Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, this my first time posting here on the Jeep forums. I'm trying to plan a big repair to my Wife's Jeep that she practically use as daily driver. Its a 2015 Unlimited Wrangler Sport with a small lift and 35 inch tires. It shakes terrible at highway speeds.

The shake wasn't that bad in 2016 when we first lifted it, but it's terrible now. At first (& still am) thinking need new tires with a balance. However, I took it to a shop back in May and they suggested that we get the tire rods ends and ball joints be replaced. I only had enough cash at the time to the get tire rods replaces. After that it drove great for about two weeks, now its back shaking terribly on the highway.

So now I'm planning to do the following:

Replace Ball Joints
New 35's tires
New Shocks

Do you guys have any other suggestions to kill the terrible shaking at highway speeds?

Also, what brands do y'all recommend for the ball joints and shocks.

Thanks

IMG_1703.jpg

·
Registered
268 Posts
I would check all hardware for proper torque and if any wear is evident. Also, for balancing tires see if you can have them road force balanced.

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
First, get your tires rebalanced.

Second, have your alignment redone if it hasn't been done recently.

Third, check for excessive play in your steering and suspension. Search "PLANMAN explains death wobble" on YouTube. This is NOT Death Wobble but the diagnosis procedure is still valid.

It's unlikely to be the balljoints on a street Jeep but if it were, the consensus seems to be that Teraflex ball joints are the best value for $$$.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've had a bilstein steering stabilizer in my room for 2 months now, these can mask symptoms so many say not to run them until you've checked everything else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys for your help. I been researching replacing the track bar as well. Can y'all make any recommendations for a good track bar?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thank you guys for your help. I been researching replacing the track bar as well. Can y'all make any recommendations for a good track bar?
I bought the rough country one. I know the reputation, but the thing is big and strong. Has lasted over 1 year but only 15k

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
Teraflex, Rock Krawler...

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Metalcloak, steer smarts, JKS....I run MC it works great and clears everything including the poison spyder diff cover, at least for me it does. Worked good both before and after I flipped the drag link.

·
Commercial Member
7,006 Posts
Don't just throw parts at it.

As mentioned above, watch the video and do the dry steer test with a helper.

·
Vendor
5,579 Posts
Don't just throw parts at it.

As mentioned above, watch the video and do the dry steer test with a helper.
Agreed. But, if you are looking for parts, give us a shot. We have some good pricing on those parts you may be looking at replacing.

Have a blessed and prosperous day!

Allen

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just giving a quick update. Took the Jeep to the dealer and got the Road Force Balanced and that did the job! I felt so stupid for not taking it to the dealer the first time instead of the other shop I took it too. The tires were terribly out of balance. The tech at the dealer balanced the and put weights on them and now it rides smooth as a Jeep will probably get. It only cost me a about $100 dollars.

Thanks for y'all help. Side note, I am still looking to purchase new tires as the dealer confirmed that their isn't much life let in the tires. They estimated that'll I'll probably need some more in a few months.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,588 Posts
There are a lot of shops that can properly balance tires. Many have road force balancing machines as well. Honestly, I am impressed your dealer was able to properly balance the tires on the first try.
Whenever you have a speed related wobble or vibration having your tires balanced properly should always be step one. And road force balancing is often the best way to go with larger tires. But even a good tech with a normal balancing machine can balance most 35" Jeep tires.

·
Registered
133 Posts
https://vimeo.com/69169651
Here is something I came across the other day from another thread here on the forum. Has anyone had any experience with these? I bet these would have fixed the shaking the op was having.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts