Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

221 - 238 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I developed a loud lifter tick on the drivers side last week. 2015 jku sport s with 19k. This stated as an intermittent tick an quickly turned full time. I've used pensoil platinum synthetic 5w 20 changed every 5k miles. Had it to the dealer today, they diagnosed it as a collapsed lifter and said they ordered all the lifters for the drivers side and will be replacing them. Anyone else have this issue? I've seen the posts about the 2012 heads being an issue but not later models. Hopefully the lifter replacement will fix it. Goes back in Friday for the repair.

Rob
I have a 2015 jeep wrangler. I've toke it to crysler jeep under warranty twice and they fixed it. They promised wouldn't happen again. Now out of warrantee a d would you know it's back.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
97,312 Posts
I have a 2015 jeep wrangler. I've toke it to crysler jeep under warranty twice and they fixed it. They promised wouldn't happen again. Now out of warrantee a d would you know it's back.
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.
Somewhat of a common issue. I suggest that you use a good quality Synthetic oil, 5W30 Weight and change it at 5,000 mile intervals. I really believe that this plays a part in it.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
If you have a lifter tick constant it's not going to get better. Oil cannot fix worn parts. You can delay the repair with good oil. Eventually, the valve train will go away, cam and all.

·
Oil System Solutions
2020 Jeep Gladiator
22 Posts
The real issue with the Pentastar design is the delayed oil delivery to critical wear wear components. Every Pentastar engine produced has a severe oil drain back issue. The oil completely drains back to the sump in about 35 minutes after the engine is shut off. Each time the engine is started, it takes up to 3.5 seconds for the heads to see oil pressure due to the fact that the oil filter and cooler have to be refilled and then have to charge the oil galley in the center of the engine. The heads and associated mechanical assemblies are the last to have oil delivery and pressure with the stock cartridge oil filter system.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The real issue with the Pentastar design is the delayed oil delivery to critical wear wear components. Every Pentastar engine produced has a severe oil drain back issue. The oil completely drains back to the sump in about 35 minutes after the engine is shut off. Each time the engine is started, it takes up to 3.5 seconds for the heads to see oil pressure due to the fact that the oil filter and cooler have to be refilled and then have to charge the oil galley in the center of the engine. The heads and associated mechanical assemblies are the last to have oil delivery and pressure with the stock cartridge oil filter system.
To think someone paid a huge amount of money for an engineering degree just to screw this up.

·
Oil System Solutions
2020 Jeep Gladiator
22 Posts
all about the dollars. I heard it was cam followers that weren't properly hardened.
Cam followers continue to fail after being replaced. One of our customers owns a fleet of ProMaster vans, he was getting pretty good at replacing camshafts and rocker assemblies before installing our adapters.

·
Oil System Solutions
2020 Jeep Gladiator
22 Posts
Are you saying that with a Baxter adapter I won't have to worry about valvetrain issues?
Most all Pentastar engines have some degree of valve train noise for a couple of seconds after startup, even new Pentastar engines. Any time you hear it, it's metal on metal and leads to excessive wear. The more starts, the more wear, even from components you don't hear. Pentastar engines simply suffer from prolonged dry start. Virtually every time a Pentastar engine is started the oil filter and cooler have to be refilled before providing oil to the engine. The only thing ahead of the oil as it travels is air and that is not good. So the sooner that our adapter is installed, the less you would need to worry about valve train issues or any issues pertaining to prolonged dry starts. An even bigger issue for boosted Pentastar engines.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Most all Pentastar engines have some degree of valve train noise for a couple of seconds after startup, even new Pentastar engines. Any time you hear it, it's metal on metal and leads to excessive wear. The more starts, the more wear, even from components you don't hear. Pentastar engines simply suffer from prolonged dry start. Virtually every time a Pentastar engine is started the oil filter and cooler have to be refilled before providing oil to the engine. The only thing ahead of the oil as it travels is air and that is not good. So the sooner that our adapter is installed, the less you would need to worry about valve train issues or any issues pertaining to prolonged dry starts. An even bigger issue for boosted Pentastar engines.
A couple of questions: How involved is this install, I didn't see any install videos on your website. I have a 2013 JK, any info on when this model year be covered by your product?

·
Oil System Solutions
2020 Jeep Gladiator
22 Posts
A couple of questions: How involved is this install, I didn't see any install videos on your website. I have a 2013 JK, any info on when this model year be covered by your product?
The installation video was off our website for some reason, however it has now been restored, thanks for the heads up!
Our 2011 thru 2013 version, MS-101-BK Cartridge to Spin-On Adapter and MR-101-BK Cartridge to Remote Adapter, are in final prototype/testing and will be available beginning this summer.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
The installation video was off our website for some reason, however it has now been restored, thanks for the heads up!
Our 2011 thru 2013 version, MS-101-BK Cartridge to Spin-On Adapter and MR-101-BK Cartridge to Remote Adapter, are in final prototype/testing and will be available beginning this summer.
Sounds good, thanks.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I just find it hard to believe the engineers developing the 3.6 would not know and correct a known oil drain issue. that within 35 minutes or so the oil filter and cooler would be completely drained back into the sump. Surely when you put an oil filter canister on the top of the engine the first thing you would address is maintaining the volume of oil in the filter. And the filter and housing was redesigned for 2014 so what was the purpose of the redesign?

·
Oil System Solutions
2020 Jeep Gladiator
22 Posts
I just find it hard to believe the engineers developing the 3.6 would not know and correct a known oil drain issue. that within 35 minutes or so the oil filter and cooler would be completely drained back into the sump. Surely when you put an oil filter canister on the top of the engine the first thing you would address is maintaining the volume of oil in the filter. And the filter and housing was redesigned for 2014 so what was the purpose of the redesign?
Well they did and it does! We don't understand it either. The 2011 - 2013 design was not good and self destructive, they utilized a heavy spring at the bottom of a center filter cage that has a bypass valve on top. Inside the spring is a sleeve with an O-ring that is not serviceable (you can't see it). When installing the filter and the cap, the spring is compressed and the O-ring is forced inside a port that serves as quick drain back to the sump for oil changes. However, we know it drains back and empties anyways in about 35 minutes. If the O-ring ever failed it would result in reduced oil pressure, you would never know it unless you had a pressure gauge.

On the 2014+ redesign, they integrated the bypass valve into the cap and the quick drain O-ring was integrated into the end of the filter so the O-ring gets replaced every time the filter is replaced.

In the case of both designs, there is nothing to keep the oil from both draining back or out of the upper filter assembly.

Our adapters simply correct this issue by keeping the upper oil filter assembly flooded.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Placed my order. My wife's 2015 has been repaired twice under warranty. Warranty is now gone, hopefully this will greatly extend the life of the valve train, and save some money and down time.

221 - 238 of 238 Posts