair... I bought the 7 year, 160,000km warranty for my Wrangler... knowing that if I keep it that long, there is a good chance I'll get my money's worth. I swore I'd never buy Toyota again either... but really... I had a pretty good run with 5 different Yota's.

So far it's still on factory warranty, but both front axle seals have been replaced, the ball joints were replaced as they apparently came with no grease in them from the factory (?), and the turn signal switch is on order.

Sometimes you are the one that get's something major fail. How are you off warranty with a 2015?

Anyway, I'd tell them to swap the PICM back in and see if it works.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
After my Toyota Sequoia left me with a $9500 off-warranty repair... I bought the 7 year, 160,000km warranty for my Wrangler... knowing that if I keep it that long, there is a good chance I'll get my money's worth. I swore I'd never buy Toyota again either... but really... I had a pretty good run with 5 different Yota's.

So far it's still on factory warranty, but both front axle seals have been replaced, the ball joints were replaced as they apparently came with no grease in them from the factory (?), and the turn signal switch is on order.

Sometimes you are the one that get's something major fail. How are you off warranty with a 2015?

Anyway, I'd tell them to swap the PICM back in and see if it works.

what the heck cost you $9500 to have repaired???! :jawdrop:

sorry about what happened to you with the stealership, but thats also why i do ALL of my repairs.

i know hindsight is 20/20, but why couldn't you have them drop the jeep off at your house and fix it yourself for $150?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
what the heck cost you $9500 to have repaired???! :jawdrop:

sorry about what happened to you with the stealership, but thats also why i do ALL of my repairs.

i know hindsight is 20/20, but why couldn't you have them drop the jeep off at your house and fix it yourself for $150?
Valve spring retainer broke... dropped valve... grenaded motor.

The repair was $2500 for a used motor, which I was lucky to find as the dealership's cheapest salvage they could find was $8000... and a new motor from toyota... $22,000. The rest was labour and a few parts... oil pan... exhaust manifold because they cracked one...

My initial thought was to just replace the one head... clean out the shrapnel and trade the thing... it probably would have ran good enough...

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
wow. i would have done the swap myself for that much! when i was trying to find the knocking in my old f150, i bought a harbor freight engine hoist and stand so i could pull the engine out. i swapped the crank and bearings along with the oil pump and had the engine reinstalled in a couple days after work.

the sequoia has alot more going on under the hood than the ford, but still.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't have the time to do the work myself I'm a full time heavy diesel mechanic working on machinery and large trucks and I'm also a full time student at night so I needed it fixed like ASAP didn't really care about cost just needed it done I really hate relying on other people for transportation and that's what I had to do wasn't offered a loaner or anything but that's not even what made me mad someone somehow somewhere along the way of it being dropped off and the dealer working on it, my phone charger was stolen and I know what y'all are probably gonna say "oh boo your phone charger was stolen" when I worked at dealerships I treated your shit like it was mine and I valued my job so much I'd never steal from anyone ever but the moral to this very expensive life lesson is I need to buy a ****ing Honda Civic as a second car lol

·
Super Moderator
5,727 Posts
You certainly CAN run 89 in it. But it only needs 87 and running 89 will not make it run better, faster, or stronger. It will just cost you a little more money to put gas into it. No harm done, other than the thinner wallet.

I can't imagine taking my JKU to the dealer for anything that isn't covered under warranty. There is no good that can come out of paying a dealership to work on your Jeep, in my opinion and experience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts