Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this has been covered I can't seem to find an engine oil thread.
I have about 1500 miles on my new unlimited /JKU is it?
Anyone know what the factory engine oil is it comes with?
I am a synthetic Mobil 1 fan.
Any thoughts on the subject?

Thank you gents.

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
I think this might have been covered somewhere once or twice...lol. But the general feeling is that you use what you like. If you wish to preserve your warranty, make sure it conforms to the Chrysler specs. Everything else is preference...
Joe

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just bought my 2015 JKU in February and the dealer mentioned that Chrysler is paying for the first four oil changes. I just got my first change this last weekend. 2100 miles.

I'd at least get your free ones out of the way first.

·
Premium Member
9,850 Posts
Just curious OP.. did you search "engine soil" by mistake? That would explain the zero search results.

There's about five oil threads going.. search mine and you'll see a cool video.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Yes 12th man it would seem my searching skills are lacking for sure.
Unfortunately, many forum members never read the Community Rules, under which can be found:

While WranglerForum does offer a search feature, we do not require anyone to use it before posting questions. We realize the search tool is crude and it is the helpful nature of this community that makes WF what it is and sets it apart from the others. Likewise, if the only reply to a thread you can offer is to "go search" or "use the search" please don't. Telling users, mainly new users, to just search is rude and can drive them away, as the can feel belittled from such comments. Not everyone is aware of how forums work, but most learn quickly.
Although in this situation, I think 12thman was just making a humorous observation.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Factory will likely be some concoction for break-in...likely just Pennsoil Yellow Bottle but I may be wrong. My dealership uses Pennzoil semi-synthetic and Pennzoil regular yellow bottle. I believe they also have Pennzoil full syn. So they seem to be all Pennzoil. For 10,000 lies or so, I like to run regular or semi-sun, after which I switch to stuff like Pennzoil Ultra or Castrol 5W30 (AKA "German Castrol"). I'd use Mobil 1 too, but their 5W30 had some relatively bad shear-down results a while ago, so I avoid them in the weight.

Since mine is a 2014, the dealer (4 free oil changes) used 5W20 as specified (5W20 for fuel economy reasons, mainly). I will likely stick to 5W20 till my warranty is over though I am reasonably sure they cannot deny engine coverage for that since the 2012 (same engine) calls for 5W30). Still, Chrysler can suck when it comes to these things.

·
Registered
91 Posts
m998dna,

Sir could you re-post your Oil Thread in the tech section? For some reason my computer at work will not allow me access to the general discussion forums.

Thanks,
J

1 - 11 of 11 Posts